New Hire - G.J. Kinne - Offense Coordinator/QB Coach

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: New Hire - G.J. Kinne - Offense Coordinator/QB Coach

Post by TheDuke »

gophers learn a lot from the top men in the business. That's why you want to be a gopher. The same applies for other major businesses. At a fortunes 100 companies you vie to be an AA to executives. Yes, you are a gopher but you get to see how decisions are made and implemented.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I don't see anywhere in Gary Joe Kinne's resume that he worked 5 years for Todd Graham. It looks like he was struggling to make it in Pro football at quarterback mostly at Philadelphia and his only official gigs seem to be SMU, Arkansas and the Eagles. One thing we have is a former quarterback who even tried playing wide receiver for the Eagles coaching the UH quarterbacks and managing the offense. I would guess by his attempts to make the big show that he will be trying to win games to further his career.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._J._Kinne

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:32 pm I don't see anywhere in Gary Joe Kinne's resume that he worked 5 years for Todd Graham. It looks like he was struggling to make it in Pro football at quarterback mostly at Philadelphia and his only official gigs seem to be SMU, Arkansas and the Eagles. One thing we have is a former quarterback who even tried playing wide receiver for the Eagles coaching the UH quarterbacks and managing the offense. I would guess by his attempts to make the big show that he will be trying to win games to further his career.
Did someone say he worked 5 years under Graham?
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:40 am
shrek2 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:32 pm I don't see anywhere in Gary Joe Kinne's resume that he worked 5 years for Todd Graham. It looks like he was struggling to make it in Pro football at quarterback mostly at Philadelphia and his only official gigs seem to be SMU, Arkansas and the Eagles. One thing we have is a former quarterback who even tried playing wide receiver for the Eagles coaching the UH quarterbacks and managing the offense. I would guess by his attempts to make the big show that he will be trying to win games to further his career.
stranger_808 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:43 am A first time OC. I think Kinne was OC for 1 game in college and that's it. Much different when you have to actually talk to the players and explain your system. We'll see how he communicates with the players. Phillips is another one, only an "analyst", fancy name for Gofer. But, Phillips did coach 2 years in Texas HS before getting this gig, before that a 5 year "analyst" for Graham at ASU. Coaching in Hawaii isn't just coaching. We'll see rookie growing pains and mistakes when the team has to travel.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:50 am
stranger_808 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:43 am A first time OC. I think Kinne was OC for 1 game in college and that's it. Much different when you have to actually talk to the players and explain your system. We'll see how he communicates with the players. Phillips is another one, only an "analyst", fancy name for Gofer. But, Phillips did coach 2 years in Texas HS before getting this gig, before that a 5 year "analyst" for Graham at ASU. Coaching in Hawaii isn't just coaching. We'll see rookie growing pains and mistakes when the team has to travel.
My mistake apparently changed from Kinne to Phillips. I still put my money on Kinne over Smith/Stutz.

Irse

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:47 am
shrek2 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:50 am

My mistake apparently changed from Kinne to Phillips. I still put my money on Kinne over Smith/Stutz.
Definitely. I like that he learned under Pederson. Great coach.
ImageImage

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Irse wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:38 am I think he'll be a fine OC. Learned under Doug Pederson too. Who I think is one of the better NFL coaches.
Only one season as a coach with offensive projects (whatever that is). And the OC and the wide receivers coach at Philly was fired by Pederson.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

stranger_808
High-quality H20 provider

Post by stranger_808 »

TheDuke wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:46 pm gophers learn a lot from the top men in the business. That's why you want to be a gopher. The same applies for other major businesses. At a fortunes 100 companies you vie to be an AA to executives. Yes, you are a gopher but you get to see how decisions are made and implemented.
This is very true, but not what I was saying is my previous post. Not at all saying they can't be a good/great coach, almost everyone starts at the bottom in the coaching profession. But, a gofer, is what it is. Very limited to no "hands on" coaching experience. There will be growing pains. It is what it is.
No mattah how critical, I support our Warrior players.

stranger_808

Post by stranger_808 »

I must have missed it, but does anyone know what offense Graham will be running? I hope it's the RnS with a sprinkle of RPO.
No mattah how critical, I support our Warrior players.

Irse

Post by Irse »

stranger_808 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:27 am I must have missed it, but does anyone know what offense Graham will be running? I hope it's the RnS with a sprinkle of RPO.
Considering that none of the coaches have a history with the RnS, I doubt much of that will be run. It looks to be a 4 wide offense since we have no TEs and did not recruit any. Can't be two backs because we only have three on the roster. So will probably be a hybrid AIr Raid/RnS with very little RnS.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:31 am
stranger_808 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:27 am I must have missed it, but does anyone know what offense Graham will be running? I hope it's the RnS with a sprinkle of RPO.
Considering that none of the coaches have a history with the RnS, I doubt much of that will be run. It looks to be a 4 wide offense since we have no TEs and did not recruit any. Can't be two backs because we only have three on the roster. So will probably be a hybrid AIr Raid/RnS with very little RnS.
Wasn't there more blocking under JJ than Rolo by the WR? Seems like the intention is to find WR that can not only catch the ball but block for the other receivers as well as running backs catching the screen. I think, based on the WR's recruited, they should be more physical than the ones that graduated this year.

wilderstreet

Post by wilderstreet »

Gofer offense.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

The returning receivers and the QBs all have experience and can execute the R&S. The new OC just needs to spend time with them and know when to call an R&S play. Calling a R&S play won't be an issue. Smart coaches take advantage of what works and can be executed. Young OCs that love football will get it and use it to their advantage. And they can build their schemes and what works for them around it. My gut sya that this is a smart, hard working, young OC and as QB he knows how to win.

Irse

Post by Irse »

TheDuke wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:44 am
The returning receivers and the QBs all have experience and can execute the R&S. The new OC just needs to spend time with them and know when to call an R&S play. Calling a R&S play won't be an issue. Smart coaches take advantage of what works and can be executed. Young OCs that love football will get it and use it to their advantage. And they can build their schemes and what works for them around it. My gut sya that this is a smart, hard working, young OC and as QB he knows how to win.
The offense is a lot more complicated than that. Even after being in the system for a few years, WR and QBs in JJ's system were still doing it wrong. Sometimes they started running off the wrong foot or made their cuts off the wrong foot. Or made the wrong reads. And it's not only the QB and receivers but the blocking schemes too.
ImageImage

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

What I can say about Kinne is that he's seen a lot of football, mostly as a player at Tulsa and later as a practice player in the NFL (2012-2015) and then
as a GA, analyst, and offensive special projects for SMU, Arkansas and Philidelphia Eagles. As a player at Tulsa, he demonstrated his leadership
by being a 3-time team captain and having the skillset at QB by being named 2010 Offensive Player of the Year. But aside from being rich of who he is, what he's seen, where he's been, and who he's been around, he's actually poor at having the hands-on experience as an OC/QB coach. However, what I see that is working in Kinne's favor is that he has some good foundation that he's walking on (including his father that was a longtime HS coach in Texas) and his willingness to learn and be a student of the game. Plus having a boss (Graham) that has an eye of not picking fruit to end up rotting, and whom also has a track record of picking assistance that highly succeeds.