Post game thoughts vs Boise state!!!

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Post game thoughts vs Boise state!!!

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:10 am
EITSwarrior wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:33 am
Irse wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:40 am

They knew Chevan wasn't going to play in this game. Rolo stated that in his TV show.
I wasn’t just talking about this game.
I agree with you. It's hard to play while looking over shoulder to see if your replacement is coming in. I hope they pick one starter and stick with him.
I think you guys may be missing something and that is Cole's relationship to UH. One of my MBA professors said that a relationship is a commitment to the other's well being. In this case, Cole realizes that he has to win for Hawaii regardless of being subbed out. He is pressing to score to win the game, not because he is afraid of being replace in this or that game. UH does well, then so does he. He tenses up due to the circumstances because UH is not in it not because he is going to be replaced by Uahinui.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:03 pm
Irse wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:10 am
EITSwarrior wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:33 am

I wasn’t just talking about this game.
I agree with you. It's hard to play while looking over shoulder to see if your replacement is coming in. I hope they pick one starter and stick with him.
I think you guys may be missing something and that is Cole's relationship to UH. One of my MBA professors said that a relationship is a commitment to the other's well being. In this case, Cole realizes that he has to win for Hawaii regardless of being subbed out. He is pressing to score to win the game, not because he is afraid of being replace in this or that game. UH does well, then so does he. He tenses up due to the circumstances because UH is not in it not because he is going to be replaced by Uahinui.
No I didn’t miss that at all. That’s already a given no matter what.

stranger_808
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by stranger_808 »

Next year, we have many returnees.
No mattah how critical, I support our Warrior players.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Irse wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:09 pm
BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:11 pm - If we kept the FG it's 6-3
- We held them their next possession
- On our next possesion, we drive but on 2nd-1 instead of going for the 1st down, Cole throws a bad pass that's intercepted in the endzone. If we got the 1st down, we possibly could have gotten another FG to go up 9-3.
- At the least we could have gone into halftime down 10-6 or 10-9. Still manageable and not in panic mode.

That TD Boise scored before the half was due to bad clock management.

Yes the 2nd half would different if down 10-6 or 10-9 instead of 17-3.
I guess we watch the same game but see things differently. I wasn't confident with the D and thought we needed to score a bunch of points to win.
I could see if Boise marched down the field and easily scored. But since they forced them to punt on their 1st Possession and held them for a FG on their 2nd possession I would have given my defense credit and kicked the FG. Then in fact they forced them to punt on their 3rd possession, so I would have settled for another FG if needed. Going up 9-3 would get the defense thinking positive that they can hold the Broncos and force Boise to change their game plan. Now Cole is playing loose and that's when he's at his best. Once Cole is playing behind 2 TDs, he's a different guy. That's when you bring in Chevan

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Irse wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:13 am
BigWave96744 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:48 pm After taking 3 points off the scoreboard, it all went down hill. 3 trips to the redzone, 3 points. Winnable game oh well hope the heck they don't go to the Las Vegas Bowl. Who the heck cares about cheering for BYU or UCF
I'm glad they went for the TDs. We needed TDs, not FGs. Unfortunate that they did not convert but it wasn't going to be a FG kicking cntest.
You should be happy. You got what you wanted a game not decided by field goals. Instead we got beaten badly.

Most big games are decided by a field goal. Made and missed field goals decided if we went or missed bowl games and a winning season.

Here are the games we won by three points or less:
2019 Oregon State, Fresno State, San Jose State, San Diego State, if we had lost all four no bowl game
2018 San Jose State in OT, San Diego State in OT, if we had lost both no bowl game
2017 we only won three games, beat Massachusetts by three
2016 Fresno State, if we had lost no bowl game

Taking the points off the board, especially on the road was a bad move.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:50 am
EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:52 pm
Yeah go for first down and get blasted like Colt was against Fresno. Then we’d be SOL.
Isn't this Warrior football? Playing for the Mountain West Conference Championship title?

Oh, yah, that's right, our 6'-4", 220 lb QB might have gotten hurt going for a first down.
And what if he did get hurt. Cordeiro got hurt. Alexander got hurt. Moniz got hurt.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

TheDuke wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:54 pm
Yeah go for first down and get blasted like Colt was against Fresno. Then we’d be SOL.
Isn't this Warrior football? Playing for the Mountain West Conference Championship title?

Oh, yah, that's right, our 6'-4", 220 lb QB might have gotten hurt going for a first down.
And what if he did get hurt. Cordeiro got hurt. Alexander got hurt. Moniz got hurt.
All some fans see is just cannon fodder out there. They don’t see that the players are human beings just like us.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

TheDuke wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:50 pm
Irse wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:13 am
BigWave96744 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:48 pm After taking 3 points off the scoreboard, it all went down hill. 3 trips to the redzone, 3 points. Winnable game oh well hope the heck they don't go to the Las Vegas Bowl. Who the heck cares about cheering for BYU or UCF
I'm glad they went for the TDs. We needed TDs, not FGs. Unfortunate that they did not convert but it wasn't going to be a FG kicking cntest.
You should be happy. You got what you wanted a game not decided by field goals. Instead we got beaten badly.

Most big games are decided by a field goal. Made and missed field goals decided if we went or missed bowl games and a winning season.

Here are the games we won by three points or less:
2019 Oregon State, Fresno State, San Jose State, San Diego State, if we had lost all four no bowl game
2018 San Jose State in OT, San Diego State in OT, if we had lost both no bowl game
2017 we only won three games, beat Massachusetts by three
2016 Fresno State, if we had lost no bowl game

Taking the points off the board, especially on the road was a bad move.
Where in my post did I mention that I wanted a game decided by TDs? I stated that TDs are what I thought were needed according to past history. Yes you mentioned the close games. Funny that Boise State was not involved in any of them.
Here's how many Boise scored in our last three games against them since they were our opponents, not any of the other teams you mentioned.
2019 Boise 59
2016 Boise 52
2015 Boise 55 (that one was under Chow)

So at what point did any of those game come down to a FG kicking contest?
My assessment of needing TDs was according to our success in the past against them.
ImageImage

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:22 pm
BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:11 pm - If we kept the FG it's 6-3
- We held them their next possession
- On our next possesion, we drive but on 2nd-1 instead of going for the 1st down, Cole throws a bad pass that's intercepted in the endzone. If we got the 1st down, we possibly could have gotten another FG to go up 9-3.
- At the least we could have gone into halftime down 10-6 or 10-9. Still manageable and not in panic mode.

That TD Boise scored before the half was due to bad clock management.

Yes the 2nd half would different if down 10-6 or 10-9 instead of 17-3.
I guess we watch the same game but see things differently. I wasn't confident with the D and thought we needed to score a bunch of points to win.
I could see if Boise marched down the field and easily scored. But since they forced them to punt on their 1st Possession and held them for a FG on their 2nd possession I would have given my defense credit and kicked the FG. Then in fact they forced them to punt on their 3rd possession, so I would have settled for another FG if needed. Going up 9-3 would get the defense thinking positive that they can hold the Broncos and force Boise to change their game plan. Now Cole is playing loose and that's when he's at his best. Once Cole is playing behind 2 TDs, he's a different guy. That's when you bring in Chevan
I guess people here can't accept the fact that others may have a different opinion on things.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:42 am
BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:22 pm
I guess people here can't accept the fact that others may have a different opinion on things.
Civil argument is healthy especially when it comes to sports. It still means we have a passion. Nobody's really right. We've all got our takes on what coulda, shoulda, wish woulda happened. If only Hawaii won... :(

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

If you don't want to risk getting hurt playing QB in D1 college football, you shouldn't really be playing football. Pursue a scholarship in tennis or golf instead.
Last edited by wailukuwarriorfan on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

EITSwarrior wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:48 pm

All some fans see is just cannon fodder out there. They don’t see that the players are human beings just like us.
Now you are just getting silly.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: If you don't want to risk getting hurt playing QB in D1 college football, you shouldn't really be playing football. Pursue a scholarship in tennis or golf instead.
:D
On a similar note, if you are chasing the dream of being a D1 QB with hopes of the NFL, you better not be worried about #2 taking your place if you start messing up. The theory of pick one QB and stick with him no matter what is insane. Wasn't that something many complained about Norm Chow. Heck if Nick Saban coached like that, Jalen Hurst would still be at Bama and Tua would be a Junior reserve

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:40 am

If you don't want to risk getting hurt playing QB in D1 college football, you shouldn't really be playing football. Pursue a scholarship in tennis or golf instead.
Bro don’t criticize someone for protecting himself when same dude got seriously hurt last year running though defenders cause he wants to win for your sorry okole.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:41 am
EITSwarrior wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:48 pm

Now you are just getting silly.
You’re the same dude who Ewaliko to play QB. That’s silly.