Hawaii HS games taking a toll on UH Home Games

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Hawaii HS games taking a toll on UH Home Games

Post by BigWave96744 »

Aside from PPV, Hawaii HS games being played on Saturday nights, are killing Hawaii home game attendance.

Before HS games were Thursday or Friday nights and Saturday day games. Next week Saturday, when Hawaii plays SDSU, there will be 2 HHSAA D1 semi final games and 2 D2 Semi Final games. That's 8 high school teams, family and fans that will not be at Aloha Stadium.

Too bad the OIA, ILH and HHSAA cannot work with UH AD to arrange scheduling that will accommodate all.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Hawaii HS games taking a toll on UH Home Games

Post by gopunahou »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:39 pm Aside from PPV, Hawaii HS games being played on Saturday nights, are killing Hawaii home game attendance.

Before HS games were Thursday or Friday nights and Saturday day games. Next week Saturday, when Hawaii plays SDSU, there will be 2 HHSAA D1 semi final games and 2 D2 Semi Final games. That's 8 high school teams, family and fans that will not be at Aloha Stadium.

Too bad the OIA, ILH and HHSAA cannot work with UH AD to arrange scheduling that will accommodate all.
Whose bright idea was it to schedule those games on a Saturday?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

I agree. Also tough for UH to scout high school prospects when they have a game that same time.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

That's pretty stupid.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Don't they watch the movie FRIDAY Night Lights in Hawaii? :D It's played on Friday. College is Saturday and NFL Sunday.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

3 of the Saturday games are hosted by neighbor island teams. Hard for an Oahu team to travel and play on a Friday. The Open Division games are on Friday. Those are the only games that would really compete with the UH game for attendees and are probably the only ones UH coaches would need to be at for recruiting purposes at this time of the season. There is no problem here, to be honest.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

I've really noticed this happening this season. Whether it's OIA, ILH or Spectrum Sports doing the scheduling, during UH home ga me nights there were some really good Open Division games schedule and shown live one Spectrum16.

For instance
- Mililani/Farrington, Kahuku/Waianae, Punahou/Kapolei same as the Arizona game

- Mililani/Waianae same as the Oregon St game

- Here's one that took a lot of UH fans, Mililani/St John's Bosco, Kamehameha/Farrington, Campbell/Waianae same as the FCS Central Arkansas game

- Kahuku/Campbell same as the Air Force game

As you can that's thousands of fans not making Saturday a tradition for watching the Rainbow Warriors. That's also tons of top recruits not being sideline guest and future fans getting excited to be season ticket holders when they are adults.

This is messed up!!!

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

poidog wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:42 pm 3 of the Saturday games are hosted by neighbor island teams. Hard for an Oahu team to travel and play on a Friday. The Open Division games are on Friday. Those are the only games that would really compete with the UH game for attendees and are probably the only ones UH coaches would need to be at for recruiting purposes at this time of the season. There is no problem here, to be honest.
I thinks that ILH play most of their games at the Stadium and on Friday, but many OIA Open and D1 games are on Saturday nights

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:39 pm Aside from PPV, Hawaii HS games being played on Saturday nights, are killing Hawaii home game attendance.

Great point! This is the first time i've even thought about that.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Ok, I updated my post above, but here are all the OPEN Division games played on the same night as a UH football game

For instance
- Mililani/Farrington, Kahuku/Waianae, Punahou/Kapolei same as the Arizona game

- Mililani/Waianae same as the Oregon St game

- Here's one that took a lot of UH fans, Mililani/St John's Bosco, Kamehameha/Farrington, Campbell/Waianae same as the FCS Central Arkansas game

- Kahuku/Campbell same as the Air Force game

There are way more D1 game's played on Home game nights as well, but I'm too lazy to compile that list.

Yes this is a concern moving forward if they want more butts in the Rust Bucket and future stadium

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:53 pm
poidog wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:42 pm 3 of the Saturday games are hosted by neighbor island teams. Hard for an Oahu team to travel and play on a Friday. The Open Division games are on Friday. Those are the only games that would really compete with the UH game for attendees and are probably the only ones UH coaches would need to be at for recruiting purposes at this time of the season. There is no problem here, to be honest.
I'm only talking about this weekend's games. You are correct about a lot of Saturday night conflicts during the season.
I thinks that ILH play most of their games at the Stadium and on Friday, but many OIA Open and D1 games are on Saturday nights

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Could OC16 have something to do with the high number of Saturday games?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I admit I was never able to see a UH football game at the stadium. I have seen a number of highschool games live back in the day. I would guess that the people who watch either are very different. At highschool games, I remember sceaming parents, highschool kids, and recent graduates for important games.

My guess as to why the stadium is less full is that there are too many restrictions and high costs associated with attending a home game.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Bad move. Seems like they want to market HS football away from poor broke HS students.