Possible next head coaches for UH?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football

Who would you pick for the next Head coach?

Batoon
5%
Stuzman
38%
Brian Smith
3%
June Jones
13%
Timmy Chang
No votes
Another UH assistant that I didn’t mention
10%
Someone else
21%
They should dissolve UH football
10%

Total votes: 39

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Possible next head coaches for UH?

Post by cabanalane »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:38 am Cal Lee should be the next HC
I would fully support that 10 year ago. He is "too old."

stranger_808
High-quality H20 provider

Post by stranger_808 »

UH alumni or ties to the program is not as important as keeping the same Run And Shoot/RPO system & culture that's already installed. If you hire someone that comes in and changes our offensive system, it almost always means a total rebuild of player type. Our program doesn't need rebuilding, it needs continuaty and stability. It would be asinine to hire someone who will scrap the R&S for another system, it will be 1 step forward, 5 steps back for our football program.

The ONLY time it's open season to hire someone with another offensive plan is if you're a perennial loser in your current system. My picks would be coach Smith or Miano if Miano keeps our offensive system. No to Timmy Chang, IMO, he's not a good enough leader. That's just my opinion. A Smith hire would squash any anxiety and instability fears our players may have, our players already know him and know what to expect from him. Nothing would really change, except Smith won't play dress-up. lol
Last edited by stranger_808 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
No mattah how critical, I support our Warrior players.

Wild Warrior

Post by Wild Warrior »

Let me tell you a story about Rich Miano. After the 2011 season when Mack left and Chow came in, the graduating senior players were left in the lurch. Chow said he had no plans of holding a pro day for the seniors as they were not his players and he was busy preparing for his first spring ball. Rich Miano stepped forward and contacted the NFL teams and organized a UH Pro Day at the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA for the graduating UH players. Rich and as I recall Coach Gordy Shaw were there and coordinated the event. Rich was no longer on staff and had no economic incentive to do what he did. That showed that he was committed to those who wear the UH uniform and embraces the meaning of ohana. For that reason, I would strongly support Rich Miano receiving strong consideration for the HC job.

stranger_808

Post by stranger_808 »

Wild Warrior wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:58 am Let me tell you a story about Rich Miano. After the 2011 season when Mack left and Chow came in, the graduating senior players were left in the lurch. Chow said he had no plans of holding a pro day for the seniors as they were not his players and he was busy preparing for his first spring ball. Rich Miano stepped forward and contacted the NFL teams and organized a UH Pro Day at the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA for the graduating UH players. Rich and as I recall Coach Gordy Shaw were there and coordinated the event. Rich was no longer on staff and had no economic incentive to do what he did. That showed that he was committed to those who wear the UH uniform and embraces the meaning of ohana. For that reason, I would strongly support Rich Miano receiving strong consideration for the HC job.
I'm okay with a Miano hire, as long as he keeps Smith and/or Stutz as OC. If Miano is hired, we know he's here for the long haul. Miano could be coaching on the mainland but chose to stay home all these years.
No mattah how critical, I support our Warrior players.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Why not think out of the box? Any reason why Rocky Long or Chris Petersen can't be talked out of retirement for one year? My preference though would be for Banker or Miano to take the helm and fill their own assistant coaching positions. My belief is that both of them would be smart enough to keep the current staff in place. I'm fine though with Brian Smith going on with his buddy to Pullman.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

stranger_808 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:04 am

I'm okay with a Miano hire, as long as he keeps Smith and/or Stutz as OC. If Miano is hired, we know he's here for the long haul. Miano could be coaching on the mainland but chose to stay home all these years.
I would agree with this also. Miano has been away from football to "bring in his guys." I would think he would keep everyone, let all the coaches do their thing, and just focus on being HC.

And like you said, yes, Miano is from the mainland, but Hawaii is his home and I don't see him leaving. Stuz, Smith, Abe, CB, etc, will leave in a second. They may have Hawaii connection, but it's not the same, or same anymore for the local boys.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

- Dick Tomey - Successful Coach, left for Arizona
- DC Wagner recommend, succeeded, won the WAC
- Fred Von Appen, no ties to UH, failed

- June Jones - former player, successful coach, left for SMU
- DC Greg McMakin, recommend, succeeded, won the WAC
- Norm Chow, no ties to UH, failed

Nick Rolovich- former player, successful coach, left for WSU

Short list per StarAdvertiser
(Stutz, Smith, Banker, Cavanaugh). Since Batoon not mentioned, assume he is going with Rolo.
Will History Repeat itself?

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Rich was on the Bobby Curran show and said he is interested but also realizes he's been out of coaching for 4 years. Said he would support any coach hired. Said UH should seek a coach that won't be leaving anytime soon. He should be back on staff in some capacity.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Fred von Appen and Norm Chow did not have head coaching experience and UH took a chance on them. I can't figure von Appen because he had no Hawaii experience. At least Chow grew up here and played against UH as a Coordinator for one team or another and he recruited Hawaii players.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:25 am Rich was on the Bobby Curran show and said he is interested but also realizes he's been out of coaching for 4 years. Said he would support any coach hired. Said UH should seek a coach that won't be leaving anytime soon. He should be back on staff in some capacity.
That's priming for his hiring. (You should have hired me the first time...)

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:38 am Fred von Appen and Norm Chow did not have head coaching experience and UH took a chance on them. I can't figure von Appen because he had no Hawaii experience. At least Chow grew up here and played against UH as a Coordinator for one team or another and he recruited Hawaii players.
Wags, Mack & Rolo had no HC experience but they knew the landscape and developed great assistant coaches

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

At this point with all of the uncertainty, I'd go with Banker for HC, elevate Stutz to OC, work like heck to retain Batoon as DC, and definitely keep Weber for OL.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Question is also who Leach will take from WSU. Leach recommended Rolo, so I'm assuming Rolo doesn't clean house of the current WAZZU coaches

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:38 am Fred von Appen and Norm Chow did not have head coaching experience and UH took a chance on them. I can't figure von Appen because he had no Hawaii experience. At least Chow grew up here and played against UH as a Coordinator for one team or another and he recruited Hawaii players.
Because Superbowl Champs 2X. At that time, you would hire anyone from the Bill Walsh tree.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/ ... nitiesJobs

Description
Title: UH Head Football Coach
Position Number: 0080110
Hiring Unit: UHM Athletics
Date Posted: January 13, 2020
Closing Date: Continuous Recruitment
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time

Other Conditions: Continuous recruitment until programmatic needs are met. For best consideration, review of applications will begin on Tuesday, January 21, 2020.

Matlin should have this all figured out in, what, 7-10 days?