Spectrum just too expensive

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
travo66
Starter
Starter
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 11:48 am
MLB: None
NBA: Lakers

Spectrum just too expensive

Post by travo66 »

Doubt this would change anything, but getting more signatures couldn't hurt.

It really kills me that I can't watch these games. Listening on the radio just isn't the same...Then I get to watch the highlights and be more mad that I couldn't watch them live!

$70 for a single game, seriously???

http://chng.it/SqWnzsQX
Bored in the offseason? Join Goal Line Blitz!

User avatar
shrek2
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2543
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:53 pm
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers
Location: Mainland

Re: Spectrum just too expensive

Post by shrek2 »

This has been brought up quite a bit by a lot of people so I hope you manage to get something worked out. Has anyone stated that Spectrum is paying UH $X mil for the rights? If so, I can see the reason for the high charge. With the demand being great and there is still a lockdown of sorts, I wonder why they haven't set up large drive-in type situations possibly in the stadium parking lot with no one leaving their car (as in drive-in) and charging a nominal charge for those people in the drive-in. My cable company where I live actually gave us free premium channel viewing for about a month and a half during the shutdown. Goodwill goes a long way and I will stick with my cable company and not complain about future increases (within reason :D .) Good luck!

User avatar
My3Cats
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2395
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:36 am
Location: Mililani, HI

Re: Spectrum just too expensive

Post by My3Cats »

In previous seasons, Spectrum charged $75 per game for PPV.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8018
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:20 am
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers
Location: Kahaluu, Hawaii
Contact:

Re: Spectrum just too expensive

Post by Scott »

I don't have spectrum (Direct TV) but I thought they play it for free early the next morning?
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Image

User avatar
Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference
Posts: 1121
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:07 pm
Location: Hawai'i

Re: Spectrum just too expensive

Post by Neighbor »

I'd say it's not expensive. But I just don't want to support Spectrum. Plus it's the internet age and I've never paid for a single PPV but have watched a ton of PPV events for free :D
Last edited by Neighbor on Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2903
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:03 am
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, MIA, DEN
Location: ¡uɹɐqɹǝqṉ
Contact:

Re: Spectrum just too expensive

Post by ubercow »

Scott wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:12 pm I don't have spectrum (Direct TV) but I thought they play it for free early the next morning?
they do. I listen on radio and watch games on sunday

User avatar
RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 6503
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:11 am

Re: Spectrum just too expensive

Post by RedZone »

ubercow wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:02 pm
Scott wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:12 pm I don't have spectrum (Direct TV) but I thought they play it for free early the next morning?
they do. I listen on radio and watch games on sunday
What I hate is that I get to watch the game on game day on their premium channel but after that day they take it off the channel. I should be able to watch it all week if I want to. You know Spektrum is not hurting during the pandemic.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

Wyoming kicked our butts!


Welcome Coach Todd!!!

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3617
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:22 pm
Location: formerly So. Cal. (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: Spectrum just too expensive

Post by kapakahi »

Neighbor wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:01 pm I'd say it's not expensive. But I just don't want to support Spectrum. Plus it's the internet age and I've never paid for a single PPV but have watched a ton of PPV events for free :D
Then donate your PPV savings instead directly to support UH Athletics..... :hello1: https://twitter.com/HawaiiAthletics/status/1325256726317162496

travo66
Starter
Starter
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 11:48 am
MLB: None
NBA: Lakers

Re: Spectrum just too expensive

Post by travo66 »

My3Cats wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:20 am In previous seasons, Spectrum charged $75 per game for PPV.
Yes, it was more expensive before, but you could also go to the game. You could also gather with any amount of your friends and split the bill. You could also go down to your local bar or restaurant to watch it.

Right now, the only place we can watch it is at home, with your family, who you can't really split it with...
Bored in the offseason? Join Goal Line Blitz!

travo66
Starter
Starter
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 11:48 am
MLB: None
NBA: Lakers

Re: Spectrum just too expensive

Post by travo66 »

Scott wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:12 pm I don't have spectrum (Direct TV) but I thought they play it for free early the next morning?
They do, but then you gotta wait until after the game is done and you'll probably hear the result by then...
Bored in the offseason? Join Goal Line Blitz!

travo66
Starter
Starter
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 11:48 am
MLB: None
NBA: Lakers

Re: Spectrum just too expensive

Post by travo66 »

Neighbor wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:01 pm I'd say it's not expensive. But I just don't want to support Spectrum. Plus it's the internet age and I've never paid for a single PPV but have watched a ton of PPV events for free :D
Same here, usually, but I just cannot find a stream for these games...if you know of any, please let me know!
Bored in the offseason? Join Goal Line Blitz!

User avatar
My3Cats
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2395
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:36 am
Location: Mililani, HI

Re: Spectrum just too expensive

Post by My3Cats »

travo66 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:54 pm
My3Cats wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:20 am In previous seasons, Spectrum charged $75 per game for PPV.
Yes, it was more expensive before, but you could also go to the game. You could also gather with any amount of your friends and split the bill. You could also go down to your local bar or restaurant to watch it.

Right now, the only place we can watch it is at home, with your family, who you can't really split it with...
Spectrum just opened up PPV for restaurants. Also with Tier 2 since 10/22/2020, 5 people allowed for social gatherings. You still have a PPV option to split the cost. Where there's a will, there's a way. $70/5=$14 per head.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

travo66
Starter
Starter
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 11:48 am
MLB: None
NBA: Lakers

Re: Spectrum just too expensive

Post by travo66 »

My3Cats wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:29 am
travo66 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:54 pm
My3Cats wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:20 am In previous seasons, Spectrum charged $75 per game for PPV.
Yes, it was more expensive before, but you could also go to the game. You could also gather with any amount of your friends and split the bill. You could also go down to your local bar or restaurant to watch it.

Right now, the only place we can watch it is at home, with your family, who you can't really split it with...
Spectrum just opened up PPV for restaurants. Also with Tier 2 since 10/22/2020, 5 people allowed for social gatherings. You still have a PPV option to split the cost. Where there's a will, there's a way. $70/5=$14 per head.
Yes, they did just open up for PPV in restaurants, and that's a good start, but let's not make excuses for greedy companies taking advantage of local people during a pandemic...
Bored in the offseason? Join Goal Line Blitz!

User avatar
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 6850
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:51 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: Spectrum just too expensive

Post by SundayJam »

Yeah...how about they charge everyone $10 to watch privately? Restaurants can benefit by delivery. I don't know guys. The game time experience for Hawaii football live has not really been that enjoyable at your local bar venue. With all the screaming fans spreading corona virus...it just makes it that much less appealing.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 5815
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:15 pm

Re: Spectrum just too expensive

Post by poidog »

travo66 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:57 pm
Neighbor wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:01 pm I'd say it's not expensive. But I just don't want to support Spectrum. Plus it's the internet age and I've never paid for a single PPV but have watched a ton of PPV events for free :D
Same here, usually, but I just cannot find a stream for these games...if you know of any, please let me know!
ok, i'll share...

google "bluestacks spoof location"

you may or may not need to use vpn, but i may or may not have watched the first 2 ppv games like this... You may have to be on a non-Spectrum, non-cellular internet connection for it to work, though.

Post Reply