2020 Expectations with Graham

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: 2020 Expectations with Graham

Post by WarriorTyme »

I thought it was a 12 game season but with New Mexico making 13 game then I will adjust my expectation.

This upcoming season schedule is going to be brutal and changing offense and special teams coaching philosophy... I expect Hawaii to take some growing pain lumps early in the season and finish with 4-6 wins. I expect the defense to carry the team this upcoming season until the offense gives it firing on all cylinders. Got to temper expectations in year 1.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Feeling....good...good...good...expectations!!!

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I think we make it to the Hawaii Bowl
ImageImage

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Diamonded1 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:23 pm I’m a optimistic. Saying both Losses at Oregon
And Air Force I wouldn’t say losses yet . Coach Graham is a Defensive coach though his teams are known for his offenses . With a good Defensive coach and game plan it could be wins in either game .
Well, this is where Coach Graham will have to demonstrate he's improved as a coach. His defenses at ASU were awful.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

couz808 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:25 pm Forgot to add New Mexico State with total of 13 games
Corrected.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

kalua pig wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:40 pm my expectations for 2020 is a mwc championship and to play washington st.in the las vegas bowl.
Unless UH is a member of the SEC or Big Ten this coming season, no chance for the Las Vegas Bowl.

"Beginning in 2020, Mitsubishi Motors Las Vegas Bowl joins forces with the SEC, Big Ten and Pac-12 in the new, state-of-the-art Allegiant Stadium. The game will feature a team from the Pac-12 Conference vs. a team from either the SEC or Big Ten Conference in a six-year deal."

https://www.raiders.com/lasvegas/lasvegasbowl
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

7 or 8 wins. He will build on the positives that he inherited. He has a good OL, QB, Smart and Reed. He knows how to run a 4 wide. He will mix some R&S that Chevan and the receivers know how to execute and throw in some set plays to throw off defenses. Defenses won't know how to prepare for us......is this play a R&S or one of Graham's 4 wide plays. You will have to prepare for both. I think you will see more passes to the RBs and he will stretch the field horizontally as well as vertically. We did not stretch the field horizontally as much last year. I don't know if it was a talent or a coaching issue. I can see the D improving significantly, defense of Air Force will be much better and a more disciplined team from a penalty perspective which cost us against Boise in both games that we played them. The up tempo will have a fatigue affect on teams visiting. Time, distance, travel, humidity and now up tempo will be difficult for visiting teams to overcome.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

My3Cats wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:29 pm
kalua pig wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:40 pm my expectations for 2020 is a mwc championship and to play washington st.in the las vegas bowl.
Unless UH is a member of the SEC or Big Ten this coming season, no chance for the Las Vegas Bowl.

"Beginning in 2020, Mitsubishi Motors Las Vegas Bowl joins forces with the SEC, Big Ten and Pac-12 in the new, state-of-the-art Allegiant Stadium. The game will feature a team from the Pac-12 Conference vs. a team from either the SEC or Big Ten Conference in a six-year deal."

i guess i need to change my expectations.win the mwc championship game undefeated and play a 1 loss washington st. team in a ny6 bowl game.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

WarriorTyme wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:57 am ... I expect Hawaii to take some growing pain lumps early in the season and finish with 4-6 wins. I expect the defense to carry the team this upcoming season until the offense gives it firing on all cylinders. Got to temper expectations in year 1.
I agree we should always temper expectations, at least somewhat. But, remember, the upcoming year has a different feel to it than the Norm Chow let down year. We all are going to wait and see how it goes.

But I wouldn’t underestimate Chevan Cordeiro stepping up and playing at a very high level. I have always thought he has more upside than Cole. And he will get fans more excited than Cole did if he continues to be successful. We will get more than 4-6 wins. But equally important, the team will find an identity that I think was missing with Cole despite the success we had.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

UnBiasFan wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:53 am
I agree we should always temper expectations, at least somewhat. But, remember, the upcoming year has a different feel to it than the Norm Chow let down year. We all are going to wait and see how it goes.
That's the difference between Winning Championships and Chasing Championships. In an interview with Chow not long ago, he did admit that he (Chow) was better suited for being a Coordinator (instead of the HC).

So in some ways, hiring T. Graham has a "better" feel (at this point) than Rolo because Graham has been a head coach and know what he is getting himself into.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

UnBiasFan wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:53 am But I wouldn’t underestimate Chevan Cordeiro stepping up and playing at a very high level. I have always thought he has more upside than Cole. And he will get fans more excited than Cole did if he continues to be successful. We will get more than 4-6 wins. But equally important, the team will find an identity that I think was missing with Cole despite the success we had.
This is one of the sneaky topics for next season. Chevan has been great in relief, coming off the bench. Being the outright starter? It's been up-and-down. Only 17 points at home against Wyoming in 2018. Torched SJSU this past fall, but then went 4/9, 46, yards, and 2 INTs vs. a terrible UNLV defense away from home.

There is a sense that there will be no drop off from Cole to Chevan, possibly even an upgrade. That is something, IMO, that could prove to be a curve ball for fans next fall. I think there will be more growing pains with #12 than anticipated. Cole was never truly appreciated by fans.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

kalua pig wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:56 pm
My3Cats wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:29 pm

i guess i need to change my expectations.win the mwc championship game undefeated and play a 1 loss washington st. team in a ny6 bowl game.
I like this expectation better. But need to amend it with "beat the crap out of Washington State in a ny6 bowl game".
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

My expectations are that Graham's offense will use every tool in the toolbox at countering what the opponent's defense is showing. It will be a welcoming change to see RB and TE catching passes, quick pitches to the RB on sweeps, screens, end arounds, flea flickers, motion, and 1 and 2 back sets. And to see the QB go under center at the 1 yard line (w/extra OL) instead of out of the shotgun (and 4 wide). In other words I expect Graham's offense to keep the opponents D on their toes, especially running uptempo. On D I agree with his concept of attacking/blitzing but it also opens up to big plays and defense getting burned (his Achilles at ASU-his run defense was decent). I also expect players getting that extra push and motivation from the HC in offseason workouts and conditioning. The player that can benefit the most imo is Levao if he can return in the best of shape he's ever been.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

J-Rod wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:56 am
UnBiasFan wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:53 am But I wouldn’t underestimate Chevan Cordeiro stepping up and playing at a very high level. I have always thought he has more upside than Cole. And he will get fans more excited than Cole did if he continues to be successful. We will get more than 4-6 wins. But equally important, the team will find an identity that I think was missing with Cole despite the success we had.
This is one of the sneaky topics for next season. Chevan has been great in relief, coming off the bench. Being the outright starter? It's been up-and-down. Only 17 points at home against Wyoming in 2018. Torched SJSU this past fall, but then went 4/9, 46, yards, and 2 INTs vs. a terrible UNLV defense away from home.

There is a sense that there will be no drop off from Cole to Chevan, possibly even an upgrade. That is something, IMO, that could prove to be a curve ball for fans next fall. I think there will be more growing pains with #12 than anticipated. Cole was never truly appreciated by fans.
The loss of senior leadership is something that maybe the change up. We loss a lot of good senior leaders. It would have been easier to find new ones if Rolo was still here. With a new coach I wonder who will step up to the plate.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

RedZone wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:42 pm The loss of senior leadership is something that maybe the change up. We loss a lot of good senior leaders. It would have been easier to find new ones if Rolo was still here. With a new coach I wonder who will step up to the plate.
Just my initial view of potential leaders on and off the field.. Seniors:
LB Penei Pavihi
DBs Gene Ford & Cortez Davis
WR Jaret Smart
OL Taaga Tuilima
RB Myles Reed