The Powers To Be Should Allow Some Fans Into UH Home Games

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

I'm talking about allowing a safe number of about 500-700 fans in attendance, spread throughout the stadium some 50 seats apart, with some couples and families in bubbles, but with the emphasise being that these fans be spread out, masked, and distanced from the UH players on the field. There would be no beer sales, concessions, or running around. Only the most deserving, safe minded fans would be in attendance.

I want to see relatives of the players, biggest boosters, loyal season ticket holders and students and faculty given a seat.

I wish the governor would have an open mind. Thirty riders on a bus, or patrons at a restaurant, or in a movie theater albeit distanced and under a closed roof are more likely/vulnerable in spreading the disease than these limited fans that are spread out safely under an open roof.

The governor can rescind his directive. All it takes is an open mind, non-contrarian thinking and a tongue. UHAD Matlin has all three. He's already in.

It would be a boost to the UH football team to see some familiar faces in the stands instead of ghost and cutouts.

In view of how the Covid-19 number of cases has come down, and the argument that allowing a small number of fans(done safely) into the open roofed stadium doesn't (imo) jeopardise the spread of Covid-19 any more than all the people (patrons, students) crammed in buses, restaurants , class rooms under a closed roof etc. during the course of a day, I wish the governor would think this over. In fact the governor should look at Ala Moana Park on any given weekend because there's 1000's there, densely packed moreso than a few hundreds allowed into the four home games at Aloha Stadium, which raises my question if he okay with one why not the other.

Hawaii's play-by-play announcer estimated a crowd of 200 fans during last Saturday's Fresno game. See. There was some leeway even after the California Governor said no fans allowed at the games.

I wish Governor Ige would see the picture that I see, and that there was a push of advocates (media, citizens, UH officials) that can reach out to the governor.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: The Powers To Be Should Allow Some Fans Into UH Home Games

Post by Irse »

Not worth having all the security and concessions people there just for a couple hundred. Would end up losing more money
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

The stadium has open up for less than 1000 people for church events, youth sports, sports clinics etc

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:07 am The stadium has open up for less than 1000 people for church events, youth sports, sports clinics etc
Who pays for the security and how much stadium personnel is needed for those events?
ImageImage

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

At this point UHAD is deep in red ink. And having a nominal amount of fans allowed at the game wouldn't make the hole that they're in any better or worse. In fact it may have some intinsic value (good will). If you are UH and receive the red light from the governor to allow some fans at home games wish for a green light and the effect a crowd (albeit small) has on the team versus that of an empty depressing stadium. Those 750 fans will feel huge to the players, especially if their relatives, alumni, alumni football players, boosters, loyal season ticket holders and some of their classmates are cheering in the stands. To me this is called goodwill and giving some reward to the players that make huge sacrafices in being here, playing for the state and being in a bubble (in isolation as not to catch the disease) throughout the season.

With every safety measure taken why can't allowing some fans at home games be doable?

I hesitate to think how this governor thinks, but I say the players deserve some fans and I beg to ask him why he scratches the stadium (a small, safe crowd), UH football, when the itch is equal if not greater at the big malls and beaches throughout the island.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

It would not really be worth it to open up for fans if you only allow less than 1,000. You need to think on the scale of teams on the mainland.

SEC has schools going on 20 percent of seats. Aloha is 50,000. 25% would would allow 12,250 fans in.20%capacity would allow 10,000 fans in.

To me, if you’re going to let fans in under masks and social distancing and get enough revenue to have a profit after stadium staff costs, you should go no lower than 20% capacity.

I don’t see it happening in Hawaii,though. The only games Hawaii fans are going to attend this year will be road games.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

unpaid wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:43 am It would not really be worth it to open up for fans if you only allow less than 1,000. You need to think on the scale of teams on the mainland.

SEC has schools going on 20 percent of seats. Aloha is 50,000. 25% would would allow 12,250 fans in.20%capacity would allow 10,000 fans in.

To me, if you’re going to let fans in under masks and social distancing and get enough revenue to have a profit after stadium staff costs, you should go no lower than 20% capacity.

I don’t see it happening in Hawaii,though. The only games Hawaii fans are going to attend this year will be road games.
Which road games might that be? The New Mexico/CSU game was cancelled last week because New Mexico had an outbreak in the County and on the team although the game was held in Colorado.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Close the upper bowl and endzones like they do for high school games, no concessions, no tailgating.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Control and social distancing measures could very well happen in the stadium. We been good at it since the Chow years. haaaa. But in all reality, it is the tailgating that would need to be axed. Sad, but there would be no way to police the parking lot for distancing, gathering numbers, masks, etc. It would be a nightmare. If folks are cool with no tailgating, then the game part could work.

BIK
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

bigislandkurt wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:27 pmSad, but there would be no way to police the parking lot for distancing, gathering numbers, masks, etc. It would be a nightmare. If folks are cool with no tailgating, then the game part could work.

BIK
Ala Moana Shopping Center, Costco, Beach Parks are all packed filled with cars parking next to each other so I think can do

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Aloha BW!...Costco and Ala Moana have different kine liability than state-ran, taxpayer-funded aloha stadium. The beaches are out of control because we simply don't have enough cops to spend all their time ticketing folks through all these crazy, on again, off again mandates. UH would need to hire double the police or security force for the parking lot. Hard to make those numbers won't work. The game can go on...but tailgating would come with plenty regulations.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I think all Power 5 schools do not allow tailgating. The very concept of tailgating is opposite of social distancing. Universities do not allow it, Even the three conferences that plowed ahead with a fall season (ACC,Big12,SEC) do not allow tailgating this year. Just the way it is.

Aloha stadium is state property. A tailgating ban would be enforced. As for Ala Moana and Costco crowds. The truth is that those are private properties. That’s why you wind up in court for a traffic ticket on a city, county,or state road, but good luck if you wind up in a fender bender on Ala Moana or Costco parking lot because it’s private property.

Every school is getting introduced to the idea that opponents might cancel because they have COVID outbreaks.Never know,Warriors might only play six games this year.

Fan cutouts probably make the fans feel good and if you want to express your support that way,good for you. To me it’s just virtual attendance. It’s not real attendance. If you have been to a game,you are there,probably getting charged more than 50 to be there,paying over the top for food,bit you are actually therehopes rise and fall on every play,second guessing with other fans....I could go on and on,but ,just me personally,I prefer being there in person.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

With Hawaii's cases of coronavirus being somewhat in control and not out of control like other parts of the country, I would look to a new normal which would allow seating for families or small groups not more than six people separated by 10 feet each much like at the parks. Masks would be worn until getting to seating. Temperature checks would be done at entry points into the stadium. I would look to not having police there but just stadium staff walking at a distance with walkie talkies and if there is trouble to have 911 access. No contact will be allowed with players and fans punishable for both player and fan.
Food concessions open with spacing but no alcohol. This new normal would extend most likely through next season with more discoveries.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

It is not going to happen. Because the governor, state leaders, media, UH officials have a herd mentality like that of sheep. Nobody is willing to speak up or lead. Nobody can think that if all the moving parts that are currently in place, like the opening up tourism on 10/15, the bigger crowds/persons at beaches, malls, swap meets, golf courses, some schools, restaurants (some which double up as bars and are circumventing the rules, I know), and a higher volumes of people hasn't contributed significantly to the daily number of cases-averaging 91 cases last week (71 on Oahu and the 4th best numbers nationally)then why do the so called powers to be exclude a few hundred fans at the stadium? To the thinkers of out of the box, fans can even submit to covid-19 test+ there are a number of free sites (i.e., Waikiki Shell) prior to a game. This in my opinion is doable. At this point it's not a revenue draw but the effect it will have on the players to see a few hundred fans cheering (including their relatives).

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Democrats are pretty useless. They only care about Japanese visitors. They could care less about the football team or any other sport at the university. It's all about supporting the team with real fans in the stands.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”