what's the game plan to beat army?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

what's the game plan to beat army?

Post by TheDuke »

So how do we beat them?

Obviously it's stop the run. Take care of the ball. Minimize penalties.

Army wins when they can run the ball, control the clock and get take aways.

I would stack the box with run stoppers. 3 down linemen, two edge guys with some speed to contain and take away the QB option. Force the QB inside. 3 LBs with one behind the NT. The NT needs to keep linemen off the LBs. Man coverage on the receivers ( they don't pass much and completion rate is under 50%. Two safties in the box protecting the edge sweeps and supporting the run D. One safety in the middle supporting the dive and long pass.

We cannot turn the ball over.

We should be able to run the ball if Army plays 8 deep. We should see press-man coverage on Ward and Byrd with bigger DBs (CB 6', 205 and a S either 6' 190 or 5'11 200). I don't know what kind of speed they have. They do not fair well against passing teams. Two safties deep to protect against the long ball. They will try to keep the passes under the coverage and try to force a turnover. Our QB will need to be patient and take what they give us.

This could be another low scoring game in the 20s.

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: what's the game plan to beat army?

Post by couz808 »

What people don't realize is that Air Force and Army are better at the passing game as well. They will kill us with the play action. We need our dbs to step it up becuz most times they will be on an island. We need to outscore Army and hopefully get a few stops on defense.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

couz808 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:30 pm What people don't realize is that Air Force and Army are better at the passing game as well. They will kill us with the play action. We need our dbs to step it up becuz most times they will be on an island. We need to outscore Army and hopefully get a few stops on defense.
Agree that the CBs will have to have a good game. The front 9 will have to have a better game.

Check the Army stats on passing.
- Less then 50% completion. Air Force 54%
- 10 TDs to 6 INTs. Air Force 15 TDs 5 INTs
- 83 yards per game. Air Force 130 yards per game.
- 4.6 passes per game. Half as much as Air Force.
- 12% of their passes are intercepted. Air Force 4.7%.

Not as accurate or effective as Air Force.

I'd play to stuff the run and force them to pass as much as I could.

Raudi
Starter
Starter

Post by Raudi »

score more points