Cole McDonald declares for NFL Draft

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Cole McDonald declares for NFL Draft

Post by cabanalane »

Whatever CMD's shortcomings are, pro teams probably think they can coach it out of him. It's a team game, but when it's all over, the stats do count, like grade point GPA.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Hope that Cole gets drafted and makes a team and gets coached up in the pros. Potential is there at the next level.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

poidog wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:09 pm Good decision for him. He can start working with a good throwing coach and not give the NFL scouts another year to focus on his throwing motion. He has all the physical tools and looks the part. Now is the time! If Josh Allen can make it, so can Cole...
Cole has been working with a California throwing coach for years since high school. It might be hard to believe, but his throwing motion and accuracy has improved a lot since his true FR year. His mechanics were all over the place and he was very inconsistent. Some of us who saw him then questioned whether he could ever be more than a running QB who might occasionally throw to keep the defense guessing.

Most of the improvement since then has been to the top half of the throwing motion and release. It's much tighter than it was and has helped his accuracy. His looping windup has improved some, but it still needs a lot of work. It's kind of like Tebow's windup. June Jones says even though a QB tries to use better mechanics, he'll revert to his old form under pressure. With Cole, at least the top half of motion seems fairly consistent during games. I'm sure they'll try to refine the release to be even tighter and quicker. How much he can tighten up the windup and stay with it during games is the big question.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

uhwarriors wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:18 am
poidog wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:09 pm Good decision for him. He can start working with a good throwing coach and not give the NFL scouts another year to focus on his throwing motion. He has all the physical tools and looks the part. Now is the time! If Josh Allen can make it, so can Cole...
Cole has been working with a California throwing coach for years since high school. It might be hard to believe, but his throwing motion and accuracy has improved a lot since his true FR year. His mechanics were all over the place and he was very inconsistent. Some of us who saw him then questioned whether he could ever be more than a running QB who might occasionally throw to keep the defense guessing.

Most of the improvement since then has been to the top half of the throwing motion and release. It's much tighter than it was and has helped his accuracy. His looping windup has improved some, but it still needs a lot of work. It's kind of like Tebow's windup. June Jones says even though a QB tries to use better mechanics, he'll revert to his old form under pressure. With Cole, at least the top half of motion seems fairly consistent during games. I'm sure they'll try to refine the release to be even tighter and quicker. How much he can tighten up the windup and stay with it during games is the big question.
NFL coaches just cannot help themselves when it comes to measurables and mechanics. Tim Tebow won in the playoffs and still was never taken seriously as an NFL QB because of this throwing motion. I hope Cole gets a better opportunity, especially because running QBs are a hot item now.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

poidog wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:46 am
uhwarriors wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:18 am

NFL coaches just cannot help themselves when it comes to measurables and mechanics. Tim Tebow won in the playoffs and still was never taken seriously as an NFL QB because of this throwing motion. I hope Cole gets a better opportunity, especially because running QBs are a hot item now.
I don't know about his throwing motion. He was never a passer. Never that accurate. No one questioned his size and leadership.There are other QBs in the NFL with strange throwing motions but they are accurate.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

What I've been reading nationally from various articles and Sports tv is that Cole would have benefitted more by playing another year at Hawaii. Any clues as to what might have prompted his decision to turn pro prematurely? I'm thankful that he was with the Hawaii program but just wondering why he decided to forgo his senior year. Injuries? No value in staying?

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:30 am What I've been reading nationally from various articles and Sports tv is that Cole would have benefitted more by playing another year at Hawaii. Any clues as to what might have prompted his decision to turn pro prematurely? I'm thankful that he was with the Hawaii program but just wondering why he decided to forgo his senior year. Injuries? No value in staying?
Multiple reasons. The usual injury risk and what not. I will point out what national sports writers and talking heads don’t see. FYI I can’t speak for him personally, but this the vibe I got. I don’t feel he was embraced by the fans to the extant he embraced Hawaii. You have a very sizeable amount of fans clamoring for Chevan, the local boy, to be the QB of the team. Every time Chevan would come in you would hear noticeable cheering. I remember this past Hawaii Bowl, the offense was struggling to open the second half for only two series, then Chevan comes in and you hear the cheers. I never heard those cheers when Cole came in after Chevan got hurt in the Army game. At least in the area I was sitting I heard groans and such. Why stay for that and probably have another year of musical QBs? You don’t think players take notice. I think they know. Did that ultimately factor into Cole’s decision, I don’t know that for a fact. But if it were me then yes it would amongst other factors.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:56 am
shrek2 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:30 am What I've been reading nationally from various articles and Sports tv is that Cole would have benefitted more by playing another year at Hawaii. Any clues as to what might have prompted his decision to turn pro prematurely? I'm thankful that he was with the Hawaii program but just wondering why he decided to forgo his senior year. Injuries? No value in staying?
Multiple reasons. The usual injury risk and what not. I will point out what national sports writers and talking heads don’t see. FYI I can’t speak for him personally, but this the vibe I got. I don’t feel he was embraced by the fans to the extant he embraced Hawaii. You have a very sizeable amount of fans clamoring for Chevan, the local boy, to be the QB of the team. Every time Chevan would come in you would hear noticeable cheering. I remember this past Hawaii Bowl, the offense was struggling to open the second half for only two series, then Chevan comes in and you hear the cheers. I never heard those cheers when Cole came in after Chevan got hurt in the Army game. At least in the area I was sitting I heard groans and such. Why stay for that and probably have another year of musical QBs? You don’t think players take notice. I think they know. Did that ultimately factor into Cole’s decision, I don’t know that for a fact. But if it were me then yes it would amongst other factors.
Thanks for the feedback. Not being in the stands makes a big difference. You can't see who's on the sidelines or who's got an attitude problem by their body language, etc. That's a real shame because I think that Chevan could only mature another year by having Cole around. I wish only the best for Cole not only in his professional football career but also when his playing days are over, hopefully in Business as he had started out his academics in. Thanks Cole for bringing the excitement to the UH games!

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Anyways what a way to go out. Cole’s last throw as a Warrior is a game winner in the final minutes to beat BYU in a bowl game. Not too many better ways to go out. Mahalo Cole.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

As CM moves forward he gracefully touched all the bases in thanking Hawaii for the opportunity. In his statement he acknowledged and praised everbody that he shared his journey with as a Warrior, student and as young man growing up. His statement was very genuine and warm. From Tsai's article it appears that in preparation for the NFL draft CM has hired the braintrust steering him in the right direction, namely a sports agency he will be training with plus be under their guidance and consultation, and also have a QB coach. He said he's open to an invite to the NFL combine, Senior Bowl and UH's pro day. From what I gather CM's peripheral is getting his next opportunity and chance, so who knows how high the sky is for him, where at the next level he will see taller receivers to throw to, even a TE and pass catching RB's and competing with the best of the best players and coaching. My hunch. I'll say he will have a long and productive NFL career.

vailima
All-conference
All-conference

Post by vailima »

Sad to see him go, but its the right move. Rolo was ruining his career playing qb musical chair and Hawaii commentators and fans weren’t giving him a fair shake. Hope Chevan bulks up or he’s not going to last.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

TheDuke wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:26 am I don't know about his throwing motion. He was never a passer. Never that accurate. No one questioned his size and leadership.There are other QBs in the NFL with strange throwing motions but they are accurate.
It isn't so much about his motion being strange or different. It's that his motion takes longer than they'd prefer because he drops the ball down to his hip at the beginning of his release, like throwing a baseball. The thinking is that NFL defenders will read this and be a split second ahead of his throws. Tebow had a very similar motion... And still completed an 80 yard pass to beat the Steelers in the playoffs.

I'm not saying I agree with the throwing motion being a deal breaker but I know how NFL scouts value such things and are very risk-averse.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

poidog wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:15 am
TheDuke wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:26 am I don't know about his throwing motion. He was never a passer. Never that accurate. No one questioned his size and leadership.There are other QBs in the NFL with strange throwing motions but they are accurate.
It isn't so much about his motion being strange or different. It's that his motion takes longer than they'd prefer because he drops the ball down to his hip at the beginning of his release, like throwing a baseball. The thinking is that NFL defenders will read this and be a split second ahead of his throws. Tebow had a very similar motion... And still completed an 80 yard pass to beat the Steelers in the playoffs.

I'm not saying I agree with the throwing motion being a deal breaker but I know how NFL scouts value such things and are very risk-averse.
The thing with Cole’s throwing motion compared to Tebow is that while they’re similar, Cole’s is a lot quicker. As long as the throwing motion is quick, NFL scouts and coaches won’t mind.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:35 pm As long as the throwing motion is quick, NFL scouts and coaches won’t mind.
I really don't think that's true. NFL scouts rarely deviate from what is commonly-held to be acceptable traits. his throwing motion is enough of a known thing that they brought it up on almost every national cable game UH played in this season. NFL scouts rarely take risks because they want to keep their jobs more than anything else. Hopefully they see Cole as less of a risk and more of an opportunity. I think a year of pro coaching, whether on some team's 54-man roster or on a practice squad will allow him to get so much better. Time for him to move on from the Run & Shoot and on to a pro offense.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

poidog wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:11 am
EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:35 pm As long as the throwing motion is quick, NFL scouts and coaches won’t mind.
I really don't think that's true. NFL scouts rarely deviate from what is commonly-held to be acceptable traits. his throwing motion is enough of a known thing that they brought it up on almost every national cable game UH played in this season. NFL scouts rarely take risks because they want to keep their jobs more than anything else. Hopefully they see Cole as less of a risk and more of an opportunity. I think a year of pro coaching, whether on some team's 54-man roster or on a practice squad will allow him to get so much better. Time for him to move on from the Run & Shoot and on to a pro offense.
Then they’ll hate Chevan Corderio’s throwing motion.