OL Vanterpool Gets His First Start

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Here's a player that has all the talent (where rumor has it that some big name schools like Boise tried to poach him away from Hawaii before signing day) , is a hard worker, and is a team player. So it was welcoming (for me) to see him at left tackle against Boise's best defensive linemen.

For the 2017 HS graduate out of Arizona, a stop at a JC before signing on with Hawaii in 2018, his journey has been marked as a backup to the starters and leading gameday cheers on the sidelines with his rally towel. Against Boise (and looking fatigued after playing the most he's ever played in a Warrior uniform) guess who was up and about on the sidelines cheering on the defense on Boise's final drive? Vanterpool.

Last season I questioned why he wasn't seeing any action. For I have watched him during practices and to my eyes he looked the best, had the best technique yet couldn't get passed the front door.

I think, now, he has found a home.

One can hope.

For his first start against Boise I thought he played well. He didn't sparkle, but you can see he has the potential to shine. There's the display of footwork, technique, and quickness but mostly what lies in the players heart. You can see that grit, mobility and players passion. Against Boise he had the task of defending #55, Irwin, who had 2 sacks QB sacks against V (and 5 now thru Boise's first five), and yet what I saw is that V more than held his own against Irwin indifferent to what the stats read (though if someone made the argument that C hangs on to the ball-I would agree).

The beauty I see is that V will improve (and grow into being a good OL) greatly with additional starts and seeing action.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: OL Vanterpool Gets His First Start

Post by Irse »

He was signed straight out of HS. He did not go to JC.

https://hawaiiathletics.com/sports/foot ... pool/18789
ImageImage

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Vanterpool looked pretty good. He deserved the start and earned the playing time with this one.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Sacks
Fresno St 4
Wyoming 5
New Mexico 1
San Diego St 7
Boise St 2

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Thanks for the catch Irse. Now that I have read V's profile it's pretty impressive. In his high school career he gave up no sacks at left tackle. Was named to 6A all state first team as a senior. In addition he was named as a top 25 player in Arizona by the coaches. What's more impressive he graduated magna cum laude. This says a lot. In practices that I saw last season V's constantly working on his stance/technique in between drills. While other OL catched a breather, V was continuously working to get better. Then there was a time I saw V and 6'8" Moore working out with the WR that totally left me speechless. Both showed great hands and I thought Rolo was onto something (a secret weapon) but that was not to be. I still say V would make a better TE.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

For those who want to meet the players in this new normal take a look at Micah Vanterpool's YouTube posting which shows the behind the scenes views of players outside of the game. Below is his latest posting and it might be that since he has a full time job now, he may not be posting as often. Search Big MiK in YouTube if you want to see his videos.

Link

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

sarvicdar wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:58 am Thanks for the catch Irse. Now that I have read V's profile it's pretty impressive. In his high school career he gave up no sacks at left tackle. Was named to 6A all state first team as a senior. In addition he was named as a top 25 player in Arizona by the coaches. What's more impressive he graduated magna cum laude. This says a lot. In practices that I saw last season V's constantly working on his stance/technique in between drills. While other OL catched a breather, V was continuously working to get better. Then there was a time I saw V and 6'8" Moore working out with the WR that totally left me speechless. Both showed great hands and I thought Rolo was onto something (a secret weapon) but that was not to be. I still say V would make a better TE.
Maybe tightend on short yardage situations like in the RedZone. I never saw this change coming but did need to shore-up the oline. Chevan is taking too many hits. That’s how you lose your quarterback.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

RedZone wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:32 am
Chevan is taking too many hits. That’s how you lose your quarterback.
Recall when we first saw Cole McDonald. For the first 3 games, some of us was saying he could be GOAT. Then something happened. "undisclosed injury." Oh he is fine. True Warrior. But he was never the same afterwards. That's where we first saw Chevan - and his magic. I recall it was some sort of internal bleeding. Cole got better, but never look like GOAT again. And UH did win a few games by swapping out QBs.

Anyhow, the point is, Chevan is trying everything including sacrificing his body. I get it, Team guy, whatever it takes. But he is a small guy. Chevan is a true Warrior too and want that extra yard, but I don't want to see him hurt. I have not see the Magic in Chevan yet, but it's there. Hate to see it lost due to injury.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

According to pff.com-Against Boise MV graded a 55.2, 54.0 (PBLK), 53.7 (RBLK), gave up 1 sack, 3 hits on the QB, 3 hurries in 91 plays. Against Nevada MV graded a 66.0, 75.0 (PBLK), 59.0 (RBLK), gave up no sacks, no hits on the QB, 1 hurry in 42 of the teams 70 plays. Manning came/replaced in for MV (why?) for the remaining 28 plays and graded 60.1, 73.7 (PBLK), 55.4 (RBLK) gave up no sacks, no hits on the QB, 1 hurry in 28 plays.

What can be said is that MV (3 years out of HS) from his first career start last week against Boise to his second start against Nevada did make an improvement.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

MV saw his first significant action against Boise, gaining his first start of his career. He has started every game since, climbing the ladder, against Nevada, San Jose and UNLV.

In the four game stretch MV has shown improvement, where his season grade of 55 (according to pff.com) after the Boise game has now improved to 63 on the season. MV grades higher than TT (61), SV (60) and trails ME (65), GP (66). The player he replaced, IM, grades a 59.

On the season MV stats read like this-366 snaps, 199 pass blocking plays, 117 run blocking plays. He received a grade of 66.2 (RB)/66.2 (PB). He has allowed 2 sacks, 5 hits, 6 hurries, 13 pressures and 4 penalties (3 in SJ game).

MV biggest test of his career will come in the Hawaii's bowl game against Houston (I presume he will be the starter). The players he will be facing are likely to be #92, Logan Hall, 6-6, 260, who grades at 86. Or #98, Payton Turner, 6-6, 270, who grades an 87 (10.5 tkl/5 games). Houston's defense shows multiple looks, so at times MV will also be up against an OLB on the edge, probably, #30, 6-2, 245, with a grade of 64.

This game will be a defining moment in MV career, mostly because it will come against better competition, the NFL scouts at the game and with a good showing in this game it will be a boost for MV locking up the starting job for next season.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

With the Receivers not happy, I can see how the OL is not happy too (with the benchings). I recall Norm Chow saying, it may look like the same run play. And may be it is. But the blocking is different, and we don't always see that. TG probably think Rolo's OL need a lot of coaching as it looks like these guys can't block.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I really hope against all hope that the strength and conditioning coaches get the OL boyz into a great off season program, and when Spring and Fall camps are in swing that the OL coach can coach them up. Because. Just because.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Micah Vanterpool with his vlog on off-season workouts. Unfortunately, I don't think he has the permission to film the training sessions. It's kinda nice to see the other athletes from other sports on the vlog.

Link
Anybody know if they have a dietician working with the athletes? What he picked up didn't look all that healthy.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Vanterpool's blog on this week's workout. Not much on the actual workout but you can get closer to the players in the video.

Link

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:10 am Vanterpool's blog on this week's workout. Not much on the actual workout but you can get closer to the players in the video
Good to see the camaraderie among the teammates. Also some pretty impressive 3-point shooting by Doug & Micah.