Post game thoughts vs UNLV!!!

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post game thoughts vs UNLV!!!

Post by couz808 »

The tale of 2 games. Seems like the offense & defense switched places from last weeks game to this weeks game. Chevan was rattled after the 1st interception and wasn't the same. I guess I should eat some crow and say that the teams finally have film on chevan. I could also see them having QB spy on him. Then cole comes in and he was conservative. Not throwing picks and was careful of his throws. Cole was running a lot more which is good. The defense was wow!!!!!. Probably since the Nevada game were they this good. I guess the defense plays well in the state of Nevada. Pick 6 was awesome! Were they playing zone? Special teams play was average with the blocked fg. Also byrd with the punt return almost fumbled the ball. Cannot be too risky. Overall we need consistency for all phases. San Diego state is going to be tough! Oh wait were bowl eligible. One more win till west division championship and mwc championship game bound.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Post game thoughts vs UNLV!!!

Post by shrek2 »

I think the pick 6 by Cortez Davis was the turning point in the game. The offense could finally relax enough to score another touchdown. If not for the interception, its hard to say how the game would have turned out. If the offense kept on pressing, it might have caused frustration and routes being cut short or overthinking what they should be doing. That defense for UNLV was tough at the linebacker and DB positions.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Our D played against a bad UNLV O (ranked 89 in D1) with a freshman QB who made very bad picks.

Our O played against a bad UNLV D (ranked 92 in D1). This game we should have won by more, IMO. But, A win-is a win-is a win. The chase for the championship continues!!! Go Warriors!!!!!!!!
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Was our D pretty much healthy this game? They played lights out tonight.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Kaimana Padello was out this afternoon but Andrew Choi took his place at one point and played small DE and made a sack. Eugene Ford needs to work on pass coverage. It almost looks like other teams are going in his direction. Oh yeah, Kai Kaneshiro was out which makes me think he was injured. Since I'm not there I can only see where the camera goes.
Last edited by shrek2 on Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I'll take any win at UNLV. UNLV was giving a defensive look that was a more favorable matchup for what Cole is good at (hitting the seam on the RPO throws and running over/past people). They took away the long ball, which is chevan's best throw. I doubt SDSU will use such a light box against us and we will have to be able to throw long, but we'll see.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

there's more interest on message boards when our team losses. lmao
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:27 pm there's more interest on message boards when our team losses. lmao
I guess there's no one to fire when they win

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

JR Hensley got hurt and Bubba Wa'a played so I don't know if he's going to redshirt or not. Somebody posted on Facebook that after JR ends his professional career whatever that may be, that he comes back to Hawaii. I don't know JR personally but I like when the guy talks, always positive interviews and bleeds green. I've known a few offensive linemen in the pros and college and he's an exception in his personality and character.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

One more thing that made me feel good was Paul Scott hit Chuck Williams out of bounds when he was dragging one of the UH DBs within the 10 yard line. He came across the field full speed and must have knocked Williams out two yards out of bounds. This was just before his interception. He didn't get credited for a tackle but man was that a hit! Not a dirty play, Williams was not going down.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Great win! I've been to every LV game since the late 70s. Much needed.

Having said that LV QB was terrible. He missed receivers that were wide open multiple times. We might have had a different story with a better QB. I wouldn't go hyping the D yet. Pumba replacing Padello made a hugh difference defending the run. Padello should be in on passing downs only.

Our running game is coming around. Reed is doing a great job. New wrinkles with the slots running for good yardage at the end of Q4. Slows the DEs and LBs from crashing in on Miles and stretching the field horizontally which opens the lanes for Miles. MacDonald made a big difference with his legs when Vegas was in 8 deep. He needs to make the decision to run more often and decisively. Keeps the LBs in the box. His TDs were the result of his determination and size. 6'4 and 230 ilbs made a bis difference. He powered his way in after being hit short of the goal. Cudos to the OL. They made it happen.

Kai was suited up. I think our D strategy was to stop the run and force the QB to throw. He was a terrible passer, forced throws and that's what resulted in the two INTs. One was a little high which he was most of the game d was forced into heavy coverage. Normally we play a lot of nickle. I don't think we did today.

I hate the reporting that CCs INTs were wind directed. Both INTs were not close to our receivers. The first INT over shoy big time a wide open receiver and the second was right to a DB. The wind wasn't blowing that hard. I didn't feel much of a wind in the first half. There was a slight breeze in the 2nd half. It was still pretty warm at the game.

Hopefully we've solved the 8 deep issue. Run the ball effectively, show a deep pass to stretch the field vertically, slot runs to stretch the field horizontally to slow down crashing DEs and LBs, speed option to test the DEs, Cole taking off when it is there to keep LBs in the box. I would still like to see a RB that can flare out for a pass or release when there is no one to block as a safety valve.

GO BOWS! Big game next week.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

TheDuke wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:59 am Great win! I've been to every LV game since the late 70s. Much needed.
You're a legend and a true Hawaii fan! You were there when the mob was still in control. Hate to say it but I think Vegas was better then than now.

oldhawaiiguy
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by oldhawaiiguy »

What fans?? Winning against quality teams will produce them. But first you need to recruit the best players (local mo,,better like the Tua's etc). Coaches are a dime a dozen, athletic talent wins every time.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

The team broke a losing streak in the town of lost wages. Very much appreciated. SDSU up next, Go Warriors!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Last week attendance vs San Jose St - 16,367

Heard UH at UNLV attendance included about 8,000 Hawai’i fans.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."