*** Official New Mexico Bowl Game Day Thread ***

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Re: *** Official New Mexico Bowl Game Day Thread ***

Post by Neighbor »

Other than selfish reasons, I'd only want Calvin Turner back so he can truly feel the love and aloha from the Hawaii fans. Sucks he'll never get to feel the electricity he would've brought to Aloha Stadium, but there's still a chance to play in front of crowds next year hopefully. If not, go get that money man

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Rough season with a great ending. Players stuck together and played hard. I can’t wait til next season. Imagine what these guys could do with some real practice time.

Way to go Warriors!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

I like how Graham brought the unexpected to start the game, Laulu at TE and H-back, Manning back at LT and MV moving over to RT and taking Pryor's place (I presume Pryor was okay because I saw him on the sidelines). Graham played his cards differently and may have caught the opponent unprepared. I think this move more importantly sparked the entire team. Just look at the energy level of the team looking on, seeing the team's most popular player playing TE on, what, a week's practice? I also think the coaching staff did their homework because BYU ran the same type of shuffle pass against Houston on the goal line successfully. Turner answering Houston's two scores with KO return was huge/ditto with Hunters hussle on the fumble recovery. In the first half I like the tackling of the secondary (there were some nice hits). I see that #55 had 5 tackles, 5 hurries on the QB (that's good), Pritchard had his career game grade wise (73 plays or so grading a 70. Prior to this game he was struggling with mid 40 grades on the season ). Murasau (79), Bethley (78) leading Hawaii's defense. I think the DC is very deserving of applause, 5 sacks by the D, 3 batted passes, 3 int is huge . With 5 minutes and counting in the game my only criticism is that the OC should be telling Cordeiro to run as much time off the play clock-that would make sense. But no. On successive plays I watched C start the play with 16, 12 and 9 seconds on the play clock. It's lapses like this that I think might bite the team in the future. Overall the win is big boost for program, and true to Graham's mantra (in his post game speech) he said this is the foundation and his coaches being the teachers to his players.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I was thinking ever since coach recruited a tight end, why not use Micah Vanterpool. He played basketball and at 6'6, should be able to get higher and should have basketball hands. Maybe the speed is not there. But Laulu has the body type so it worked out. As far as Calvin Turner is concerned, he would only gain by playing another year as he's only been noticed so would probably go undrafted but signed as a free agent. If he plays next year, and he does some of the same things that he did this year, he might be able to sign within the top 4 rounds. That's when he gets the bigger bucks. I was kinda disappointed by the two wide receivers. That looked like a pre-millennium offense for college and pro. Houston was playing more four receiver sets than UH was.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Full game replay.

Link

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Link

Good times. Nice post game hype by Manoa.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:21 pm Full game replay.

Link
Thank you. It's high resolution too.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:47 pm I was thinking ever since coach recruited a tight end, why not use Micah Vanterpool. He played basketball and at 6'6, should be able to get higher and should have basketball hands. Maybe the speed is not there. But Laulu has the body type so it worked out. As far as Calvin Turner is concerned, he would only gain by playing another year as he's only been noticed so would probably go undrafted but signed as a free agent. If he plays next year, and he does some of the same things that he did this year, he might be able to sign within the top 4 rounds. That's when he gets the bigger bucks. I was kinda disappointed by the two wide receivers. That looked like a pre-millennium offense for college and pro. Houston was playing more four receiver sets than UH was.
get used to it. we'll likely be lining up with 3 WRs or less on most plays next season.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

We can all agree that Calvin Turner is the magic man. No doubt MVP this year.

The next question is not so much about the Offense or Cordeiro. I think it would be Todd Graham. Will he actually build this "championship" team? If I was a mainland college, Todd Graham is starting to look good. They can throw millions, like nothing. University of Arizona, for example, bought out both the last two head coaches' contract. They got cash that UH just can not complete.

Unlike Rolo or even June Jones, they got something to prove, and UH was the stepping stone to something bigger and better.

Graham had that. Yes, I think he is trying to make his way back. Everyone HC have a ego. I think Todd Graham will leave in a year or two (anyone know the details of the contract?) not because he suck, more like because he is that good. IMO so far.

However, I think the key will be with his wife. Hawaii is a beautiful place. People still have Aloha (I think). I hope she falls in love with Hawaii. I mean, why would anyone want to live in Tulsa OK, or desert AZ compare to Hawaii. They got the $$$$, and really, if you look at the resume, TG does not have anything to prove. Enjoy the Hawaii job, and become the GOAT in Hawaii's football history. June Jones did not leave Hawaii well, and IMO, that's why he will never be back with UH football. TG can be GOAT. (I know, I know, way too early to use those words.)

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Behind the scenes with Micah Vanterpool before the game. Kind of a touching ending with the dinner with mom.

Link

AZWARRIOR22
Starter
Starter

Post by AZWARRIOR22 »

Very cool blog. Much mahalos !

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1344735080003096577

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:47 pm I was thinking ever since coach recruited a tight end, why not use Micah Vanterpool. He played basketball and at 6'6, should be able to get higher and should have basketball hands. Maybe the speed is not there. But Laulu has the body type so it worked out. As far as Calvin Turner is concerned, he would only gain by playing another year as he's only been noticed so would probably go undrafted but signed as a free agent. If he plays next year, and he does some of the same things that he did this year, he might be able to sign within the top 4 rounds. That's when he gets the bigger bucks. I was kinda disappointed by the two wide receivers. That looked like a pre-millennium offense for college and pro. Houston was playing more four receiver sets than UH was.
From what I've seen Graham runs an offensive scheme based on the D he is playing that week. He has a base offense but tweeks it on the weaknesses of the other team. He runs multiple packages with multiple personnel. He moves his play makers around. You've seen Turner, Stovall and even Hunter in multiple positions. This makes it harder for an opposing team to prepare for us.This offense will be lights out once they get the hurry up going. With familiarity with the play book, practice and repetition you will see a much faster pace in 2021. You will be able to go from a TE package with two backs and two receivers to a empty backfield with Turner and a big TE in the slot without substituting personnel and catching the D at a disadvantage personnel wise.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

The twitter version of this summary of the season is much clearer and better sounding than the facebook version.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Another Bowl week YouTube by Big MiK. Posted about 3 hours ago.

Link