What Do You See In The SD-UH Game?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

On paper SD looks invincible next to Hawaii, and is worthy of being a 9 point favorite that has climbed to 11. Off paper I hope Hawaii puts in a good fight and finds a way to win.

For Hawaii this will be a hard rock to break as SD is stout on both rush-pass defense, and in three games this season the SD offense has gained a substantial edge in time of possession over it's opponents 35 minutes to 25 minutes. In other words SD offense is it's best defense as it keeps the opponent's offense off the field.

SD game plan run (Bell), run, run and timely passes to the TE (Bellinger 6-6, 255), then controll the clock and possession with high percentage short passes by the QB (Baker). On defense it's mostly ABC-Aztecs Blank Cordeiro. That's what SD is banking on.

For Hawaii to have a fighting chance there has to be a spark. If QB Cordeiro can take some of the magic/ replication he had, coming off the bench at the start of the second half of last year's game against SD, and leading the team to a 14 play 96 yard drive for a touchdown and eventual lead and win over SD (14-11) that might be the answer. If Cordeiro, Turner and Mardner can build off their career days last week against NM, I see happy faces for Hawaii.

One weakness to note is SD return game defense, allowing opponents an average of 25 yards on kickoff returns and 11 yards on punt returns. Hopefully Stovall breaks one here.

There's a lot at stake in this game. Bad blood, bad taste, bad hate between the teams, especially how Hawaii won the last two games. There's a MWC Championship still in play and a post season invite to a bowl game with the losing team pretty much excluded from either scenario and chase. For Graham he can look back at the 2017 season when SD beat his ASU team 30-20 at home, a season in which he finished 7-6 and was let go. So I would think he would have a little more in his motivation this Saturday . Not to mention being one up on his counterpart at SD, Brady Hoke, whose coaching resume is equally impressive as his.

I have sights on Hawaii playing it's best game of this season this Saturday against SD. So make Hawaii proud, Warrior team!

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Re: What Do You See In The SD-UH Game?

Post by sarvicdar »

Another difference I see is that last year SD secondary faced a Hawaii receivers set that ranged from 5'9",5'9",6'0, 6'0 whereas this season Mardner 6'6", Bussey 6'2", Bowens 6'1", Turner 6'1", Smart 6'0, Cephus 6'4" may end up being a bigger challenge for SD defense. Another observation is that SD pass rush had only 1 sack each in its last 2 games against Utah State and SJ so if that trend continues and Hawaii's O-line gives Cordeiro time to pass, Hawaii may turn the table here imo. In the first three games of the season Hawaii has horrible starts so I hope the team/coaches are focusing on overcoming this problem.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

sarvicdar wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:10 am Another difference I see is that last year SD secondary faced a Hawaii receivers set that ranged from 5'9",5'9",6'0, 6'0 whereas this season Mardner 6'6", Bussey 6'2", Bowens 6'1", Turner 6'1", Smart 6'0, Cephus 6'4" may end up being a bigger challenge for SD defense. Another observation is that SD pass rush had only 1 sack each in its last 2 games against Utah State and SJ so if that trend continues and Hawaii's O-line gives Cordeiro time to pass, Hawaii may turn the table here imo. In the first three games of the season Hawaii has horrible starts so I hope the team/coaches are focusing on overcoming this problem.
yes, our receivers are bigger across the board and faster across the board. It will come down to how effective our running game is and how accurate CC is.
I like Reed but I like Hunter and Turner more. Both Hunter and Turner have enough shake that defenders don't get a good clean tackle and it is enough for them to break tackles.

On D if we don't slow down their rushing attack it will be a long night.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

In the NM game 9 different receivers caught passes, with 3 of the receivers averaging 25 yards per catch. RB Reed had 2 catches (it's a matter of time before he breaks one+with the RB occupying a defender it opens up another receiver+when Cordeiro goes small, small, small, boom he throws a long pass). Cephus, who had no receptions had 2 passes thrown his way (it's a matter of time before he gets in the groove). 5 different players carried the ball. If Hawaii can spread the ball out like this against SD, stretch the field, and have Cordeiro run the ball it will put a lot pressure on SD defense . That is want to see-the floodgates opening up even more. Hollis said on this week's BFF the potential is there. I agree.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

they will have a spy on Cordeiro. They will try to shut down our run, press the wideouts, put a lot of pressure on Cordeiro, force him to throw into tight windows or run. I believe last year we were able to beat them deep. We have the receivers that can do that at all 4 receiver positions. If we can beat them deep Cordeiro will have to complete a deep pass early. We need to stretch them vertcally. That will open the middle and force the LBs to support the pass. I think the SD D is too fast to beat them horizontally.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Will someone please teach the UH offensive line how to block? Pass blocking is porous. Run blocking is standing around watching. What was once considered to be the strength of the team appears to be the weakest link. Was the Fresno State game an anomaly?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I'm starting to see the same moves from CC when he scramble. The turn around backward move is too predictable. And he does not know what's on the other side. Often times, worst - a 6'5 300lb DL.

I want to see TG's guys play. Give them the reps, so they can get ready for next year