SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Todd Graham officially new coach?

Post by SundayJam »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:07 am
Irse wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:05 am
SundayJam wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:10 pm

LOL...I loved Mac. Let's hope this is the next Ed Ogeron or Lane Kiffin.
Lane Kiffin?
That's what I say.
Both Ed Ogeron and Lane Kiffin suffered miserable failures at big schools only to come back. Kiffin was paid a mill at FAU and has just been hired at Ole Miss to the tune of $16.2 mill over 4 years. They are good coaches who made mistakes and turned things around. Let's not forget that ASU PAID $12mill for our guy to LEAVE. We are very lucky to get this good coach at a time when he can turn things around. From his interview, it sounds like he's gonna keep things real.

stranger_808
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by stranger_808 »

SundayJam wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:15 am

Lane Kiffin?
That's what I say.
Both Ed Ogeron and Lane Kiffin suffered miserable failures at big schools only to come back. Kiffin was paid a mill at FAU and has just been hired at Ole Miss to the tune of $16.2 mill over 4 years. They are good coaches who made mistakes and turned things around. Let's not forget that ASU PAID $12mill for our guy to LEAVE. We are very lucky to get this good coach at a time when he can turn things around. From his interview, it sounds like he's gonna keep things real.
Why is it a good thing for UH to pick up a coach who was PAID to leave? And, what is Graham going to turn around? We're coming off a 10-5 season, bowl win, and MWC championship game. I'm just trying to understand your post, I'm not trying to be a turd. lol
No mattah how critical, I support our Warrior players.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Lane Kiffin?
That's what I say.
I don't disagree with you on Ed Orgeron but Lane Kiffin went from NFL HC to Tennessee HC to USC HC to FAU. This will be his first year at Ole Miss so we can see what he does with another Power-5. I kind of followed him when he was Oakland Raider HC and he was probably too inexperienced at the time to take the position. Did not like his coaching there. Maybe that's what colors my view of Kiffin as a HC.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

stranger_808 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:42 am

Why is it a good thing for UH to pick up a coach who was PAID to leave? And, what is Graham going to turn around? We're coming off a 10-5 season, bowl win, and MWC championship game. I'm just trying to understand your post, I'm not trying to be a turd. lol
The question is not for me, but I like to throw my 2 cents in this.

When you have this kind of $$$ banked $12M, you take any job you want. Granted he got paid more than Rolo, but still minimum wage. But that's not the point. Let's cut the mustard, this is a stepping stone for Todd Graham, to get back to HC at a top school. He wants and NEED to do well to prove to everyone he is that Top Tier coach.

Rolo left for 3X his pay (don't blame him). Rolo need to make that type of FU money. Todd Graham may not leave for 3X his pay. 3X his UH contract does not mean much.

If USC or UCLA was to call, he would be gone. Aloha Hawaii.

So in someways, we are "renting" his services for cheap. He will not jump for money. He will jump for the next opportunity he think he is worthy of. And in order for USC or UCLA to call, he has to do well in Hawaii. Or Hawaii has to be awesome. If UH Football was to tank, his (head) coaching career may be over. Not really, but you get the point.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:43 am
That's what I say.
I don't disagree with you on Ed Orgeron but Lane Kiffin went from NFL HC to Tennessee HC to USC HC to FAU. This will be his first year at Ole Miss so we can see what he does with another Power-5. I kind of followed him when he was Oakland Raider HC and he was probably too inexperienced at the time to take the position. Did not like his coaching there. Maybe that's what colors my view of Kiffin as a HC.
Sorry, this is all OT but Ed Orgeron was mostly DC except for Ole Miss. He was passed over at USC although he was interim HC, then he went to LSU as DC, then became the HC and the rest is history. LSU became #1 in 2020 and USC is still searching for the head coach that will get them to the playoffs or even in the top 25. The rumor was they were looking at Urban Meyer as possible HC. This makes me happy that all these rich and shameless that live in Newport beach and dictate the direction of USC chose poorly like the final scene in "Crusaders of the Lost Ark" where the old knight says they chose poorly.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

I think it’s time UH updates the roster an remove all the coaches that left

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1221307295591591937 https://twitter.com/c_shimabuku/status/1221305188364910592

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I don't care if this guy uses us as a stepping stone. He is extraordinary. The fact that an elite school like ASU would thumb its nose at him doesn't phase me. While I believe Rolovich was our guy in the making, Graham is an actual proven winner. I just don't want another Von Appen or Chow. Chow rejected two of the best coordinators in college football in Rolovich and Aranda. Von Appen simply hung around. Both Von Appen and Chow were good recruiters. Guess what? Graham is also a good recruiter.

Yes, I'm hoping that this coach will redeem himself at our school. I'm hoping for another Joe Burrow, Ed Ogeron, or Lane Kiffin to keep this program aright.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

My sense is that Graham has been there and done that. He has done his homework on UH and I think he believes he has found a good match for what he would like to do for the rest of his life. Things change but I believe his intent is to take UH to the next level, build this program, develop players and coaches, coach as long as he can in Hawaii and leave the program in good hands with a successor. With the money these days if it comes calling I wouldn't feel cheated if he uses us as a stepping stone but I believe he wants this to be his last job and his home.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

kapakahi wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:39 pm https://twitter.com/c_shimabuku/status/1221305188364910592
Wow, what a hype. Love this man's energy.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

The stars seemed to have aligned for UH to land Todd Graham. He was clearly looking for the right situation (with ASU buyout in hand), and what better than a program that is trending upward? While we lose Cole, Jojo, Cedric, Sharsh, Hemsley, we pretty much have an intact, experienced OL returning with depth. Smart, Victor and at the end, Mardner showed flashes, and Chevan started some games. Blessman returns to anchor the middle of the DL, and there are LBs with game experience. UH is not in the rebuilding mode. If I can see that, it would not have gone unnoticed by real football guys like Coach Graham.

After reflecting on this, it does appear to be a no-brainer for Dave Matlin too. A G5 school landing a HC with P5 level experience and wins is rare. Sure, there was Bob Davie at UNM and Dick Tomey at SJSU, for example, but it's usually an FCS HC or coordinator/assistant seeking a HC opportunity. I really think I will enjoy this ride.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I thought I would share this ASU tribute to Todd Graham because it shows something about the man. I guess the best way to describe it is genuine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocMxz-UrG24

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

TG's exit from ASU was also political too. Winning is not good enough. Being good at what you do is not enough - anymore.

The same people who love Dick Tomey was also the ones who call for him to leave. Why would you want a winning coach to leave? Why would you fire him? He didn't got the Rose Bowl invite. UA never got close to the Rose Bowl since Tomey for the last 20 years now. Tomey is still GOAT in UA. Some football fans don't want to own up to what they did and how they treated Tomey.

Fans do have unrealistic expectations sometimes. And don't know when the best person for the job is (still) in front of them.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

There seems to be a feisty side to our new HC where he may have called Mike Leach chickensh**. Mike Leach got fined $10,000 for his comments.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... gton-state