Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Cole McDonald - Cowboys?

Post by cabanalane »

"With the final Dallas Cowboys draft pick in the 2020 NFL Draft..."

https://insidethestar.com/2020-offseaso ... s-cowboys/

With the final Dallas Cowboys draft pick in the 2020 NFL Draft I decided to draft an athletically gifted QB with a big arm to potentially become Dak Prescott’s backup. Cole McDonald reminds me a little bit of Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen because of his athleticism and arm strength, but also a little bit of Philip Rivers due to his unorthodox throwing motion. Regardless though, I think he’s upgrade over Cooper Rush.

Means nothing, it's just a Writer. You don't just pull CMD's name out of a box. Someone is watching, and maybe he has his sources.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Cole McDonald - Cowboys?

Post by TheDuke »

teams are always looking for QBs. And if they can get a steal in the later rounds that is a +. People have taken notice.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

With January 13 the start of UH's next semester it would seem CM has less than week to make a decision (?). Underclassmen declaring for the draft have until the 20th to decide for the NFL draft. Either way CM has a tough decision to make.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

not that difficult. If an NFL team wants to draft him he will go. It doesn't matter what round it is. Musical chairs next year won't help his stock. I do want him to stay. He has shown me that he should be the starter.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I hope he has more discussions with other teams before he makes a decision because I really don't think he's going to last a year at Dallas. If he is a higher projected draft pick such as 3rd rounder then he's desired by other teams so if he doesn't make Dallas, he can go on to Philly or some place else. I think this is some writer's pipe dream to get what he thinks is a more capable QB as backup. Josh Love of SJSU is a senior and Jordan Love of USU has decided to declare early for the NFL draft and that's only in the MWC and Jordan was first team MWC all conference QB. Next year, also, Marcus Mariota will be likely looking for another job as will a lot of other QBs which may include Tom Brady so it's really a tough market this year for QBs in the NFL.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

TheDuke wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:24 am Musical chairs next year won't help his stock. I do want him to stay.
If Rolo continue to split time at the QB position, his stat numbers will drop. CMD still have room to grow, but without the numbers, he would be nothing special.

Get paid while you can. That's the game.

Tua will get paid millions when no one is certain what type of a player he will be. That market may be full of QBs, but it's always better to sell high.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:56 am
TheDuke wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:24 am Musical chairs next year won't help his stock. I do want him to stay.
If Rolo continue to split time at the QB position, his stat numbers will drop. CMD still have room to grow, but without the numbers, he would be nothing special.

Get paid while you can. That's the game.

Tua will get paid millions when no one is certain what type of a player he will be. That market may be full of QBs, but it's always better to sell high.
That's my point. This is a business. Cole's stats are solid in 2019. You can argue the consistency issue as to whether it is Cole's issue or the result of Cole having to throw into 8 deep coverage with receivers who weren't physical enough to beat man coverage and get separation. Smaller receivers are also smaller targets making the windows much smaller. I would submit that Cole has all the measureables and if he had receivers that Tua had at Alabama his stats would be through the roof and their wouldn't be a consistency issue. What has been consistent is our poor game planning and play calling against teams with very good DBs and and 8 deep coverage. Our coaches haven't figured it out and both Chevan and Cole are put in very difficult game situations......having to have to force passes into very difficult coverage.

All it takes is one NFL team to like him. A later round draft is better then no draft in 2020. With musical chairs and a HC that doesn't have complete confidence in you there is only downside going into 2020. The schedule looks more difficult, there is the risk of injury. I do believe our receiver group will be bigger and and therefore better at beating press. What is best for the team is for Cole to stay. That is what I want. If a team wants him what is best for Cole is to go.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

This may be OT but I wonder how far Jalen Hurts actually goes in the NFL. He's not projected as a first round QB but he did take Oklahoma to the final four. He does look like a dual threat QB who's made some decent passes this year. The difference between Jalen and Cole is that Hawaii played a pass first offense or at times a pass only offense.

shoichikun808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Cole McDonald declares for NFL Draft

Post by shoichikun808 »

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Cole McDonald declares for NFL Draft

Post by shrek2 »

Hope for the best for the young man. I hope he graduates and does well in the NFL. Big blow for the UH program. Thank you Cole.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Good luck to him.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Good luck Cole. Hope you have a long career in the NFL.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

best of luck to you cole!

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Now all the ppl clammering for Chevan will have their guy pegged to start. I firmly believe ppl didn't appreciate what MCD was able to accomplish in the last 2 yrs considering he was more of a dual threat QB better known for his legs. He put up serious numbers and won some big games along the way.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Good decision for him. He can start working with a good throwing coach and not give the NFL scouts another year to focus on his throwing motion. He has all the physical tools and looks the part. Now is the time! If Josh Allen can make it, so can Cole...