Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
travo66
Starter
Starter
MLB: None
NBA: Lakers

Re: Extra year of eligibility

Post by travo66 »

So with the re-start of the 2020 season, do these players still get an extra year of eligibility?
Bored in the offseason? Join Goal Line Blitz!

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... ips-spring
All fall sport student-athletes will receive both an additional year of eligibility and an additional year in which to complete it, as the Council suggested, through a blanket waiver.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I believe it only applies to sports that have their season cancelled and to athletes who choose not to play.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

TheDuke wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:48 am I believe it only applies to sports that have their season cancelled and to athletes who choose not to play.
....not according to a local HS football coach friend of mine who is still in regular (excluding in-person) contact with college FB assistant coaches (including from UH)….as well as his former HS players who are current college FB student-athletes.

According to him, the extra year of eligibility granted by the NCAA applies to all student-athletes (at least for FB) regardless of whether their team and/or they play in a 2020-2021 FB season or not.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

kapakahi wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:23 am
TheDuke wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:48 am I believe it only applies to sports that have their season cancelled and to athletes who choose not to play.
....not according to a local HS football coach friend of mine who is still in regular (excluding in-person) contact with college FB assistant coaches (including from UH)….as well as his former HS players who are current college FB student-athletes.

According to him, the extra year of eligibility granted by the NCAA applies to all student-athletes (at least for FB) regardless of whether their team and/or they play in a 2020-2021 FB season or not.
It will be interesting to see who uses that extra year and who moves on with their lives. If those guys graduate, what kinds of classes are they able to take or does it not matter at this time?
ImageImage