Post game thoughts vs San Diego State!!!

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Post game thoughts vs San Diego State!!!

Post by Irse »

SundayJam wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:20 pm Okay...there's gotta be one fly in the ointment. How about...we were out-coached and got lucky? This is Hawaii football in 2011...except we get the win this time.
How were we outcoached?
ImageImage

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Grinch wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:53 pm Regarding calling time out right before SDSU field goal attempt - here’s a suggestion for next time: Rolo tell ref BEFORE hand “No matter what I, or the players say or do, DO NOT call time out. Then right before the kick, Rolo and some players yell and signal for a time out ... to hopefully make kicker think one will be called 😂.”

Regarding Warrior offense, I hope Jojo and Byrd have monster games against Boise ... to supplement Smart, Sharsh and run game.
Don't think that can be done. I don't like the TO right before the kick. It gives the K a practice kick. I would rather the TO be done earlier.
ImageImage

Markazulu
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Markazulu »

Irse wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:32 am
ulua wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:03 pm On Fan Phones Gary Dickman said that Furuta was suited up on the sidelines.
This could be a good sign we will see him play again.
According to the participation list, it states that Furuta played. I didn't watch the whole replay so I don't know in what capacity. I also don't know how accurate that list is because it states that Francisco did not play but I saw him coming off the field on a special teams play.
According to miano and kekaula during the game they said furuta was on special teams.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Still don't like the two QB situation. Yes, a W is a W, so lets get that out of the way.

McDonald went cold. And was 3 and out. Then you knew he was gone for the game. Again, right call by Rolo to bring in CC.

So I "disagree" with the PC way of saying Cole McDonald "played well." He was started to mess up, before he was pulled. So it was not like Rolo planned to split time, as he said.

If Cole did not mess up, we would never see CC.

UH has the luxury of two great QBs. If Rolo really want to balance time, he would switch them between plays, rather than replace one or the other when they screw up.

I don;t know if this "pressure" is good or bad. One screw up, you are gone. 3-0 or interception and you are gone.

Timmy Chang threw how many interceptions, and was still The Man, without question or doubt. In sports, there is the 4th Quarter comeback. That's one thing the UH QBs will not experience.

There won't be the narrative of "We struggle for three quarters, and won the game with two touchdowns in the last 5 minutes." It would be more like "I messed up, got intercepted, and out the rest of the game." I don't think this teaches the players to fight back and grind. If you mess up, then try again next week, maybe.

daddy
Starter
Starter
MLB: Kansas City Royals
NFL: Chiefs and any team w/CB

Post by daddy »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:24 am Still don't like the two QB situation. Yes, a W is a W, so lets get that out of the way.

McDonald went cold. And was 3 and out. Then you knew he was gone for the game. Again, right call by Rolo to bring in CC.

So I "disagree" with the PC way of saying Cole McDonald "played well." He was started to mess up, before he was pulled. So it was not like Rolo planned to split time, as he said.

If Cole did not mess up, we would never see CC.

UH has the luxury of two great QBs. If Rolo really want to balance time, he would switch them between plays, rather than replace one or the other when they screw up.

I don;t know if this "pressure" is good or bad. One screw up, you are gone. 3-0 or interception and you are gone.

Timmy Chang threw how many interceptions, and was still The Man, without question or doubt. In sports, there is the 4th Quarter comeback. That's one thing the UH QBs will not experience.

There won't be the narrative of "We struggle for three quarters, and won the game with two touchdowns in the last 5 minutes." It would be more like "I messed up, got intercepted, and out the rest of the game." I don't think this teaches the players to fight back and grind. If you mess up, then try again next week, maybe.

Honestly, if either one of them were “great”, the other wouldn’t play. UH has two good QB’s who excel at different things. I agree with your overall premise, which is that they should be interchanged as part of a game plan vs an immediate punishment for a mistake.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

ulua wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:03 pm On Fan Phones Gary Dickman said that Furuta was suited up on the sidelines.
According to the participation list, it states that Furuta played. I didn't watch the whole replay so I don't know in what capacity. I also don't know how accurate that list is because it states that Francisco did not play but I saw him coming off the field on a special teams play.
I did not see but they said he contributed on special teams.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

shoichikun808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by shoichikun808 »

RedZone wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:14 pm
I did not see but they said he contributed on special teams.
Furuta was on the field and played as an up man on a kick return.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Irse wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:33 am
SundayJam wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:20 pm Okay...there's gotta be one fly in the ointment. How about...we were out-coached and got lucky? This is Hawaii football in 2011...except we get the win this time.
How were we outcoached?
They (San Diego) were in the driver seat for the win. They scored the two point conversion and were within an easy field goal for the win. Kicker missed...twice. We also changed quarterbacks...again. Things are way better than they were when Chow was in control but this is still a work in progress. Still, I am hopeful.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

SundayJam wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:58 am
How were we outcoached?
They (San Diego) were in the driver seat for the win. They scored the two point conversion and were within an easy field goal for the win. Kicker missed...twice. We also changed quarterbacks...again. Things are way better than they were when Chow was in control but this is still a work in progress. Still, I am hopeful.
Better that we be "hopeful" rather than "hopeless". Rolo gives us hope. His predecessor nearly sank the ship.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

SundayJam wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:58 am
How were we outcoached?
I think you are just being contrarian here...

-When you keep a team that wants to run to under 100 yards rushing, you weren't outcoached.
-When you hold a team to 11 points, you weren't outcoached.
-When you change QB because you want the better scrambler in who throws safer throws to protect a lead, you weren't outcoached.
-A 48-yard FG from the left hash with a left-footed kicker is not an "easy field goal"
-A FG would have sent the game to OT, and not a win.
-Down 3 with less than 2 minutes left and 1 timeout left is not "in the driver seat".
-UH had two near-INTs that would have sealed the game. I would say they were more unlucky than lucky.
-This is the 4th home game this season where the defense was called on to make a stop on either the last drive or 2nd to last drive to seal a win and they did it all 4 times.

When two evenly-matched teams play a highly-competitive game for the division title that comes down to the last drive and the home team wins by 3, that's as evenly played of a game as you can get, and evenly coached as well. Both coaches set out to do what they wanted and to stop the other from doing what they wanted to do. If you look at the stats, the time of possession and most importantly, the score, the UH coaches won the head-to-head. And c'mon, that run play on 3rd and 10 from the 11 for the TD was a great play call!

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

during this past weekend's Nick Rolovich Show, Rolo was going over film from the 2nd half scoring drive and he made it a point to emphasize the ball placement they teach for throws over the middle and how the QBs are instructed to aim below the chin so that if it is a drop that the ball falls down and is not tipped up in the air and that that's how Chevan threw the ball. That, right there, is why he is going to get to play in the 2nd half of close games. He's safer on the throws that move the chains.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

The MWC officials keep calling penalties for non-existent penalties. Eletise got called for holding when the defender slipped in front of him. JR earlier in the year got called when he pushed a defender over one of his own fallen defenders. The worse is probably the no contact pass interference by Trayvon Henderson when he made a beautiful play knocking the ball away from the receiver. The MWC officials needs to look at jerseys being pulled after the defender has passed the offensive linemen of hands of the OL on the outside of their shoulders of the defense. The officials can really change the outcome of the game.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

poidog wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:48 am

I think you are just being contrarian here...

-When you keep a team that wants to run to under 100 yards rushing, you weren't outcoached.
-When you hold a team to 11 points, you weren't outcoached.
-When you change QB because you want the better scrambler in who throws safer throws to protect a lead, you weren't outcoached.
-A 48-yard FG from the left hash with a left-footed kicker is not an "easy field goal"
-A FG would have sent the game to OT, and not a win.
-Down 3 with less than 2 minutes left and 1 timeout left is not "in the driver seat".
-UH had two near-INTs that would have sealed the game. I would say they were more unlucky than lucky.
-This is the 4th home game this season where the defense was called on to make a stop on either the last drive or 2nd to last drive to seal a win and they did it all 4 times.

When two evenly-matched teams play a highly-competitive game for the division title that comes down to the last drive and the home team wins by 3, that's as evenly played of a game as you can get, and evenly coached as well. Both coaches set out to do what they wanted and to stop the other from doing what they wanted to do. If you look at the stats, the time of possession and most importantly, the score, the UH coaches won the head-to-head. And c'mon, that run play on 3rd and 10 from the 11 for the TD was a great play call!
Spot on, Poidog.

Hawaii fans need to also acknowledge the Coaching staff and players when they perform well. Good job, Coaches. Great job, players! Congratulations on winning the West Division Championship! Hawaii is proud of all of you!

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Differentials for the game:

Rush Pass Tot Rush Pass

43 -14 0.4 0.8 0.4 D

I think this team is so much better. This was a last man standing win. Yes, I am spitting into the wind just for the heck of it.