Post game thoughts vs Boise state!!!

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Post game thoughts vs Boise state!!!

Post by poidog »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:15 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:52 pm
wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:01 am
Agree with Poidog. We were playing for the MW conference championship, go for the first down then slide.

I also thought the refs were paid off to call the game in favor of Boise. It was obvious on the offsides on their DE that was not called. We were playing against the Refs too, again.
Yeah go for first down and get blasted like Colt was against Fresno. Then we’d be SOL.
Yup, 9 yards instead of 10 is not a big deal on first down. It's getting that TD that seems to be a problem. No real plan to score against BYU in the red zone either. For that matter, they don't have an answer to their big LBs in our passing game.
9 yards instead of 10 yards is a big deal because it makes your boneheaded OC think he can "trick Boise" by calling a forced long pass play on 2nd and 1.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:08 pm
TheDuke wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:41 pm
poidog wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:01 am The momentum did not change after Rolo took the 3 points off the board. They forced a punt on the ensuing possession after only giving up 20 yards. I agree with the sentiment but the facts don't back it up. The momentum changed after the interception.
You are talking about one drive. Taking the points off the board caused a game momentum shift. The statement made was that you cannot score on us. Momentum did shift, UH lost confidence and Boise gained confidence. That is a major momentum shift that affected UH the entire game.
Agree. Players play tense and they start to lose confidence when momentum is lost. They were already behind the 8 ball when they went to Boise. Add to that bad call, lack of plays, they start to go through the motions rather than playing with some emotion like they're still in it. The QB for Boise had problems with third downs and all of a sudden he's playing like Drew Brees. The last drive of the first half was evidence of that.
I agree with you guys on momentum, but I disagree with you guys on when the momentum shifted. We went for it and failed, and then only allowed 30 yards before forcing a punt. We got the ball back and were moving the ball until the INT was thrown. I think that forcing a punt swung the momentum back in our favor because it showed incredible trust in our defense and that trust was rewarded. The feeling after that defensive stand was "We can stop Boise". That feeling went away with the INT as Boise went into 2-minute mode and their 2-minute offense was better than our 2-minute defense. If we just sit on the ball, that never happens. THAT is how you control momentum as a coaching staff.

Momentum did not cause the INT - unwise decisions caused the INT. Unwise in that the game situation called for eating up the clock and attempting to score with as little time left on the clock before halftime. that was the ideal strategy being that it was 1) a low scoring game and 2) that UH gets the ball to start the 2nd qtr. If they had done the smart thing and just took the 5 yards per play that Boise was allowing between the 20's and kick the FG to end the half, the momentum would have been firmly on UH's side.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

poidog wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:12 am
shrek2 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:08 pm
TheDuke wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:41 pm

You are talking about one drive. Taking the points off the board caused a game momentum shift. The statement made was that you cannot score on us. Momentum did shift, UH lost confidence and Boise gained confidence. That is a major momentum shift that affected UH the entire game.
Agree. Players play tense and they start to lose confidence when momentum is lost. They were already behind the 8 ball when they went to Boise. Add to that bad call, lack of plays, they start to go through the motions rather than playing with some emotion like they're still in it. The QB for Boise had problems with third downs and all of a sudden he's playing like Drew Brees. The last drive of the first half was evidence of that.
I agree with you guys on momentum, but I disagree with you guys on when the momentum shifted. We went for it and failed, and then only allowed 30 yards before forcing a punt. We got the ball back and were moving the ball until the INT was thrown. I think that forcing a punt swung the momentum back in our favor because it showed incredible trust in our defense and that trust was rewarded. The feeling after that defensive stand was "We can stop Boise". That feeling went away with the INT as Boise went into 2-minute mode and their 2-minute offense was better than our 2-minute defense. If we just sit on the ball, that never happens. THAT is how you control momentum as a coaching staff.

Momentum did not cause the INT - unwise decisions caused the INT. Unwise in that the game situation called for eating up the clock and attempting to score with as little time left on the clock before halftime. that was the ideal strategy being that it was 1) a low scoring game and 2) that UH gets the ball to start the 2nd qtr. If they had done the smart thing and just took the 5 yards per play that Boise was allowing between the 20's and kick the FG to end the half, the momentum would have been firmly on UH's side.
Same argument, different page. SSDD. Lucky we're not head coaches and our jobs are not in jeopardy if we make the wrong decision. We're all just couch coaches with a different take on why we lost. Heaven forbid that we are unpaid amateur athletes that get criticized for our mistakes by fans or press as opposed to the coaches.
BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:59 am
Irse wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:44 am
BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:14 am When you can only muster 14 offensive points against both UNLV and San Diego St, you take what ever points you can get. Our offensive play calling in recent years struggles in the red zone, going for it on 4th and goal and coming up empty is becoming a common thing. It demoralized your team and swings momentum to the other team.
Kicking a FG from the opponents 1 also demoralizes a team and gives the opponents momentum. FGs were not going to win the game. Might as well go for it all. We had nothing to lose. If we make the FG, we were going to lose anyways. It's not the FG's would have been a game changer where Boise would have gotten scared and changed their game plan. I'm glad they went for it.
We wouldn't be kicking from the 1, the FG was already made and it was 6-3.

At that point in the game how does anyone know you were going to lose anyway?

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:59 am
Irse wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:44 am
BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:14 am When you can only muster 14 offensive points against both UNLV and San Diego St, you take what ever points you can get. Our offensive play calling in recent years struggles in the red zone, going for it on 4th and goal and coming up empty is becoming a common thing. It demoralized your team and swings momentum to the other team.
Kicking a FG from the opponents 1 also demoralizes a team and gives the opponents momentum. FGs were not going to win the game. Might as well go for it all. We had nothing to lose. If we make the FG, we were going to lose anyways. It's not the FG's would have been a game changer where Boise would have gotten scared and changed their game plan. I'm glad they went for it.
We wouldn't be kicking from the 1, the FG was already made and it was 6-3.

At that point in the game how does anyone know you were going to lose anyway?
Nobody knows that we were going to lose but if you can only muster FGs against Boise when you're basically at their goal line, you will lose. The lst 3 games before us, they put up 42, 56, 31 points. That's a hell of lot of FGs to kick.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

- If we kept the FG it's 6-3
- We held them their next possession
- On our next possesion, we drive but on 2nd-1 instead of going for the 1st down, Cole throws a bad pass that's intercepted in the endzone. If we got the 1st down, we possibly could have gotten another FG to go up 9-3.
- At the least we could have gone into halftime down 10-6 or 10-9. Still manageable and not in panic mode.

That TD Boise scored before the half was due to bad clock management.

Yes the 2nd half would different if down 10-6 or 10-9 instead of 17-3.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:11 pm - If we kept the FG it's 6-3
- On our next possesion, we drive but on 2nd-1 instead of going for the 1st down, Cole throws a bad pass that's intercepted in the endzone. If we got the 1st down, we possibly could have gotten another FG to go up 9-3.
- At the least we could have gone into halftime down 10-6 or 10-9. Still manageable and not in panic mode.

I agree. Good teams keep the game close, minimize mistakes and win in the 4Q. There is no reason to panic. Be patient, take what the D gives you. We let the game get away from us by taking points of the board. We had one breakdown in coverage and a bad decision to not make the sure tackle at the end of the half. We made the mistakes and let the game get away from us.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

TheDuke wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:57 pm

I agree. Good teams keep the game close, minimize mistakes and win in the 4Q. There is no reason to panic. Be patient, take what the D gives you. We let the game get away from us by taking points of the board. We had one breakdown in coverage and a bad decision to not make the sure tackle at the end of the half. We made the mistakes and let the game get away from us.
+2 I gotta feel like the offensive line lost its edge in its protection and the Boise defense were jacked after the stop. Henderson also played calm and loose to score the 1 minute touchdown to end the second half. While Cole played tight and missed his receivers on several occasions after the 4th down stop. Cole has played some of his best games when he played loose.

Irse

Post by Irse »

I guess we watch the same game but see things differently. I wasn't confident with the D and thought we needed to score a bunch of points to win.
ImageImage

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:50 am
EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:52 pm
Yeah go for first down and get blasted like Colt was against Fresno. Then we’d be SOL.
Isn't this Warrior football? Playing for the Mountain West Conference Championship title?

Oh, yah, that's right, our 6'-4", 220 lb QB might have gotten hurt going for a first down.
He could have. You don’t that he wouldn’t have. That’s how he got hurt last year.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

poidog wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:59 am
EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:52 pm Yeah go for first down and get blasted like Colt was against Fresno. Then we’d be SOL.
oh you mean we would have lost the game by like 3 touchdowns or something?

Cole McDonald is a 6'4" physical specimen. 2007 Colt Brennan was not even 2006 Colt Brennan, physically.
Bruh you’re the same guy that said we should be playing safe. But you mad that Cole slid down on first down to play it safe and not get potentially hurt like he did last year. Make up your mind.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:13 pm

+2 I gotta feel like the offensive line lost its edge in its protection and the Boise defense were jacked after the stop. Henderson also played calm and loose to score the 1 minute touchdown to end the second half. While Cole played tight and missed his receivers on several occasions after the 4th down stop. Cole has played some of his best games when he played loose.
I agree. Kinda hard for Cole or the offense as a whole to play loose when coach could pull you at anytime for one little mistake.

Irse

Post by Irse »

EITSwarrior wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:25 am

I agree. Kinda hard for Cole or the offense as a whole to play loose when coach could pull you at anytime for one little mistake.
They knew Chevan wasn't going to play in this game. Rolo stated that in his TV show.
ImageImage

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

A post game poem I wrote at Ka Leo. My way of inciting the team, readers and students. For the last four games I added a cheer, a rallying cry, in the comment section of the student paper, hoping that it lights the path the Warriors are on.

It was too good to be true
To twinkle the stars and blue
Though for a moment on cue
Scoring the first cup of brew
The team was stirred to breakthrough
The crowd in me looking askew
Can this be the day to outdo
Then like a nightmare, winds blew
In favor of the champs, boo
Heart's in me broken to spew
Inside I mocked the miscue
At the coach, the lost guru
Nothing was working, adieu
Farewell, team, you did accrue
But not enough to fall through

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Irse wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:40 am
They knew Chevan wasn't going to play in this game. Rolo stated that in his TV show.
I wasn’t just talking about this game.

Irse

Post by Irse »

EITSwarrior wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:33 am
Irse wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:40 am

I wasn’t just talking about this game.
I agree with you. It's hard to play while looking over shoulder to see if your replacement is coming in. I hope they pick one starter and stick with him.
ImageImage