Post game thoughts vs Boise state!!!

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Post game thoughts vs Boise state!!!

Post by st808 »

boise state pays its head coach $1,100,000.00 base salary, not including bonuses. idaho tax payers subsidize boise state football by $12,000,000.00 each year.

byu, a private school, is estimated to pay its football coach $1,500,000.00 which includes incentive pay.

that is what hawaii's warrior football program really is competing against. if a school is going to pay its football coach millions of dollars, that school is investing in supporting recruiting, training facilities, meals, fitness and soap in the showers. hawaii needs to bump up its recruiting budget if continuing to compete against the boise states and byus is to become a reality.

go warriors. beat byu.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

TheDuke wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:21 am
Neighbor wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:40 pm I dunno why so negative. At least we've gone from getting blown out to Boise, to being back to where it's we could have won but just missed our chances. It sucks they lost, but we had our chances. Just had to execute
Not negative. The difference between us and Boise is coaching and mistakes. The D played well. Statistically not too much difference. More frustration then anything else. You don't drive down to the two , kick a field goal and take the points of the board. Very demoralizing. The affect on a team can be game changing. Momentum shifted. The game could have been 10 to 6 at the half and us taking the 2bd half kickoff. Coaches haven't figured out how to beat teams with better athletes. Switching QBs wouldn't have made a difference. Simple Boise game plan. Man coverage on receivers we are faster and stronger. Spy the QB. If he runs hit him hard. Take him out if you can. If Furuta is in pass. (shovel to Furuta is not going to beat Boise).He is too slow to beat us. Don't worry about passes to the RBs. Keep passing windows small, no separation. Too much pressure on Cole to make something happen by throwing into tight coverage. When they make a catch no YAC hit them hard. We are bigger. They will hear foot steps. There will be drops.

Hawaii will press. The coaches will press. HC has a gunslinger attitude and that doesn't work when you play very good teams. They will make mistakes. That's their MO. We made mistakes and we lost to a more athletic team with better coaching. That's been the case all season.

I hope coaches learn and move on. The next step is for coaches to get more creative with schemes. Take the pressure off of our QB when receivers can't get separation. Our receivers are good but not good enough. We need quick receivers. Slots at 5-10 to 6 (ala Salas) 185 -200 lbs. Wide outs at 6 to 6'5 200 - 220 lbs. We need a passing game to the RBs. If their are no one to block (3 man rush) release into the flat force a DE or LB to cover you.

Not negative. This team has exceeded my expectations for 2019.

C'mon Rolo let's beat BYU.
That's the one thing I think Rolo is missing and that is the concept of momentum. It inspired the offense for Boise to have the defense have that stop on fourth down. I think Boise had three stops in the red zone in the game. Yet another four down series wasted within the 5 yard line. It's frustrating to the armchair coaches that we are, to see this happening. We are only seeing what the coaches in the booth are seeing. Keep the game close so that you can win in the fourth quarter. Having an onside kick against Cal on the first play of the game may have been the momentum changer in the lopsided loss against Cal. Playing a bad fourth quarter against New Mexico gave Hawaii no momentum in starting against Fresno State. Young men don't shake things off that easily. They tense up instead of playing loose.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

The momentum did not change after Rolo took the 3 points off the board. They forced a punt on the ensuing possession after only giving up 20 yards. I agree with the sentiment but the facts don't back it up. The momentum changed after the interception.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

And I still think if Cole lowers his shoulder and picks up the first down rather than sliding 1 yard short that the entire game plays out differently. Don't slide 1 yard short in the championship game. Winners dont do things like that.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

poidog wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:03 am And I still think if Cole lowers his shoulder and picks up the first down rather than sliding 1 yard short that the entire game plays out differently. Don't slide 1 yard short in the championship game. Winners dont do things like that.
Let it go dude. Go eat some poi.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:43 am
poidog wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:03 am And I still think if Cole lowers his shoulder and picks up the first down rather than sliding 1 yard short that the entire game plays out differently. Don't slide 1 yard short in the championship game. Winners dont do things like that.
Agree with Poidog. We were playing for the MW conference championship, go for the first down then slide.

I also thought the refs were paid off to call the game in favor of Boise. It was obvious on the offsides on their DE that was not called. We were playing against the Refs too, again.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

i'm not going to let it go - this is a post-game thoughts thread and I feel that my thought is very valid. this lack of awareness in critical situations is the reason why he was pulled late in the game against Arizona and SDSU. The guy has professional aspirations - he's gotta be better in these moments.

oldhawaiiguy
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by oldhawaiiguy »

Not able to play well on the road against good teams with superior talent. It shows up every time.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

In the third quarter, Hawaii goes four and out at the 5 yard line of Boise. Four incomplete pass plays. Can't score, can't win. Coaches or players???

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Oh well. Bucked by Foise . . . again.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:12 am In the third quarter, Hawaii goes four and out at the 5 yard line of Boise. Four incomplete pass plays. Can't score, can't win. Coaches or players???
2nd down - Byrd was wide open and it was one of their "bread & butter" redzone plays and the ball was poorly underthrown.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

poidog wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:01 am The momentum did not change after Rolo took the 3 points off the board. They forced a punt on the ensuing possession after only giving up 20 yards. I agree with the sentiment but the facts don't back it up. The momentum changed after the interception.
You are talking about one drive. Taking the points off the board caused a game momentum shift. The statement made was that you cannot score on us. Momentum did shift, UH lost confidence and Boise gained confidence. That is a major momentum shift that affected UH the entire game.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

poidog wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:47 am
i'm not going to let it go - this is a post-game thoughts thread and I feel that my thought is very valid. this lack of awareness in critical situations is the reason why he was pulled late in the game against Arizona and SDSU. The guy has professional aspirations - he's gotta be better in these moments.
Game was not won or lost on one slide.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:01 am
Agree with Poidog. We were playing for the MW conference championship, go for the first down then slide.

I also thought the refs were paid off to call the game in favor of Boise. It was obvious on the offsides on their DE that was not called. We were playing against the Refs too, again.
Yeah go for first down and get blasted like Colt was against Fresno. Then we’d be SOL.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

TheDuke wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:41 pm
poidog wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:01 am The momentum did not change after Rolo took the 3 points off the board. They forced a punt on the ensuing possession after only giving up 20 yards. I agree with the sentiment but the facts don't back it up. The momentum changed after the interception.
You are talking about one drive. Taking the points off the board caused a game momentum shift. The statement made was that you cannot score on us. Momentum did shift, UH lost confidence and Boise gained confidence. That is a major momentum shift that affected UH the entire game.
Agree. Players play tense and they start to lose confidence when momentum is lost. They were already behind the 8 ball when they went to Boise. Add to that bad call, lack of plays, they start to go through the motions rather than playing with some emotion like they're still in it. The QB for Boise had problems with third downs and all of a sudden he's playing like Drew Brees. The last drive of the first half was evidence of that.