Possible next head coaches for UH?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football

Who would you pick for the next Head coach?

Batoon
5%
Stuzman
38%
Brian Smith
3%
June Jones
13%
Timmy Chang
No votes
Another UH assistant that I didn’t mention
10%
Someone else
21%
They should dissolve UH football
10%

Total votes: 39

Diamonded1
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Possible next head coaches for UH?

Post by Diamonded1 »

Totally agree . The new coach has to analyze what players he has on the current roster and get the most of the players that are here . Chow had no pro style players on roster so it was a struggle to run his offensive scheme from the start . Rolo had the opposite so he ran the pistol offense mainly when he got here and got the most of the players that were here . Both past coaches Inherited teams that had losing records . The new coach will inherit a team that went 8-6 and 10-5 . He just need to carry on the winning ways and take the program to the next level .

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:09 pm Is the RNS really a requirement for the next HC? https://twitter.com/DilfersDimes/status/1219034200424079361
I meant could we get an Air Raid minded coach instead of RNS

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

kapakahi wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:14 pm
BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:09 pmIs the RNS really a requirement for the next HC?
Though desirable....probably by the offensive players....doubtful that the RnS is a requirement.....but a pro-style offense with a TE and/or FB/H-back would probably be a no-go since there are no TEs and FBs/H-backs on the current roster.
Someone should of told Chow that........ oh wait I and a bunch of other people did.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

kapakahi wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:36 pm
poidog wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:03 pm stutz is making home visits to WSU recruits and wearing WSU gear. Im guessing he would stay if offered the HC job but has to take the opportunity at WSU until he's actually offered (if at all) otherwise he'd be completely out of a job.
How does a new coach go on an official home visit and represent/promote a program to a potential new recruit (though not the case here since both of these guys have already signed with Wazzu)…..yet not be totally committed to the program (whose gear you are wearing and supposed to be representing - even with matching color shoes)?
What does the coach tell a potential new recruit and his family on the official home visit?
If the coach is not totally committed to represent/promote the program, then why would the coach agree with the Head Coach to go on the official home visit?
I feel the same way, but I think we can't look at it that way. with Rolo leaving, Stutz is technically "out of a job" because there's no guarantee that he will get the HC position or that he will be retained by the next HC. It seems obvious that he has a job opportunity with Rolo at WSU so it is in his own best interests to follow the opportunity until a better opportunity (like the HC job) is in his grasp. as for why Rolo would let him contact recruits? because these are guys he trusts and he can't send anyone else out to do this other than the guys that he trusts and wants to bring along with him.

To sum it up: Stutz is going to end up at UH as HC, or at WSU if not.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

poidog wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:44 pm
poidog wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:03 pm stutz is making home visits to WSU recruits and wearing WSU gear. Im guessing he would stay if offered the HC job but has to take the opportunity at WSU until he's actually offered (if at all) otherwise he'd be completely out of a job.
How does a new coach go on an official home visit and represent/promote a program to a potential new recruit (though not the case here since both of these guys have already signed with Wazzu)…..yet not be totally committed to the program (whose gear you are wearing and supposed to be representing - even with matching color shoes)?
What does the coach tell a potential new recruit and his family on the official home visit?
If the coach is not totally committed to represent/promote the program, then why would the coach agree with the Head Coach to go on the official home visit?
I feel the same way, but I think we can't look at it that way. with Rolo leaving, Stutz is technically "out of a job" because there's no guarantee that he will get the HC position or that he will be retained by the next HC. It seems obvious that he has a job opportunity with Rolo at WSU so it is in his own best interests to follow the opportunity until a better opportunity (like the HC job) is in his grasp. as for why Rolo would let him contact recruits? because these are guys he trusts and he can't send anyone else out to do this other than the guys that he trusts and wants to bring along with him.

If Stutz was really playing both hands at the same time (i.e, repping Wazzu while waiting for the UH HC selection by Matlin), it definitely isn't the best approach for Stutz to have a Wazzu signee post a photo of himself wearing the full-on Wazzu gear on an official home visit.

A better approach for Stutz would be to take a low profile....without posing for any photo wearing Wazzu gear that is intended for posting in a tweet for everyone (including Matlin) to see....thereby implying that he's moved on from UH to Wazzu….in addition to removing all reference as a UH coach on his Twitter account…..which could contribute to dissuading Matlin from selecting him for the UH HC position. Maybe this is the approach that Brian Smith instead is taking.

Bleed_Green
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Bleed_Green »

Who ever the coach will end up being, the only thing I care about is the aggressiveness of recruiting local players and the level of relentlessness when trying to show interest. If the coach is from the mainland, I'd feel comfortable if they have deep connections to the South/South East or California talent pools. I also want him to coach self discipline, on and off the field and personal responsibility. Having a history of winning or is from a highly touted and successful coaching line would make me feel better too.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

kapakahi wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:57 pm
poidog wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:44 pm

If Stutz was really playing both hands at the same time (i.e, repping Wazzu while waiting for the UH HC selection by Matlin), it definitely isn't the best approach for Stutz to have a Wazzu signee post a photo of himself wearing the full-on Wazzu gear on an official home visit.

A better approach for Stutz would be to take a low profile....without posing for any photo wearing Wazzu gear that is intended for posting in a tweet for everyone (including Matlin) to see....thereby implying that he's moved on from UH to Wazzu….in addition to removing all reference as a UH coach on his Twitter account…..which could contribute to dissuading Matlin from selecting him for the UH HC position. Maybe this is the approach that Brian Smith instead is taking.
He might have removed all references to being a UH coach but he hasn't added that he's a WSU coach.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

Bleed_Green wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:15 am Who ever the coach will end up being, the only thing I care about is the aggressiveness of recruiting local players and the level of relentlessness when trying to show interest. If the coach is from the mainland, I'd feel comfortable if they have deep connections to the South/South East or California talent pools. I also want him to coach self discipline, on and off the field and personal responsibility. Having a history of winning or is from a highly touted and successful coaching line would make me feel better too.
One thing that scares me about hiring someone outside the program is that he won't know how dysfunctional the UH admin can be. To a degree, will probably get really frustrated about not getting what he needs on time, if ever. When they come from a higher level school, they're used to getting things that we don't have.
ImageImage

shoichikun808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by shoichikun808 »

New name has appeared as a candidate. No confirmation.
Former Arizona St, Rice, Tulsa and Pitt HC Todd Graham.

He was overall (95-61 record) during his time as HC
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1219622731202756610

Irse

Post by Irse »

shoichikun808 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:00 am New name has appeared as a candidate. No confirmation.
Former Arizona St, Rice, Tulsa and Pitt HC Todd Graham.

He was overall (95-61 record) during his time as HC
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1219622731202756610
Interesting turn of events. Historically, he hasn't stayed at one place for very long. Would he be looking to leave for a better paying job soon. Read where he got a $12 mil buyout from ASU. Is he looking for more money or will the $12 mil from ASU satisfy him and he willing to take lower pay than what he was getting?

So far my list: Stutz>Banker>Smith>Graham (if he truely wants to be here)>anybody else not associated with BYU>BYU guy
ImageImage

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Ricky Logo apparently joining Rolo at Wazzu too.....

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/01/ ... -rolovich/
By Stephen Tsai •
Today •
Updated 12:17 am

The Washington State football team is set to add another member of the Hawaii coaching staff, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser has learned.

Ricky Logo, who coached the Rainbow Warriors’ defensive linemen the past two seasons, is in the process of joining the Cougars.

Logo would be the fifth coach — and seventh staff member — to make the move from Manoa to Pullman, Wash. Last week, Nick Rolovich resigned at UH to become WSU’s head coach.

Rolovich offered positions to five UH coaches — Brian Smith, who was the Warriors’ associate head coach and offensive coordinator the past four seasons; Craig Stutzmann, quarterbacks coach and passing-game coordinator; special teams coordinator Michael Ghobrial; offensive line coach Mark Weber; and now Logo.

Rolovich has filled nine of the 10 coaching positions on his staff.

Jason Cvercko and Dwain Bradshaw also are joining WSU’s support staff. At UH, Cvercko was chief of staff, a position with duties that included coordinating recruiting and setting up logistics for road trips. Bradshaw was the Warriors’ director of football performance. Both are expected to serve similar roles with the Cougars.

Joining the Cougars’ staff does not preclude anyone from being a candidate for the UH head coaching job. Smith and Stutzmann are believed to be in consideration to succeed Rolovich. UH defensive coordinator Corey Batoon and assistant head coach Mark Banker also are believed to be candidates.

UH athletic director David Matlin is expected to make his recommendation this week.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Anae OUT
https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1219691297499422721

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

J-Rod wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:49 am Anae OUT
Hallelujah!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Irse

Post by Irse »

My3Cats wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:01 am
J-Rod wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:49 am Anae OUT
Hallelujah!
At least that's some good news.
ImageImage

uhwarriors