2020 season

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Re: 2020 season POSTPONED eff 8/10/20

Post by kalua pig »

is the team going to continue practicing?

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

kalua pig wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:49 pm is the team going to continue practicing?
I was going to post on this yesterday. I am glad I didn’t. Because in one day, everything changed.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Lou Holtz stated the Pac 12 and the BIG 10 cancelled their season because of the demands being made by the players groups that were demanding financial considerations and the 5 year Covid healthcare provision. So far there are no players group in the SEC and a couple of other conferences. There are some players showing concerns but no formal player organizations like you've seen in other conferences. Players that are concerned can opt out of playing with no repercussions.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

UnBiasFan wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:36 pm
kalua pig wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:49 pm is the team going to continue practicing?
I was going to post on this yesterday. I am glad I didn’t. Because in one day, everything changed.
even if we don't play games,why can't the team get in pads and scrimmage?

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

kalua pig wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:25 pm
UnBiasFan wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:36 pm
even if we don't play games,why can't the team get in pads and scrimmage?
I would think that the NCAA will control how much they can/cannot do during this time.
ImageImage

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

ohhhhh.

the eff is effective.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

TheDuke wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:58 am Lou Holtz stated the Pac 12 and the BIG 10 cancelled their season because of the demands being made by the players groups that were demanding financial considerations and the 5 year Covid healthcare provision. So far there are no players group in the SEC and a couple of other conferences. There are some players showing concerns but no formal player organizations like you've seen in other conferences. Players that are concerned can opt out of playing with no repercussions.
That's an interesting perspective. What's the guess as to why the MWC cancelled?

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Re: 2020 season

Post by kalua pig »

kalua pig wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:43 pm let them play! let them play! let them play!
kalua pig april 21.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2020 season

Post by SundayJam »

SundayJam wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:42 am
kalua pig wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:11 pm
SundayJam wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:34 pm Sorry to be the doomsayer, but the news is not looking good this week.
sunday jam on june 24.
Braddah, college football has been my favorite sport for some years now. This was the most promising season for Hawaii football in quite some time for many reasons. The writing was, quite simply, on the wall.
Writing was on the wall...get it? (wink to Admins) Sadly, CFB is a super-spreader. Who hit the big payday from Hawaii recently? Jahlani Tavai did. The percentage of players making it at the next level just doesn't justify the risk they incur. Yes, we want to be entertained, but at what cost? Okay...maybe we want to be 'inspired' by our own brothers battling it out with the chosen ones of the media. Still, at what cost does this inspiration come? Hawaii is doing pretty good handling the virus, but what about our competition? I'd like to see a delayed season; when we, as a nation, come to our senses.

Irse

Post by Irse »

Looks like another player with a heart condition after contracting Covid. The other conferences should take a good look at the possible after-effects of this virus.
Are the conferences that postponed fall sports the only ones that had players with the demands? I can't remember which conferences had players with demands.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... d-covid-19
ImageImage

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

Irse wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:18 am Looks like another player with a heart condition after contracting Covid. The other conferences should take a good look at the possible after-effects of this virus.
Are the conferences that postponed fall sports the only ones that had players with the demands? I can't remember which conferences had players with demands.

PAC-12 and the Big Ten were the two P5 conferences that had players with demands. The MW also had players with demands. All three conferences postponed things although Nebraska's Scott Frost was hell bent on playing football and wanted the Huskers to join the SEC or the Big 12 for this season only. But the Big Ten told them that if the Huskers did "join" another conference for this season only, the Big Ten could kick them out permanently and that school would have to forfeit $51 million in T. V. money and that ended that hope for Nebraska football for this fall.

Irse

Post by Irse »

wyokie wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:36 am
Irse wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:18 am Looks like another player with a heart condition after contracting Covid. The other conferences should take a good look at the possible after-effects of this virus.

PAC-12 and the Big Ten were the two P5 conferences that had players with demands. The MW also had players with demands. All three conferences postponed things although Nebraska's Scott Frost was hell bent on playing football and wanted the Huskers to join the SEC or the Big 12 for this season only. But the Big Ten told them that if the Huskers did "join" another conference for this season only, the Big Ten could kick them out permanently and that school would have to forfeit $51 million in T. V. money and that ended that hope for Nebraska football for this fall.
So, do you think, if the players did not submit their demands, would the conferences try to play?
ImageImage

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

Irse wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:47 am
wyokie wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:36 am

So, do you think, if the players did not submit their demands, would the conferences try to play?

Honestly? Who knows.

I'm pretty sure the reason why the MW postponed the season was three things. 1) the mess in California where the pandemic is getting worse 2 ) NM's governors requested that all of the universities there to postpone the season which all but NMSU and UNM did. UNM and NMSU only did it after the MW postponed everything. 3) the major dumpster fire coming out of Fort Collins aka Fort Fart over players being told not to tell anyone wether they have the virus or not by their new head coach who btw is probably is going to be fired before even coaching a game at Fort Fart.

All of this never mind the fact, I'm assuming here), Hawaii still has 14 day quarantine period for anyone coming to or from the islands.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Link

This a real problem affecting many schools around the country.