Is the knock on Cordeiro or the offense?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: Is the knock on Cordeiro or the offense?

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/KodyCooke/status/1362137178269052929

CityOfWalrus
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by CityOfWalrus »

sarvicdar wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:18 pm Is the knock on Cordeiro or the offense?

I hear, see and feel fans frustration at watching Hawaii's passing offense this year. Who wants to watch their teams QB complete only 27/97 passes of 10 yards or more on the season? What's worse some of those passes were way off. It's either too high too low, in front of the receiver, behind the receiver and frequently the misses are like watching a dead duck fall from the sky.

The stats don't lie.

And my eyes see the truth and are unbiased.

On the season Cordeiro threw 23 passes of 20 yards or more to the right side and only completed three. Of the incompletions 3 passes were picked off. Take away the 400 yards he threw against New Mexico and he averaged 210 yards passing in the other 8 games. I'm not going to lie this is a huge drop off from past and is ugly to watch.

After Hawaii win over Houston, I listened in on 1420's fan phones. One would think the phone lines would light up like a Christmas Tree with well wishes instead the sentiment was what's wrong with Hawaii's offense, fire the OC, what's wrong with Cordeiro, and welcome to Chow ball. One caller asked if Cordeiro was tall enough to be a QB.

Is the burden on Cordeiro or the OC? Does Cordeiro have the arm strength and accuracy to complete the midrange and long passes that is needed to make this offense a success? Or is this vanilla offense/new offense tripping Cordeiro up?

I don't know.

I wish June Jones would answer. Somebody that's an expert at evaluating QB.

But what I do see, read and hear is lot of pent up frustration by fans that have watched Cordeiro this season. Even going back to last season Cordeiro's numbers in the run and shoot didn't exactly standout, like McDonald's. Which brings up the question if McDonald was leading this team this year (and a new offense) would the QB position be more productive? I think so. All I remember is seeing McDonald process the field quicker, release the ball quicker and have more of a rocket of an arm than Cordeiro. What was great about watching CM is that most of his misses were close and Cordeiro's was way off.

Below are the charts of McDonald and Cordeiro last season and Cordeiro's numbers this season. Hands down McDonald was the better QB.

It will be interesting to see what progress Cordeiro makes in the off season. But he needs to improve. At this point I more inclined to think that the OC is handicapped because of Cordeiro's limitation with accuracy on his midrange to long throws.

Cole McDonald in 2019

31/96-on passes 20+yards
70/114-on passes between 10-20 yards
203-268-on passes between 0-10 yards

326/511 63.8% 33 TD passes 14 INT QB rating of 147 pff.com grade-80

Chevan Cordeiro in 2019

6/21-on passes 20+yards
10/24-on passes between 10-20 yards
52/68-on passes between 0-10 yards

69/120 57.5% 8 TD passes 3 INT QB rating-137
pff.com grade-69

Chevan Cordeiro in 2020

10/57-on passes 20+yards
17/39-on passes 10-20 yards
98-126-on passes 0-10 yards

195/313 62.3% 14 TD 6 INT QB rating-129
pff.com grade of 65
It was a shortened season with an entirely new coaching staff on offense and no spring or fall practices. Give the kid a break dude looking way too much into this. Chevan is perfectly fine QB and we aren't a pass happy run n shoot offense anymore.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I get that we have a new offense. I get that QB and WR relationships need to be developed. I get that practice was very limited. What I don't get is flat out bad throws to wide open receivers. What I don't get is CONSISTENTLY missing receivers that are open deep. In Graham's offense a QB has to make the throws when the receiver is open. If he doesn't this offense will struggle and not put up the numbers that it can. Graham likes CC's leadership qualities, his toughness and his willingness to be coached. Hopefully he will learn, improve and play better. If he doesn't then we will see other QBs get a shot.

And I wouldn't count out Schager.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

TheDuke wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:31 am I get that we have a new offense. I get that QB and WR relationships need to be developed. I get that practice was very limited. What I don't get is flat out bad throws to wide open receivers. What I don't get is CONSISTENTLY missing receivers that are open deep. In Graham's offense a QB has to make the throws when the receiver is open. If he doesn't this offense will struggle and not put up the numbers that it can. Graham likes CC's leadership qualities, his toughness and his willingness to be coached. Hopefully he will learn, improve and play better. If he doesn't then we will see other QBs get a shot.

I agree. A basically non-existent spring and fall camp, new offense and lack of chemistry with new receivers is not an excuse for badly missed passes. There were even some bad throws in 2019 when we had the RNS. Let's hope he and everyone improved from last year.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:46 am
TheDuke wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:31 am I get that we have a new offense. I get that QB and WR relationships need to be developed. I get that practice was very limited. What I don't get is flat out bad throws to wide open receivers. What I don't get is CONSISTENTLY missing receivers that are open deep. In Graham's offense a QB has to make the throws when the receiver is open. If he doesn't this offense will struggle and not put up the numbers that it can. Graham likes CC's leadership qualities, his toughness and his willingness to be coached. Hopefully he will learn, improve and play better. If he doesn't then we will see other QBs get a shot.

I agree. A basically non-existent spring and fall camp, new offense and lack of chemistry with new receivers is not an excuse for badly missed passes. There were even some bad throws in 2019 when we had the RNS. Let's hope he and everyone improved from last year.
I agree with both of you on this. There were some shots downfield in 2019 that looked like it was up for grabs like a punt. I also like how Schager looks in highlight films and looks like he could provide some accurate throws downfield. Schager looks like he's probably reporting to fall camp. I would like to see JJ in a consulting mode, not to help implement a new offense but to work with the quarterbacks and see if there is anything that he sees that can help in Grahams Run and Gun offense. Ie, the way he recognized that Mac Jones was the best QB in the draft. Also work with QB/receiver communication which is so important in all the NFL offenses.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

shrek2 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:56 pm

I agree with both of you on this. There were some shots downfield in 2019 that looked like it was up for grabs like a punt. I also like how Schager looks in highlight films and looks like he could provide some accurate throws downfield. Schager looks like he's probably reporting to fall camp. I would like to see JJ in a consulting mode, not to help implement a new offense but to work with the quarterbacks and see if there is anything that he sees that can help in Grahams Run and Gun offense. Ie, the way he recognized that Mac Jones was the best QB in the draft. Also work with QB/receiver communication which is so important in all the NFL offenses.
There were a myriad of reasons these young men could have packed it in and not had a successful season. Let's play our role as fans and cheer these young guys along. I guarantee that all these couch QBs would be scared $hitless if they were in Chevon's shoes will a porous OL.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:10 pm

There were a myriad of reasons these young men could have packed it in and not had a successful season. Let's play our role as fans and cheer these young guys along. I guarantee that all these couch QBs would be scared $hitless if they were in Chevon's shoes will a porous OL.
Are you saying Chevan threw poor passes cause he was scared

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

EITSwarrior wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:54 pm
I clearly said the couch QBs chirping on this thread would be scared. To address your question about his passes, I'm positive the constant pressure impacts his throws for many reasons; timing, footing, reads, etc. Doubt 12 is scared for the record.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

I clearly said the couch QBs chirping on this thread would be scared. To address your question about his passes, I'm positive the constant pressure impacts his throws for many reasons; timing, footing, reads, etc. Doubt 12 is scared for the record.

I blame the school system for the poor reading comprehension. #Duh #ReadingIsFundalmental

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:06 pm

I blame the school system for the poor reading comprehension. #Duh #ReadingIsFundalmental
Everybody here is a UH fan so you really don't want to alienate anyone with name calling like "scared $hitless" or "duh" or "ReadingisFundamental". You might want to choose a classier approach in stating your point. UH needs the fan base to contribute to the well being of the program.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:02 am

Everybody here is a UH fan so you really don't want to alienate anyone with name calling like "scared $hitless" or "duh" or "ReadingisFundamental". You might want to choose a classier approach in stating your point. UH needs the fan base to contribute to the well being of the program.
I don't think everyone on here are true fans given the amount of disparaging comments and bandwagon ideas.

Ppl being unreasonable need to be called out and that's what I did. It is easy to lay blame from the couch in mom's living room. Without time in the pocket, it wouldn't matter if Montana was back there.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:54 am

I don't think everyone on here are true fans given the amount of disparaging comments and bandwagon ideas.

Ppl being unreasonable need to be called out and that's what I did. It is easy to lay blame from the couch in mom's living room. Without time in the pocket, it wouldn't matter if Montana was back there.
Take it easy. You are not the gatekeeper to the UH fanbase. We all are fans and have opinions. Granted some opinions may be unwarranted and harsh. But attacking other fans personally is not the way to go about things. I didn't think any of us and our criticisms were unreasonable and overly harsh. Speaking for myself I just stated opinions by what I saw on the field. Yes the offensive line didn't hold up well throughout the season, he had new receivers, little to no training camp to build chemistry and a new offense, but there were times where he had a clean pocket and had poor throws. This is something I noticed from Chevan since high school. I wish him well as a fellow Crusader, but I call it like I see it. Again I hope he and the rest of the team improve with hopefully a full spring and fall camp.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:47 pm

Take it easy. You are not the gatekeeper to the UH fanbase. We all are fans and have opinions. Granted some opinions may be unwarranted and harsh. But attacking other fans personally is not the way to go about things. I didn't think any of us and our criticisms were unreasonable and overly harsh. Speaking for myself I just stated opinions by what I saw on the field. Yes the offensive line didn't hold up well throughout the season, he had new receivers, little to no training camp to build chemistry and a new offense, but there were times where he had a clean pocket and had poor throws. This is something I noticed from Chevan since high school. I wish him well as a fellow Crusader, but I call it like I see it. Again I hope he and the rest of the team improve with hopefully a full spring and fall camp.
Before posting your opinions (especially those specifically about any UH players), please just keep in mind that some of the readers here (who typically browse but don't post) are not just UH fans.....but also family members (usually the parents) of UH players (often from the mainland). The site administrators & moderators can attest to this fact.
https://www.sportshawaii.com/sh/memberl ... ?mode=team

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

kapakahi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:44 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:47 pm

When posting your opinions (especially those specifically about any UH players), please just keep in mind that some of the readers here (who typically browse but don't often post) are not just UH fans.....but also family members (usually the parents) of UH players (often from the mainland). The site administrators & moderators can attest to this fact.
https://www.sportshawaii.com/sh/memberl ... ?mode=team
I understand. Believe me its tough to be in the stands watching your family, in my case my niece playing volleyball, and hear the parents of teammates criticize your family member. So I always took the possibility that a family member would see, into account when I post. Now I didn't have family on the team, but I did have friends and classmates who played and its tough to see when some people criticize them. But I always believed as long as you kept it to stuff on the field and not get personal then you didn't cross a line. Thats why I never took it personally when I saw post critical of my friends and didn't attack other posters.
If Palolo is a friend or family member of Chevan, then I apologize if you were offended by what I and others wrote. I just call it like I see it. If you think I'm seeing it wrong, then that's a different story. I took all on field variables into account. Again as a fellow Crusader alumni, it pains me to see flaws in my brothers. But like fellow QBs Timmy, Marcus, Tua and Jayden, whatever flaws they had, I was critical of them as I am with Chevan. It doesn't make me not a fan to be critical. I think it makes me more of fan. Was always taught you can't fix your flaws and get better if you don't identify what your flaws are. I'm sure Chevan and the team themselves will and probably already have identified the flaws and are in the process fixing it.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:08 pm
I never took it personally when I saw post critical of my friends and didn't attack other posters.
Just keep in mind that....not every parent and/or grandparent can do that (i.e., not take it personally)....since it is personal when it relates to their kid (more so than with just a friend).
EITSwarrior wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:08 pm
I'm sure Chevan and the team themselves will and probably already have identified the flaws and are in the process fixing it.
No doubt about it.