Stovall back again?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Stovall back again?

Post by cabanalane »

shoichikun808 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:27 pm supposedly he's been seen during offseason workouts practicing with the team. I think he's been reinstated
If he was off the team, I assume no scholarship. So did he pay rent in the Manoa area? What job did he get to afford that? Yeah, he would be on the first flight out I would think too.

When Kennedy Tulimasealii was off the team, he had to workout on his own (for that chance to comeback) to stay in shape.

shoichikun808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by shoichikun808 »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:22 am
shoichikun808 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:27 pm supposedly he's been seen during offseason workouts practicing with the team. I think he's been reinstated
If he was off the team, I assume no scholarship. So did he pay rent in the Manoa area? What job did he get to afford that? Yeah, he would be on the first flight out I would think too.

When Kennedy Tulimasealii was off the team, he had to workout on his own (for that chance to comeback) to stay in shape.
The student housing apartment aren't that expensive. Me and a few friends were contemplating that when I was in school a few years ago. He was slated to be a Spring 2020 graduate per his twitter bio and others have mentioned they seen him in the stands at UH games even after he got let go from the team. So it seems like he never gave up the chance to get back on.

He is being followed by Kinne and Bennett on his Twitter and even "liked" the tweets about Graham and such when he got the HC position.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Provided he doesn't upset the positive mojo on the team, he's got a lot of upsides going for him if he sticks around like being seen on a D1 team in his senior year and possibly getting into the Hula Bowl and possibly a tryout at least on an XFL team. But, he has to think how he can help the team win first. Nothing was said about him losing his scholarship so he may be on scholarship at least till Spring 2020 and its probably up to the coaches to extend or not. Hope he gets his act together and becomes the kind of young man that Graham wants to coach.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

graham's coached in the big time, handled players with bigger egos and better talent.

if stovall comes back with graham's blessings, you can bet it will be with graham's discipline too.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

If Stovall doesn't have a complete 180 degree change in attitude and actions, he won't last under the new coaching staff. It wasn't all about one penalty and his behavior that followed. It was an accumulation of many things. If in fact he is being given a third chance (already kicked off at CAL and UH), I hope he realizes it is his last chance and makes a sincere effort at becoming the best teammate he can be. If he does, he will be an important part of the success of the team and the NFL is possibly in his future.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

As far as housing, he was sharing a place with a bunch of the WR crew.

As far as things that may have affected him when at CAL, he had to endure the pain of his sister dying in a freak car accident
The Stovall brothers, who grew up in Lancaster, Calif., expect a couple dozen friends and family to be in attendance. But there is one person, their sister Melkyra, who both brothers wish could cheer them on. Melkyra died in August 2018 in a freak car accident. She was funny, outgoing, friendly and her brothers' biggest fan. But 13 months ago, she died at age 19, a wound that’s yet to heal, that will never heal.

“We will never get through it,” said Melquan, a freshman receiver at Nevada. “It’s something that will be stuck with us forever. Every time I hit the field, she’s with me. I know she always wants me to do good. I can’t take anything for granted because everything can be taken away from me in the blink of an eye.”

Melkyra was the lone person in her car when a Waste Management trash truck attempted a wide turn. The truck misjudged the turn and didn’t see Melkyra’s car. The Stovalls’ lives changed forever.

“It happened Aug. 1,” said Wanda Stovall, mother to Melkyra, Melquan and Melquise. “She tried to fight it, tried to hold on, but they declared her brain-dead Aug. 11 and took her off life support Aug. 14. Just seeing her deteriorate for two weeks was hard on us. With the grace of god, we’ll get through it.”

The Stovalls’ father walked out of their lives 16 years ago, leaving Wanda as a single mom to seven kids, including four boys, Melquan the youngest of the sons. Given the circumstances, family meant everything to the Stovalls, which made losing Melkyra gut-wrenching. Melquan said his sister was kind and respectful.
Read the whole article at
http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporte ... len-sister

Its coaches like Graham, Hull, and even Victor Santa Cruz who may be able to direct this young man, outside of football, into the right path.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Just to put things into a timeline, Melquise announced his transfer from Cal in May 2018 after his suspension.
https://247sports.com/college/californi ... 118166975/
His plans were to go to Arizona Western. Melkyra Stovall's unfortunate and sudden accident occurred in August of the same year and may have affected his decision to go to Riverside CC. If anything, his sister's demise may have affected his behavior with UH in 2019.

shoichikun808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by shoichikun808 »

It's official...Guess who's back... Back again...Stovalls back

(Spring roster has been posted)
https://hawaiiathletics.com/sports/foot ... vall/18777

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

let's go.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

how good is graham? graham is so good, stovall can't pass up a chance to play for him.

how good is stovall? stovall is good, but, needs graham's help and discipline to get to the next level, great.

graham's strength is committing himself to his players and getting his players to commit to him. this is better than reality t.v.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

st808 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:48 pm how good is graham? graham is so good, stovall can't pass up a chance to play for him.

how good is stovall? stovall is good, but, needs graham's help and discipline to get to the next level, great.

graham's strength is committing himself to his players and getting his players to commit to him. this is better than reality t.v.
Yeah, I agree. Todd Graham is a strong faith based coach with a high work ethic is one of the few coaches that I feel can work with Melquise. It's going to be an interesting story going into the next season and after.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:59 pm Just to put things into a timeline, Melquise announced his transfer from Cal in May 2018 after his suspension.
https://247sports.com/college/californi ... 118166975/
His plans were to go to Arizona Western. Melkyra Stovall's unfortunate and sudden accident occurred in August of the same year and may have affected his decision to go to Riverside CC. If anything, his sister's demise may have affected his behavior with UH in 2019.
Mahalo for the clarification

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:02 pm
st808 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:48 pm how good is graham? graham is so good, stovall can't pass up a chance to play for him.

Yeah, I agree. Todd Graham is a strong faith based coach with a high work ethic is one of the few coaches that I feel can work with Melquise. It's going to be an interesting story going into the next season and after.
Like Melquise, coach Graham was raised by a single mom after dad also walked out on the family. Graham could be to Melquise, what his HS coach was to him
After his dad left his mom with five kids in the southeast side of Dallas, Graham didn’t have a lot of guidance in his life, he said. Without an education, his mom worked three jobs to support the family.

He wasn’t sure where his life was headed. Then he started playing football for Buddy Copeland.

“[Copeland] was the meanest, toughest guy I’d ever been around,” Graham said. “He never said a positive thing to me — ever. He would grab you by your facemask and kick you in your tail end.”

But then Copeland would whisper in Graham’s ear and tell the young athlete that he was a stud football player.

He told Graham to stop feeling sorry for himself because he didn’t have a father. Graham said he thought Copeland was the most insensitive person he ever met.

“But somehow I knew this guy loved me,” Graham said. “I knew that he really cared. He never did anything but coach seventh and eighth grade football. He made a difference in my life in every way you can change a person’s life. And from that point, I knew I wanted to coach.”

Graham wanted people to look at him they way he looked at Copeland — as a teacher and a disciplinarian. Copeland was hard and tough, Graham said, but he made a difference.
https://pittnews.com/article/16129/arch ... -pitt/amp/

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

:hello1: I believe in redemption. There's a reason many human resource managers have a degree in psychology. I imagine managing young athletes is that much more difficult and most coaches do not have a psych degree.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

This is a big storyline for the season. Fly in the ointment or redemption. The best punt returner I've seen since Chad Owens with better hands. Physical slot/wide receiver. Is it going to work?