Go Bows

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Re: Go Bows

Post by Nisei »

Bleed_Green wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:18 pm Wazzu and Oregon State are near the bottom of attendance in the Pac-12 especially during subpar seasons, and they're smaller than Aloha Stadium.

Tickets to UH games are almost like you're paying for a premium as the years go on compared to 90% of D1 schools.

Constricting games to PPV doesn't help either, makes people stay at home to watch a live game they can pay for.
Maybe only allow PPV for neighbor islands.

:)

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Nisei wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:26 pm
Bleed_Green wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:18 pm Wazzu and Oregon State are near the bottom of attendance in the Pac-12 especially during subpar seasons, and they're smaller than Aloha Stadium.

Tickets to UH games are almost like you're paying for a premium as the years go on compared to 90% of D1 schools.

Constricting games to PPV doesn't help either, makes people stay at home to watch a live game they can pay for.
Maybe only allow PPV for neighbor islands.

:)
Or delay by an hour..

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

https://www.fullertontitans.com/athleti ... D?view=bio

If Hawaii had Jim Donovan as AD instead of the clown that is running the department now, I would bet attendance at football games would be higher.

In 8 years at Fullerton Donovon's resume is impressive. 24 BW Championships, fundraising, and attendance at games at an all time high. The student section showing a 1200 percent increase. And last season Donovan was a recipient of UA's AD of the year.

Donovan makes Matlin look like a lost puppy.

When Donovan was here Hawaii fans had Vili, the cannon, Gaylord, the wave, beachballs volleying in the stands, Governor Abercrombie at games, M.R.C Greenwood (UH President-huge supporter) at games, two Monday QB Club, 30K fans routinely at football games, Coach Mack (very personable and warm) and most importantly a face behind the program.

Inotherwords attending football games, then, was filled with fun. Where Vili, himself, was worth the price of admission. And where fans could identify/relate to Coach Mack.

Now there's nothing, an emptiness. And how can anyone refute this?

I can remember Donovan/Mack having a rapport with fans, which is a foreign language with Matlin/rolo. Donovan would greet fans at the stadium, arena. Once I even saw him driving a golf cart, and shuttling elderly fans from the parking to the baseball stadium. He would also stand steadfast during the games on the sidelines. On the net he had a monthly Q and A (iirc was it this site?). Mack, too, would go out of way to greet fans at practice (trust me on this).

Donovan was passionate about his job and pounded the pavement to earn the fans trust. His presence, aura, was very noticeable. And in turn fans showed their support by attending games.

The same can not be said of Matlin. And it's sad to watch his lack of leadership.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

sarvicdar wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:18 am https://www.fullertontitans.com/athleti ... D?view=bio

If Hawaii had Jim Donovan as AD instead of the clown that is running the department now, I would bet attendance at football games would be higher.

In 8 years at Fullerton Donovon's resume is impressive. 24 BW Championships, fundraising, and attendance at games at an all time high. The student section showing a 1200 percent increase. And last season Donovan was a recipient of UA's AD of the year.

When Donovan was here Hawaii fans had Vili, the cannon, Gaylord, the wave, beachballs volleying in the stands, Governor Abercrombie at games, M.R.C Greenwood (UH President-huge supporter) at games, two Monday QB Club, 30K fans routinely at football games, Coach Mack (very personable and warm) and most importantly a face behind the program.

Inotherwords attending football games, then, was filled with fun. Where Vili, himself, was worth the price of admission. And where fans could identify/relate to Coach Mack.

I can remember Donovan/Mack having a rapport with fans, which is a foreign language with Matlin/rolo. Donovan would greet fans at the stadium, arena. Once I even saw him driving a golf cart, and shuttling elderly fans from the parking to the baseball stadium. He would also stand steadfast during the games on the sidelines. On the net he had a monthly Q and A (iirc was it this site?). Mack, too, would go out of way to greet fans at practice (trust me on this).

Donovan was passionate about his job and pounded the pavement to earn the fans trust. His presence, aura, was very noticeable. And in turn fans showed their support by attending games.

The same can not be said of Matlin. And it's sad to watch his lack of leadership.
I wouldn’t say Matlin is bad, it’s just that Donovan is putting in extra effort.

Also under Donovan’s watch he succumbed to outside pressure and “retired” McMackin and unwillingly hired Norm Chow.

stranger_808
High-quality H20 provider

Post by stranger_808 »

I believe Matlin’s doing a good job in his hires so far.
Last edited by stranger_808 on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
No mattah how critical, I support our Warrior players.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Donovan couldn't even hire his own coach and had to cave in to forced outside the department. Didn't he want to hire Dirk Koetter but got vetoed and settled for Norm Chow?

jhb3043
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by jhb3043 »

poidog wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:23 am Donovan couldn't even hire his own coach and had to cave in to forced outside the department. Didn't he want to hire Dirk Koetter but got vetoed and settled for Norm Chow?
Pretty sure this is what happened

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

As much as I agree that a new stadium, I wonder what would happen after it's built. Yes, everyone will go and check it out, then what?

Bruno Mars sold out that stadium, no? Not 1X, 2X, but 3X. Maybe not exactly, because the concert arrangement is different, but you get the point. Same place. And Peter got paid $240 million.

With that said, yes, a new stadium will help, but it's not it. Winning football does not seem to be it.

A smaller stadium will mean he need to do 4 concerts in Hawaii next time, or not to come to Hawaii at all. Too much work to do 4 concerts.

So Bruno Mars need to perform at UH football games. Mini-concert. Who like this solution?

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

sarvicdar wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:18 am https://www.fullertontitans.com/athleti ... D?view=bio

Also, Hawaii lost June Jones and Hawai’i Warriors

And added Ben Jay/Norm Chow and Rainbow Warriors

No wonder attendance is plummeting

shoichikun808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by shoichikun808 »

MRC Greenwood was the one that added Chow. Not Jay, although Jay was the one that didn’t want to fire him...Virginia Hinshaw who was the chancellor at the time was and still is a huge uh supporter that goes to games still today

If Donovan had his way, we would have had Koetter as HC instead of Chow and our program likely would have taken a different path down time.

Donovan was a good AD that just had a mishap with the Wonder Blunder situation
WarriorTyme wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:15 am

Also, Hawaii lost June Jones and Hawai’i Warriors

And added Ben Jay/Norm Chow and Rainbow Warriors

No wonder attendance is plummeting

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I liked Donovan, he seemed really personable. He still would be our AD if not for the Wonder Blunder.

Although Koetter is a good coach, his ASU teams had sexual assault issues. Probably would have gotten a lot of push back from the public.
ImageImage

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

how close to the schools are the other stadiums? could the distance between the u.h. manoa campus and the stadium, the need to take shuttles and the schedule of the shuttles be factors in the drop in attendance for students.

for the season ticket holders and game day purchasers, the fans are getting older and aging out of attending due to ticket costs, parking fees, long walks from cars to seats, high price of mediocre food and drinks.

40K seat stadium seems about right with modest ticket price raises. 35K would involve raising seat prices out of most senior age fans pocket book.

as it is now, i tell people who decide to attend to purchase the cheapest tickets and just consider the stadium as open seating. anything to get the gate count up.

Bleed_Green

Post by Bleed_Green »

st808 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:38 pm how close to the schools are the other stadiums? could the distance between the u.h. manoa campus and the stadium, the need to take shuttles and the schedule of the shuttles be factors in the drop in attendance for students.

for the season ticket holders and game day purchasers, the fans are getting older and aging out of attending due to ticket costs, parking fees, long walks from cars to seats, high price of mediocre food and drinks.

40K seat stadium seems about right with modest ticket price raises. 35K would involve raising seat prices out of most senior age fans pocket book.

as it is now, i tell people who decide to attend to purchase the cheapest tickets and just consider the stadium as open seating. anything to get the gate count up.
I have a cousin who is a engineer that works for the state. He has seen all of the concepts for the stadium, and they are all generic single tier oval bowl designs ranging from 28k to 34k seats, with press boxes on 1 side and luxury suites on the opposite end. All designs have a generic overhang around the entire bowl that acts like a giant breezeway that is very similar to what you see at HNL airport when you walking into the center concourse terminal. He wasn't allowed to give any input and says he hates the design because they had no LED boards that encircle the bowl that most stadiums have now days and looks like a bland FCS college stadium.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Bleed_Green wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:12 pm
st808 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:38 pm how close to the schools are the other stadiums? could the distance between the u.h. manoa campus and the stadium, the need to take shuttles and the schedule of the shuttles be factors in the drop in attendance for students.

I have a cousin who is a engineer that works for the state. He has seen all of the concepts for the stadium, and they are all generic single tier oval bowl designs ranging from 28k to 34k seats, with press boxes on 1 side and luxury suites on the opposite end. All designs have a generic overhang around the entire bowl that acts like a giant breezeway that is very similar to what you see at HNL airport when you walking into the center concourse terminal. He wasn't allowed to give any input and says he hates the design because they had no LED boards that encircle the bowl that most stadiums have now days and looks like a bland FCS college stadium.
We’ve all seen the concepts. I wouldn’t read too much into it yet.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Which stadiums? WSU and OSU have on campus stadiums.
ImageImage