Extra year of eligibility

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
UnBiasFan
All-conference
All-conference
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:28 am

Extra year of eligibility

Post by UnBiasFan »

What do u’all think? I think it should be great for us and the new coach.

User avatar
Irse
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 13046
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:06 pm
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys
Location: Mililani, HI

Re: Extra year of eligibility

Post by Irse »

UnBiasFan wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:39 am
What do u’all think? I think it should be great for us and the new coach.
Would be nice. Hope we can afford it.
ImageImage

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:22 pm
Location: formerly So. Cal. (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: Extra year of eligibility

Post by kapakahi »


UnBiasFan
All-conference
All-conference
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:28 am

Re: Extra year of eligibility

Post by UnBiasFan »

If this stacks the bench on some teams, maybe a few prospects will have to look to lower teams. Are rosters going to be expanded?

User avatar
Irse
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 13046
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:06 pm
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys
Location: Mililani, HI

Re: Extra year of eligibility

Post by Irse »

UnBiasFan wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:16 pm
If this stacks the bench on some teams, maybe a few prospects will have to look to lower teams. Are rosters going to be expanded?
The ones who would use up their eligibility but UH has only so much space in their locker room. Don't know how they are going to deal with that.
ImageImage

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3677
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:55 pm

Re: Extra year of eligibility

Post by TheDuke »

it now becomes a cost issue. Players will be cut. Teams may also be cut.

User avatar
ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2873
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:03 am
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, MIA, DEN
Location: ¡uɹɐqɹǝqṉ
Contact:

Re: Extra year of eligibility

Post by ubercow »

yikes @ that participation screen #5: "Schools are prohibited from requiring student-athletes to waive legal rights regarding covid-19 as a condition of athletics participation."
which school floated this legal idea where they had to specifically put in a rule to stop this from happening?

UnBiasFan
All-conference
All-conference
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:28 am

Re: Extra year of eligibility

Post by UnBiasFan »

TheDuke wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:42 am
it now becomes a cost issue. Players will be cut. Teams may also be cut.
Really bad for some of the athletes. But some of the teams will get some hungry players that just want a safe landing spot.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3677
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:55 pm

Re: Extra year of eligibility

Post by TheDuke »

UnBiasFan wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:15 am
TheDuke wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:42 am
it now becomes a cost issue. Players will be cut. Teams may also be cut.
Really bad for some of the athletes. But some of the teams will get some hungry players that just want a safe landing spot.
The big schools will be able to keep all there players. They have the alumni, the boosters and more to keep their rosters intact. The rich will get deeper. We just can't afford it.

UnBiasFan
All-conference
All-conference
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:28 am

Re: Extra year of eligibility

Post by UnBiasFan »

TheDuke wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:32 am
UnBiasFan wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:15 am
TheDuke wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:42 am
it now becomes a cost issue. Players will be cut. Teams may also be cut.
Really bad for some of the athletes. But some of the teams will get some hungry players that just want a safe landing spot.
The big schools will be able to keep all there players. They have the alumni, the boosters and more to keep their rosters intact. The rich will get deeper. We just can't afford it.
Agreed. But what about the prospects that want to play. There may be less spots available on the big school rosters.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3677
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:55 pm

Re: Extra year of eligibility

Post by TheDuke »

UnBiasFan wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:41 am
TheDuke wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:32 am
UnBiasFan wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:15 am


Really bad for some of the athletes. But some of the teams will get some hungry players that just want a safe landing spot.
The big schools will be able to keep all there players. They have the alumni, the boosters and more to keep their rosters intact. The rich will get deeper. We just can't afford it.
Agreed. But what about the prospects that want to play. There may be less spots available on the big school rosters.
The next question is how many scholarship players can a team keep on the roster next year? If it is 85 you have to cut some scholarship players.

User avatar
Irse
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 13046
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:06 pm
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys
Location: Mililani, HI

Re: Extra year of eligibility

Post by Irse »

TheDuke wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:27 pm
UnBiasFan wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:41 am
TheDuke wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:32 am


The big schools will be able to keep all there players. They have the alumni, the boosters and more to keep their rosters intact. The rich will get deeper. We just can't afford it.
Agreed. But what about the prospects that want to play. There may be less spots available on the big school rosters.
The next question is how many scholarship players can a team keep on the roster next year? If it is 85 you have to cut some scholarship players.
Guys who would have normally used up their eligibility this year will not count against the 85. That is assuming the college can afford the extra scholarships and they have enough locker room space.
ImageImage

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:22 pm
Location: formerly So. Cal. (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: Extra year of eligibility

Post by kapakahi »

Just guessing....but probably not just a coincidence that NO new publicized 2021 scholarship offers have been made by UH starting in August (when the NCAA granted the extra year of eligibility to current football student-athletes)…..which would appear to be a very prudent move for UH....given UH's ever-shrinking available athletic scholarship budget….whereas some other MWC programs (namely Nevada, New Mexico & UNLV) continue to dole out new 2021 scholarship offers....

For those true UH supporters who can afford to donate (at least $10) to support UH Athletics (including UH football).....which will help towards replenishing the athletic scholarship budget.....https://giving.uhfoundation.org/funds/1 ... Code=21AUA

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3677
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:55 pm

Re: Extra year of eligibility

Post by TheDuke »

kapakahi wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:20 am
Just guessing....but probably not just a coincidence that NO new publicized 2021 scholarship offers have been made by UH starting in August (when the NCAA granted the extra year of eligibility to current football student-athletes)…..which would appear to be a very prudent move for UH....given UH's ever-shrinking available athletic scholarship budget….whereas some other MWC programs (namely Nevada, New Mexico & UNLV) continue to dole out new 2021 scholarship offers....

For those true UH supporters who can afford to donate (at least $10) to support UH Athletics (including UH football).....which will help towards replenishing the athletic scholarship budget.....https://giving.uhfoundation.org/funds/1 ... Code=21AUA
so why would a recruit commit to UH if he can't get a scholarship?

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:22 pm
Location: formerly So. Cal. (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: Extra year of eligibility

Post by kapakahi »

TheDuke wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:55 am
kapakahi wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:20 am
Just guessing....but probably not just a coincidence that NO new publicized 2021 scholarship offers have been made by UH starting in August (when the NCAA granted the extra year of eligibility to current football student-athletes)…..which would appear to be a very prudent move for UH....given UH's ever-shrinking available athletic scholarship budget….whereas some other MWC programs (namely Nevada, New Mexico & UNLV) continue to dole out new 2021 scholarship offers....

For those true UH supporters who can afford to donate (at least $10) to support UH Athletics (including UH football).....which will help towards replenishing the athletic scholarship budget.....https://giving.uhfoundation.org/funds/1 ... Code=21AUA
so why would a recruit commit to UH if he can't get a scholarship?
By not making any new 2021 scholarship offers, UH appears to be saving scholarship spots for the few remaining uncommitted top-tier (though probably long-shot) local 2021 HS prospects (Mokiao-Atimalala, Ho'ohuli, Kia, Sotelo). Otherwise, it would appear that it's first-come first-serve for 2021 prospects who received official written scholarship offers (beyond the initial verbal scholarship offer) and who are still being actively recruited by UH....the same basic recruiting approach taken for any other season.

Your question is rhetorical.....self-explanatory.....since a recruit can only commit to a program (including UH) that is still committed to placing the recruit on scholarship.....just like any other season.

Post Reply