*** Official 2020 UH@Wyoming Game Day Thread ***

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: *** Official 2020 UH@Wyoming Game Day Thread ***

Post by Irse »

Neighbor wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:16 pm I don't know what happened, but our inexperience of having actual OCs killed us. We scored right before the end of the first half with the help of Chevan's long bomb to Bowens, but also by switching to wildcat and running the ball four times. The third quarter started with RUNS OF EIGHT AND 32 YARDS from Miles Reed. Then we NEVER CALLED A RUN PLAY AGAIN FOR THE REST OF THAT DRIVE AS WELL AS THE FOLLOWING THREE CONSECUTIVE DRIVES
Yeah, I thought we should have run more. It seems like we had some momentum. Missed FG didn't help either.
ImageImage

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I like how our defense played hard. Watching our offense was like watching a leaky tire going flat. I feel coaches will study film and see who the playmakers are. I think some need to touch the ball more. Our kicker is young. It is what it is. We still haven’t seen our whole offense according to coach and I am wondering what there is left to see.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

stranger_808
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by stranger_808 »

On national TV, bummers.

The D did what they supposed to do. The O needs fixin'. Offensive line needs work. I'd like to see as WR starters; Mardner, Smart, slots Stoval and Victor.
No mattah how critical, I support our Warrior players.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

We gave up a 40 yard return on the opening kick-off. The defense gave up the rest of the yardage for a touchdown. 7-0 Wyoming was the result. The next series, Chevan attempts to throw a...slips a...fumbles a...ball. Wyoming recovers. At that point it was game over. There were lots of mistackles by the defense, a blown special teams coverage, and a major mishap by the anointed QB at that point. The game was over.

We'll recover. Graham: get it done.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Splitting the road games isn't the end of the world. Considering UH's historical struggles at Bulldog and War Memorial Stadiums, 1-1 is pretty solid considering the turbulent off-season.

That said, honeymoon is over. That's the most vulnerable we've seen Cordeiro look (maybe last season's UNLV game aside). This team will have its peaks and valleys. Todd Graham is a good coach, but his staff is littered with newbies at the FBS level, and it showed last night.

Hawaii will be alright, I still think they'll be reloading as opposed to rebuilding, but problems exist no doubt. Wyoming won't be the last team to attempt to expose UH's lack of size/talent in the front seven.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

truncated schedule's first half for hawaii was front loaded with back to back away games and hawaii stayed true to not winning the second back to back away game. not a big thing. game's over. next rock.

the good news is that the first two games were scheduled this way to give hawaii three home games in the second half of the schedule. they can still end up 9-1 this season.

don't know why there was no other view of the last "interception" from the other side. would have been easier to accept that the ball did not bounce off the ground.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

J-Rod wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:54 am Splitting the road games isn't the end of the world. Considering UH's historical struggles at Bulldog and War Memorial Stadiums, 1-1 is pretty solid considering the turbulent off-season.

That said, honeymoon is over. That's the most vulnerable we've seen Cordeiro look (maybe last season's UNLV game aside). This team will have its peaks and valleys. Todd Graham is a good coach, but his staff is littered with newbies at the FBS level, and it showed last night.

Hawaii will be alright, I still think they'll be reloading as opposed to rebuilding, but problems exist no doubt. Wyoming won't be the last team to attempt to expose UH's lack of size/talent in the front seven.
True dat on playing at the WAR which is at 7,220 feet above sea level, J-Rod. Did some research...

Last night's loss was the 6th in a row against my Pokes in Laramie. Last win for your Bows in Laramie....1991.

And the best part....it was Hawaii's worse loss in Laramie since the 1996 classic. The last two times you all played in Laramie, you coulda won both.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

The silver lining as I see it is although it was tough loss, it wasn't like some of the blow out losses that we had in other MWC games where opponents scored 50-70 points. Also, Darius Muasau came out unrelenting and had 14 tackles and Donovan Dalton shined filling in for Eugene Ford. The cloud was the offensive line which has been a problem the first two games allowing sacks and having numerous penalties. They came in highly touted in the preseason as the strength of the team.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

UH should have been down 4 or 5 TD's in the first half. Because our defense held their own they gave our offense plenty chances to get TD's.

Our offense went up against good tall defense. They kept slapping down passes and making Cordeiro throw the ball higher than usual. He had a tough time getting the ball out. Some dropped passes too. The announcers kept saying the UH receivers were being hung all over by Wyoming and could not understand why they were not called pass interference. I agree with most of those no calls. They would have given us momentum and who knows, maybe more TD's.

Once our offense gets the kinks out they should be firing on all cylinders. I hope we have a good backup QB just in case. Now our team comes home. They should be able to practice that long ball more often. If our receivers can get downfield faster that would help.

I look forward to better games being played starting with New Mexico. No game will be easy to win for sure.

I still think Hawaii can win the rest. Fans rule!
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

I posted the highlights video in the Wyoming thread on the Sports forum if anyone wants to relive the horror.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Our defense played hard but they had too many missed tackles. At times our dline got blown off of the line of scrimmage. With that being said the defense is the strength of our team right now. Seems like last years oline was better than what I have seen so far this season. I still think that we have a lot of weapons on offense. I know coaches like big receivers but I would take a Jojo any day. We don’t have a player like that right now. Our best receiver is Smart. If he had more speed he would be deadly. But he does have the best hands. I know coach likes our kicker but maybe it is time for him to watch from the sidelines for a few games. This team really needs a kicker who they can count on right now.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Here's a wider selection of play highlights from last night's game. It's 14 minutes versus 4 on the Wyoming thread.

Link

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:54 am Here's a wider selection of play highlights from last night's game. It's 14 minutes versus 4 on the Wyoming thread.

Link
Mahalo, Shrek. :cowboy:

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Way to early to tell how Graham Run-n-Gun offense will work at Hawaii. For some odd reason coach Victor Santa Cruz has the Hawaii defense way ahead of coach G.J. Kinne Hawaii offense that is limping along. With a such short season 3 or 4 wins might be lucky and this team has some really-really good talent and since the season is severely shortened, it might be difficult to get superior clean execution on offense.

So as the saying goes sometimes its better to be lucky and than really good. Graham first season is a wash in my opinion, if things get back to pre-COVID-19 normal next season I expect an improvement to maybe 5 or 6 wins. Year 3 a seasoned veteran head coach like Graham should be getting Hawaii Bowl invite.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

The MVP for Wyoming is the center. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends being an AA, or playing in the NFL someday. That's what I take away from this game. It was frustrating watching Hawaii's tire deflate, and perhaps it was over inflated in the first place. Moving forward.