ImageImage

uhwarriors

Re: 3* QB Brayden Schager signed

Post by uhwarriors »

:hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/AHoshidaSports/status/1357091980241604608 https://twitter.com/GJKinne/status/1357021939932401664
Last edited by kapakahi on Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

I'm very pleased/excited Schager signed. From watching his HS tapes again (2x now) he has it all going-naturally gifted, poised, elusive in the pocket, throws equally well on the run going right or left. His long passes hits his receivers in stride almost effortless. This will be a welcome change from watching UH's passing offense this past season. The upside here is that Schager became a starter this past season and is still growing and gaining experience as a QB. The other traits he has-a fierce competitor, leader (captain), good student, role model, and he definitely speaks well in front of the camera (you can see the confidence and charisma Schager exudes). His training coach, a former NFL QB, was quoted as saying bet the house on Schager-I agree. In all the years of following UH football this is the most excited and enthused I have of an incoming recruit.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I really really like this one.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

https://twitter.com/BabeLaufenberg/status/1357162354212016129

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

What Are Your First Impressions Of Brayden Shrager?

Post by sarvicdar »

What Are Your First Impressions Of Brayden Shager?

For his first start he definitely looked poised and composed. However stat wise might tell a different story-11/27, 116 yards Shager was still excellent on throws between 0-19 yards going 9 for 11. His other 16 throws, mostly all go routes, and the brainchild of the OC, was questionable playcalling. Just ask the broadcasting crew, and some of the shocked viewers that asked what's wrong with small chunks at a time.

What I liked about S is that he steps into the pocket and has a quick release. You can see that. That TD throw to TE Philips is a great example. Both Pryor and Manning took their defenders wide as S calmly stepped into the pocket and hit Philips in stride. That was excellent. The offensive line has to be loving it, protecting for S. For S seems to process the field quickly, having less hesitation and dancing around (than CC), and he slings it. There were also a couple of roll outs that he appears to be speedier (in my eyes) than people think (I could be wrong), but my initial observation sees that he was ahead of the persuit.

I saw two passes to the RB's, check downs, that were on the money and in stride. There was another screen pass to a RB that was executed well (and I wished the OC came back with that play) that was defended well.

That potential TD throw to Nishigaya, low, however I thought if the receiver had his hands on ball (which he did) he should have caught it.

Personally I think if S had Fresno's WR's and OC his numbers would be off the chart.

Yet the absolute one thing I like about S is that he kept his head up high even through all the adversity that went his way. There was no sulking on the sidelines (like CC has in games in the past) and I think his team mates pick up on this and want to fight for him. This game was a great example and I hope S has a bright future here.
Last edited by sarvicdar on Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Re: What Are Your First Impressions Of Brayden Shrager?

Post by sarvicdar »

Another factor in this game are the winds and what impact it may have on the QBs, especially on long throws.

At game time:
WIND: NE 15

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I think we just saw the future QB at UH. Love that arm and the way he throw the ball. Would still ride (and die) with CC as CC is better prepared and experienced at the QB position, this year. It would be hard to sit CC next year. TG may have to do that.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

my first impression was... *shrug*.

he neither won nor lost the game. looked good for a true frosh. made a couple of good throws when it counted, but did not have much of an impact on the middle 70% of the game. Bailed out by a penalty on an INT. Threw Mardner back shoulder instead of deep corner on a sure TD. Not exactly a threat to run for big yardage. the WR's did him solid by not dropping and tipping everything that came their way like they've been doing in the previous games. He looked very poised, however. the game was not too fast for him, which is a good thing for a young QB. He'll likely be really good.

I think it's really hard to know anything because we have no idea what our offensive identity is supposed to be, other than "establish the run". is he a better fit for this offense? who knows? If the defense can play this well on a consistent basis, the top trait we need from our QB is to not turn the ball over. He did an ok job of that.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Looked just as hit or miss as Cordeiro was in his first collegiate start. Shrager is the better passer, Cordeiro is the better runner. Shrager will get better with more reps and experience.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

sarvicdar wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:00 am Another factor in this game are the winds and what impact it may have on the QBs, especially on long throws.

At game time:
WIND: NE 15
Good point. Those 3rd quarter long bomb throws were going somewhat into the cross wind. May or may not have impacted the passes.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

he was ready to play in place of cordeiro, and the game was won.

however, the team made significant progress this week: o line held blocks so shrager had time to get the ball off; receivers held on to balls; running backs ran positive yards; turner's wildcat plays. d line was able to pressure haener into tossing interceptions and forced a qb fumble; d backs forced a wr fumble; d backs intercepted haener; d line stopped the big plays at the line. special teams made all their kicks for points and did not let fresno have a big plan.

it's easy to look good as qb when the entire team is performing on nitro. we saw more of turner as wildcat, although i don't think wildcat is appropriate, he's more an alternative qb than pure wildcat.

shrager was good. the team was better. i expect to see even more improvements on all phases of the game as cordeiro heals and returns for nevada's game.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Brayden's last name is "Schager"....not "Shrager".

https://hawaiiathletics.com/sports/foot ... ager/19505 https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1445111654920835075

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I saw a little boy thrown to the lions. He will be a good quarterback, but he needs some time.