Possible next head coaches for UH?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football

Who would you pick for the next Head coach?

Batoon
5%
Stuzman
38%
Brian Smith
3%
June Jones
13%
Timmy Chang
No votes
Another UH assistant that I didn’t mention
10%
Someone else
21%
They should dissolve UH football
10%

Total votes: 39

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: Possible next head coaches for UH?

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1219708263815450624

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Interesting. R&S offense is part of Hawai`i's identity. Robert Anae has a vision for his program if and when he's tabbed to be a HC, and R&S is obviously not a part of it. He'd also have to undo several years of players who were specifically recruited for this offense. Too much of a headache, I imagine, and better off sticking with Bronco until another opening comes up where he can implement his vision. Figured it out before he stepped in poo, but the positive for him is that he got his name out there for other potential HC jobs in the future - including BYU if the fans turn on Kalani Sitake.

shoichikun808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by shoichikun808 »

Duster wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:14 am Interesting. R&S offense is part of Hawai`i's identity. Robert Anae has a vision for his program if and when he's tabbed to be a HC, and R&S is obviously not a part of it. He'd also have to undo several years of players who were specifically recruited for this offense. Too much of a headache, I imagine, and better off sticking with Bronco until another opening comes up where he can implement his vision. Figured it out before he stepped in poo, but the positive for him is that he got his name out there for other potential HC jobs in the future - including BYU if fans gets their wish to get rid of Kalani Sitake.
FIFY

A majority of BYU fans (at least the ones who post on their board) do not want to have Sitake as their coach.
A good number of them wanted Anae more than Sitake.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

kapakahi wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:08 am https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1219708263815450624
Not surprising. Mark Banker has to lock down a job if he does not get the nod for HC, and he's a great get for Rolo. A big loss to me is Mark Weber since he proved to be special with the OL. Coaches without yelling. I've felt that he is the one position coach whose loss would hurt the most.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Duster wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:59 am
kapakahi wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:08 am https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1219708263815450624
Not surprising. Mark Banker has to lock down a job if he does not get the nod for HC, and he's a great get for Rolo. A big loss to me is Mark Weber since he proved to be special with the OL. Coaches without yelling. I've felt that he is the one position coach whose loss would hurt the most.
Both Weber and Banker connected with their players for the OL and LB positions, respectively.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I'm guessing Anae was angling for a raise and used the Hawaii possibility as leverage. Probably had someone leak to the news that he was looking as well so that the threat would seem serious.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

A new name has appeared. The guy looks good enough to me.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I thought a tie to Hawaii was required for the new coach? I bet this Todd Graham is just a red herring to make the coaching search seem robust and thorough.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

poidog wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:58 pm I thought a tie to Hawaii was required for the new coach? I bet this Todd Graham is just a red herring to make the coaching search seem robust and thorough.
Nah, I doubt they could require a connection to Hawaii. We live in the United States not a third world republic.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

poidog wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:58 pm I thought a tie to Hawaii was required for the new coach? I bet this Todd Graham is just a red herring to make the coaching search seem robust and thorough.
I thought that too but I do like his coaching tree and connections. He won’t have problems finding assistants.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

UnBiasFan wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:14 pm
Nah, I doubt they could require a connection to Hawaii. We live in the United States not a third world republic.
LOL ok.

A connection to Hawaii is required because without that connection it is hard to "want" to overcome the unique challenges that come with coaching here. Dunno if you were a fan back then but when Fred VonAppen was coach, all he would do is whine about things like charter flights and everything we don't have here and there were excuses a plenty when he lost so many games. Even good ol' Norm Chow who is technically from here but hasn't coached college here and was away for decades didn't even move his permanent residence here (I heard he was living in his daugther's garage or something) and commuted back and forth between Los Angeles and was never really "here" and the results showed on the field. In order to be a successful coach at Hawaii, you gotta really LOVE Hawaii more than you love just coaching football and that love has to mean more than the pain caused by the challenges of working here. The tie to Hawaii isn't a requirement because of some sentimental thing - it is necessary because it means that the person taking the job is fully aware of what they are getting into and won't be surprised by the culture shock and how things are done differently here. Every successful coach here had some tie, whether they were a player here or coached here in some capacity. Plus, it was listed as a desired quality in the job posting, was it not?

c'mon, man...

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

RedZone wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:30 pm
I thought that too but I do like his coaching tree and connections. He won’t have problems finding assistants.
I just worry that without that pre-existing emotional tie he won't embrace the culture and the community in enough of a way to win back the fans, and that he will be overcome by the shock of how difficult it is to be successful here. You gotta love Hawaii's warts too if you are going to be great here.

but he did whoop us in the Hawaii Bowl.

shoichikun808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by shoichikun808 »

Nah Matlin said they would just have to understand the culture and be a good fit.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

poidog wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:31 pm
UnBiasFan wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:14 pm
LOL ok.

A connection to Hawaii is required because without that connection it is hard to "want" to overcome the unique challenges that come with coaching here. Dunno if you were a fan back then but when Fred VonAppen was coach, all he would do is whine about things like charter flights and everything we don't have here and there were excuses a plenty when he lost so many games. Even good ol' Norm Chow who is technically from here but hasn't coached college here and was away for decades didn't even move his permanent residence here (I heard he was living in his daugther's garage or something) and commuted back and forth between Los Angeles and was never really "here" and the results showed on the field. In order to be a successful coach at Hawaii, you gotta really LOVE Hawaii more than you love just coaching football and that love has to mean more than the pain caused by the challenges of working here. The tie to Hawaii isn't a requirement because of some sentimental thing - it is necessary because it means that the person taking the job is fully aware of what they are getting into and won't be surprised by the culture shock and how things are done differently here. Every successful coach here had some tie, whether they were a player here or coached here in some capacity. Plus, it was listed as a desired quality in the job posting, was it not?

c'mon, man...
This myth about Hawaii has been promoted forever.

I don’t buy it at all. If we ever were a football town, that is dead.

There are football towns and cities all over the country that are far more dedicated than we are. It is in their blood and it is their religion. Any top level D 1 coach has to be able to move in that particular place and adjust to the culture. Hawaii is full of a bunch of people that think we got some magic formula that has to be understood by having a connection.

That is absolute garbage. We are no better than anywhere else. And when it comes to football culture, we are extremely weak.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

All you have to do is win. Instant connection. As for me all I want is a good football coach. Graham has shown what he can do.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: