Hawaii football team cancels spring practice, scrimmage

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

Hawaii football team cancels spring practice, scrimmage

Post by uhwarriors »

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/03/ ... scrimmage/
The University of Hawaii football team has canceled spring practice and the annual spring scrimmage, head coach Todd Graham confirmed today.

The first of the 15 spring practices was set to set to begin on March 27.

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the school suspended practices and team-related workouts through May 15, the last day of UH’s spring semester.

“The main focus is the health, safety, and well being of our student-athletes,” Graham said. “Second is their academics. That they’re performing and progressing toward graduation, and doing what we’re being instructed to do by the officials to make sure we’re safe and taking care of each other, and hoping this thing will pass quickly.”

By appointment, players are able to receive treatment in the athletic department’s athletic-training facility. Academic advisers are available through online communication, telephone calls or by appointment.

Graham said the coaches are in daily online or telephone communication with the players and their families.

“We can’t have spring practice, but we can still send them things through video where they can watch installations, and learn football, and study football,” Graham said.

Graham said he hopes his players can serve as role models during this situation.

“I tell our players you represent this great state, you represent this university,” Graham said. “It’s important we model the discipline that it takes to carry out the plan. … My own son is 18, and I’ve had to get on him about it. ‘Hey, this is a serious situation. Don’t ignore this. It’s important. A lot of people think this is not affecting them. It is. (If you get infected) you can infect others. You need to look after other people.’ The bottom line is we have to be disciplined in our approach to how we respond to leadership and the plan we’ve been given. We want to be an example to the community when it comes to that.”

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Hawaii football team cancels spring practice, scrimmage

Post by shrek2 »

I guess this is pretty smart by the Admin to take precautions especially in light of the fact that they believe that it will take 18 months to control the virus. Hopefully they can collect stats on who, what, where and how the disease affects athletes which may be able to help plan for the student athlete.

Growing up in Hawaii I never had a flu shot, can't remember having streph throat. If I got sick all I did was go to the beach and clear my nose and throat.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://www.hawaiiwarriorworld.com/foot ... -canceled/
https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus-2/haw ... ronavirus/ https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1240783274751868930 https://twitter.com/StephenTsai/status/1240814424048328704 https://twitter.com/RobDeMelloKHON/status/1240786476243144705

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

It'll hurt the progress of the team but it's the right thing to do.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

Now they are saying it's postponed to at least May 15 when is when school ends. Could they have practice then? Or would the NCAA allow an extended fall camp for those that did not have spring practice, assuming there will be football in the fall?
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Irse wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:08 pm It'll hurt the progress of the team but it's the right thing to do.
I think all schools are on shutdown of athletics so I expect early games in 2020 to be a very sloppy for all teams and all fall sports

Irse

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:53 pm
Irse wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:08 pm It'll hurt the progress of the team but it's the right thing to do.
I think all schools are on shutdown of athletics so I expect early games in 2020 to be a very sloppy for all teams and all fall sports
Going to be worse for all the teams that have new coaches and want to implement new systems. Might end up being a throw away season.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Irse wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:50 am
BigWave96744 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:53 pm
Going to be worse for all the teams that have new coaches and want to implement new systems. Might end up being a throw away season.
Teams with new coaches and new systems will be at a huge disadvantage without spring practice against teams that have the same coaches and systems from last year. There's no way you can install new systems on offense and defense in fall camp and be competitive against them. You need spring practice to install the systems and summer camp to fine tune execution and to add all the wrinkles that you'll need for the season. You also need spring practice to establish depth charts and learn the capabilities of the players that you've never coached before. Definitely could be a throw away season.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

uhwarriors wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:05 pm Teams with new coaches and new systems will be at a huge disadvantage without spring practice against teams that have the same coaches and systems from last year. There's no way you can install new systems on offense and defense in fall camp and be competitive against them. You need spring practice to install the systems and summer camp to fine tune execution and to add all the wrinkles that you'll need for the season. You also need spring practice to establish depth charts and learn the capabilities of the players that you've never coached before. Definitely could be a throw away season.
This. Hoping some of these practices can be added in July, even if it's just for install without pads, but needless to say this is a huge blow to program's breaking in new coaching staffs. Add in that September schedule...Graham and co. have an understandable mulligan this fall.

Irse

Post by Irse »

J-Rod wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:49 am
uhwarriors wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:05 pm Teams with new coaches and new systems will be at a huge disadvantage without spring practice against teams that have the same coaches and systems from last year. There's no way you can install new systems on offense and defense in fall camp and be competitive against them. You need spring practice to install the systems and summer camp to fine tune execution and to add all the wrinkles that you'll need for the season. You also need spring practice to establish depth charts and learn the capabilities of the players that you've never coached before. Definitely could be a throw away season.
This. Hoping some of these practices can be added in July, even if it's just for install without pads, but needless to say this is a huge blow to program's breaking in new coaching staffs. Add in that September schedule...Graham and co. have an understandable mulligan this fall.
All the PAC 12 teams have returning coaching staffs. Going to be a tough one.
ImageImage

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Right now the team has to do the best they can under the circumstances. I read or heard somewhere that the players are participating in online practices, going over plays, simulations, and film with their position coaches.I would also venture to say the players are resourceful (and dedicated)at continuing to keep themselves in good physical shape.

Irse

Post by Irse »

sarvicdar wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:51 am Right now the team has to do the best they can under the circumstances. I read or heard somewhere that the players are participating in online practices, going over plays, simulations, and film with their position coaches.I would also venture to say the players are resourceful (and dedicated)at continuing to keep themselves in good physical shape.
Now with more computers. Easier to do the mental reps and learn the playbook but nothing replaces actually running the plays. Now if the had a virtual reality program that had our new offense in it, that would be more helpful.
ImageImage