Re: New Hire - G.J. Kinne - Offense Coordinator/QB Coach

Post by vailima »

Maybe thats all UH can afford?

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

vailima wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:52 am Maybe thats all UH can afford?
Success in the mid-tier and in a relatively low budget program is all about identifying talent and potential that is not currently five star.

In this selection, we apparently have a highly competitive and successful athlete that is on track for a successful career in coaching. We obviously are not going to get an NFL coach high up the ladder. I have faith in the selection.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I think he'll be a fine OC. Learned under Doug Pederson too. Who I think is one of the better NFL coaches.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

They may not call it the R&S but I think everybody is playing 4 or 5 wideouts these days with crossing patterns. Hope they mix in a bunch of man in motion and different offensive looks. I think the R&S under the previous coaching was starting to get old.

Maui Boy in Alaska
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears

Post by Maui Boy in Alaska »

I love this hire. Smart young coach who will be a head coach one day. If UH offenses takes off like Tulsa did when he was the QB, he will probably only be here for 2 years. But will take it. Graham has a really good history of giving OC there first start and seeing them become head coaches.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Sonny Dykes made him the OC in the bowl game when he took over at SMU after Chad Morris left for Arkansas. He was only a GA coaching oline. Can’t blame him for what happened in the game but I hope it is something that I won’t see happen here. Any way for now I think that we are back to Phase 1 and hope to see the move to Phase 2 in the following season. I was hoping for a more seasoned OC. Even Rolo had to grow as a head coach when he got here.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

hope phase three kicks in. i'll be watching from my seats, cheering as always for hawaii warriors to play their best. and, win.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

st808 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:09 pm hope phase three kicks in. i'll be watching from my seats, cheering as always for hawaii warriors to play their best. and, win.
There is no reason to think this goes backwards into the dumpster. Experienced and motivated coaching staff taking over a successful team. We don’t have to match last years record. Winning record and another bowl game keeps us on track. This is very doable. I consider it likely. We need to quit thinking about the fails of the past.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

All coaches hire associates that they know. An associate is not a friend. Graham is good at identifying young people who turn into good coaches.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: New (Potential) Hire - G.J. Kinne - Offensive Coordinator

Post by RedZone »

EITSwarrior wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:14 pm
J-Rod wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:17 pm Huh. 31 years old. Three years coaching experience. Graduate assistant, offensive analyst, "offensive special projects". Now will oversee UH offensively. Quite the jump.
Not much different from when Rolo was hired by McMackin.
Not the same. Mac hired the Lee brothers as coordinators. Rolo was an offensive assistant. In 2009 Rolo took over play calling duties. When Ron left Mac then made him the offensive coordinator. Rolo was groomed prior to being elevated to the position. I think the mouse also had some input when it came to the offense.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: New (Potential) Hire - G.J. Kinne - Offensive Coordinator

Post by EITSwarrior »

RedZone wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:40 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:14 pm
J-Rod wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:17 pm Huh. 31 years old. Three years coaching experience. Graduate assistant, offensive analyst, "offensive special projects". Now will oversee UH offensively. Quite the jump.
Not much different from when Rolo was hired by McMackin.
Not the same. Mac hired the Lee brothers as coordinators. Rolo was an offensive assistant. In 2009 Rolo took over play calling duties. When Ron left Mac then made him the offensive coordinator. Rolo was groomed prior to being elevated to the position. I think the mouse also had some input when it came to the offense.
It is the same as in coaching experience. Rolo’s only coaching experience prior to coming back to Hawaii was as a QB coach as CCSF for two years. Kinne has three years coaching experience in both college and NFL.

stranger_808
High-quality H20 provider

Post by stranger_808 »

A first time OC. I think Kinne was OC for 1 game in college and that's it. Much different when you have to actually talk to the players and explain your system. We'll see how he communicates with the players. Phillips is another one, only an "analyst", fancy name for Gofer. But, Phillips did coach 2 years in Texas HS before getting this gig, before that a 5 year "analyst" for Graham at ASU. Coaching in Hawaii isn't just coaching. We'll see rookie growing pains and mistakes when the team has to travel.
No mattah how critical, I support our Warrior players.

Whateva
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Whateva »

stranger_808 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:43 am A first time OC. I think Kinne was OC for 1 game in college and that's it. Much different when you have to actually talk to the players and explain your system. We'll see how he communicates with the players. Phillips is another one, only an "analyst", fancy name for Gofer. But, Phillips did coach 2 years in Texas HS before getting this gig, before that a 5 year "analyst" for Graham at ASU. Coaching in Hawaii isn't just coaching. We'll see rookie growing pains and mistakes when the team has to travel.
Well hoped a lot has changed with Kinney for his play calling. He was young when called he the plays for smu in the Frisco bowl in 2017 and the offense rushed the ball well but well but the passing sucked. Smu also got blown out 51-10. He has to know hawaii needs a high scoring offense that constantly puts pressure on the defense and creates mismatches to be successful

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

stranger_808 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:43 am A first time OC. I think Kinne was OC for 1 game in college and that's it. Much different when you have to actually talk to the players and explain your system. We'll see how he communicates with the players. Phillips is another one, only an "analyst", fancy name for Gofer. But, Phillips did coach 2 years in Texas HS before getting this gig, before that a 5 year "analyst" for Graham at ASU. Coaching in Hawaii isn't just coaching. We'll see rookie growing pains and mistakes when the team has to travel.
NFL team Analysts or Quality Control Coaches or Assistants are far from “gofers”. They breakdown opponent’s game videos, analyze tendencies, do the analytics, self-scout their own teams, run the scout teams to prepare their teams, help prepare game plans, etc.

stranger_808

Post by stranger_808 »

uhwarriors wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:40 pm
NFL team Analysts or Quality Control Coaches or Assistants are far from “gofers”. They breakdown opponent’s game videos, analyze tendencies, do the analytics, self-scout their own teams, run the scout teams to prepare their teams, help prepare game plans, etc.
Put whateva spin you want, it's a gofer. They do what coaches and even GA's don't have time to do.

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... analyst-do
No mattah how critical, I support our Warrior players.