Can Hawaii Pop Nevada's Balloon?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Nevada's riding high at 5-0 and is floating on a nice current, with it's sights set on the MWC Championship game. Can Hawaii spoil Nevada's ride?

Possibly.

A 5-0 Nevada team vs 2-3 Hawaii team matches up with a Nevada team playing a softer schedule, and in the teams five wins really hasn't faced a team that has a good QB.

Look at Nevada's wins against teams that are a combined 4-16 with 4 of 5 of Nevada's victories at home. The lone road win against UNLV.

You really don't know how good the Nevada team is because of favorable scheduling and getting good breaks. In last week's win against SD SD star RB was slowed by a sore ankle and SD new QB was playing with a pulled hamstring. So
it's hard to gauge how good Nevada really is.

One common opponent both teams faced was NM. Nevada beat NM 27-20 whereas Hawaii beat NM 39-33.

The big question is can Nevada defend Hawaii's passing attack and keep Hawaii's offense deflated?

One thing is for certain is that Nevada's defense hasn't faced the challenge at QB and WR that Hawaii presents.

And for Hawaii can the team play to it's potential and beat a team whose record and strength might be inflated?

Here's a Nevada team that may possibly run into a perfect storm, where all of Hawaii's shortcoming this season, finds a way of rising in this game.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Can Hawaii Pop Nevada's Balloon?

Post by RedZone »

We get chance. Fix special teams play and get a quicker start on offense. I am expecting our much improved defense to play better.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

One thing that has been consistent so far during this weird season is that the defensive coaches have been able to make halftime adjustments. Special teams went up against the reigning kick and punt returner in the conference from last year and why oh why did they kick the ball to him when the head coach said that they practiced all week trying to kick the ball away from the returner? Offense needs to find a rhythm and an identity. What happened to the offense from the Fresneck game? Now all Nevada has to do is put a spy and a defensive scheme on Turner and UH is a cooked turkey with all the trimmings.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I think coach sent a huge message when he replaced Manning at left tackle with Vanterpool and started Panoke at wide receiver. Will we see more changes? Coach rewarding players with discipline and production will go along way to putting it all together. I think it will take him awhile to tweak things but we heading ing the right direction. Coach Jones used to say once you got players on tape you know what they can do. And coach Graham watches a lot of tape.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

RedZone wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:38 am I think coach sent a huge message when he replaced Manning at left tackle with Vanterpool and started Panoke at wide receiver. Will we see more changes? Coach rewarding players with discipline and production will go along way to putting it all together. I think it will take him awhile to tweak things but we heading ing the right direction. Coach Jones used to say once you got players on tape you know what they can do. And coach Graham watches a lot of tape.
[/quote

I agree. He also said he doesn't care what his player did last year or the week before it is what his player is doing in the present.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Here we are, it's gameday. It would be so nice to hear the sound of Nevada's balloon popping, the players and virtual crowd going wild, and see the Warriors play a solid game and play to their potential. For the Warriors dig deep. Focus on one play at a time. No drops. No missed tackles. No penalities. But most of all no shooting yourselves in the foot. Good things can happen. Open up the trottle and really uncork it today. All for one, one for all. Go Warriors!

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Will we see a change at safety? Just wondering. I think there is a player that I would like to see more of there.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

POP!
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

A pleasant surprise. Coach Graham, his staff and his defensive team did a splendid job against Nevada's passing game. Bend but don't break against the run was ugly, but they did not permit any long TD runs. Bravo and hana hou!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Every school is dealing with the same things (no spring ball, etc.) This game tell us Hawaii is not that far off from MWC's best. Get chance - to ruin it for the "elites"

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

This team has some weapons on O ... Smart, Stovall, Bussey, Mardner, Bowens, Turner, Cordeiro. Looking ahead, I hope a big back is added to the mix ... like a Hekoti, Keliikipi ...
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."