NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post-Game Notes Hawai‘i at UNLV

Post by Scott »

Post-Game Notes
Hawai‘i at UNLV
Nov. 16, 2019
Sam Boyd Stadium – Las Vegas, Nev.

SERIES INFORMATION
UH maintained possession of the Island Showdown Trophy with its second straight win over UNLV.
· UH is now 17-12 against UNLV, including 6-9 in Las Vegas
· UH snapped a five-game losing streak at Sam Boyd Stadium with its first win at UNLV since in 2007.
· The visiting team won for just the second time in the last 11 meetings.
· UH is 4-4 against UNLV in Mountain West meetings.
· Nick Rolovich moved to 2-2 versus UNLV as UH head coach.

STREAKS/TRENDS
UH owns the longest streak in the country at 141 games without allowing a punt block. Hawai‘i last had a punt blocked by Notre Dame in 2008.

TEAM NOTES
UH gained its seventh win and bowl eligibility for the third time under head coach Nick Rolovich.
UH is bowl eligible in back-to-back seasons for the first time since going to three straight bowl games from 2006-08.
The win secured a non-losing Mountain West record for the third time under Rolovich.
UH allowed just 235 yards against UNLV, the second-lowest total of the season (203 at Nevada)
UH won a game without throwing a touchdown pass for the first time since a 14-13 win at Fresno State on Nov. 19, 2016.
UH scored its third defensive touchdown this season on Cortez Davis’ 43-yard interception return in the third quarter. All three touchdowns have come off of interceptions.
UH had a field goal blocked for the first time in five years when Ryan Meskell’s 35-yard attempt in the third quarter was blocked by Montrice Johns. The last block by an opponent was by Jordan Dobrich of Nevada in 2014.
Rolovich is 9-7 in Mountain West road games, including a 3-1 mark this season.
The win gives the Warriors a winning road record in MW play for the third time in four seasons and an overall winning road record (3-2) for the first time since 2010.
The last time UH defeated both Nevada and UNLV on the road in the same season was 2007. Since then, the Warriors had lost 10 straight to those teams until defeating Nevada, 54-3, on Sept. 28 in Reno.
UH is 6-8 during the month of November under Rolovich.
Rolovich moved to 10-9 versus the MW’s West Division.

INDIVIDUAL NOTES
· In the win Cole McDonald reached 3,000 passing yards for the second straight season. He joins former UH greats Timmy Chang and Colt Brennan as the only UH quarterbacks with two or more seasons with 3,000 yards passing.
McDonald, who came off the bench in the second quarter, finished with 211 yards on 20-of-26 passing and now has 3,007 for the season.
McDonald also scored a pair of rushing touchdowns, the second time this season and third time in his career he has scored multiple rushing touchdowns in a game.
Junior cornerback Cortez Davis returned his first career interception for a touchdown with a 43-yard pick-six that put UH up in the third quarter.
Sophomore linebacker Paul Scott recorded his first career interception with a pick of Kenyon Oblad on the 1-yard line in the fourth quarter.
Andrew Choi recorded his first career sack with a takedown of Kenyon Oblad in the third quarter.
Jared Smart notched his team-leading third 100-yard receiving game this season with nine catches for 106 yards.
Miles Reed rushed for 90 yards on a career-high 22 carries.

Neal Iwamoto
Assistant Media Relations Director
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Athletics Department
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"