Post game thoughts against SJSU!

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post game thoughts against SJSU!

Post by couz808 »

Chevan was magic! The offense was nearly perfect except for that fumble. Chevan for seven! Miles reed went over a 100 yards. The receivers weren’t dropping passes. Special teams did alright. Nothing special but at least mistake free and didn’t have to punt. Defense on the other hand, I think batoon should be on the hot seat. Missed assignments giving up big plays. It’s like every week we give up a couple big plays. It’s already almost the end of the season and we’re still giving up big plays. Also need to work on the penalties. Still giving up yards on penalties. Only way to win is out score the opponent and whoever has the ball last wins. UNLV is going to be tough. 1 more win til Hawaii bowl bound.
Last edited by couz808 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Post game thoughts against SJSU!

Post by Grinch »

Is there anything Warriors can do at this point in season to improve D ... even a little?

And, is it the talent level? Schemes? Both?

Whatever “phase” we’re at, I hope the next involves defense. We need some old school type players like Laboy, Sopoanga, Ulbrich, Pisa, Nate Jackson, Nogas ...
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Chevan makes the correct decisions, plays within the system and follows the game plan. Very consistent and cool cat. Batoon needs to change his scheme, obviously wrong scheme he's playing. Go zone, then many of those big plays against our D will go away. I didn't see the game, but already know what Batoon runs, he doesn't change much, our opposition knows that too.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Grinch wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:35 pm Is there anything Warriors can do at this point in season to improve D ... even a little?

And, is it the talent level? Schemes? Both?

Whatever “phase” we’re at, I hope the next involves defense. We need some old school type players like Laboy, Sopoanga, Ulbrich, Pisa, Nate Jackson, Nogas ...
YES!!!!

Go zone
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

whirlygig5
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by whirlygig5 »

Glad they finally added that wrinkle I was taking about on offense, handing it off the the slot receivers, didn’t gain a lot of yards but we can always fall back on it now since they added it. And ain’t no way we putting any pressure on any QB w that 3 man front. And on running plays the RB gets passed those 3 lineman and don’t get touch sometimes till 3 or 4 yards. Smh

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Rolo said Smitty called all the plays as he had to manage the game.

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

whirlygig5 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:01 am Glad they finally added that wrinkle I was taking about on offense, handing it off the the slot receivers, didn’t gain a lot of yards but we can always fall back on it now since they added it. And ain’t no way we putting any pressure on any QB w that 3 man front. And on running plays the RB gets passed those 3 lineman and don’t get touch sometimes till 3 or 4 yards. Smh
I told my family on that play where they had a man in motion snap the ball under center, then toss the ball back to QB for a pass, that was a great adaptation. Even though the ball was incomplete, I really liked that. Other teams have film of us running the same play - but running under center. It was a nice wrinkle, for sure.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

The defense is struggling without Kalen Hicks in there. Eugene Ford isn't the guy (and hasn't been for a long time) and Akil Francisco isn't ready. We've been struggling since Hicks went down against AFA. Hicks has good range and can tackle in the open field. Ford isn't physical enough and Francisco needs to improve his technique. If there is anyone else on the roster that can play safety, they should give them a shot.

Does anyone know if/when Hicks is coming back?

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Miles Reed showed tonight why he is the starting RB. He ran hard and ran smart, adjusting to what lanes were open after a slow start. He was also blocking very effectively, often taking the blitzer way out of the play. He's gotten so much better over the last few games.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Nice wrinkles. You need to slow the D down with some change ups. About time shhhs. There is more that can be done.

As I stated in another post Chevan had a great game.

The facts are SJSU doesn't have a D. It did come down to the Warriors having to have to score 40+.

SJSU had no answers for our receivers. Their DBs had size but not the speed. I don't know if the DBs were pressing our receivers. It looked like they played off of the receivers because thy couldn't match our speed. Ward just blew by the DBs all you had to do was throw it up there and let him run under it. He was wide open on those long throws. Our receivers had good separation. The passing lanes were big windows.

Our D is a problem. It is what it is. Occasional pressure but in general opposing QBs can sit in the pocket.

Let's see how we handle Las Vegas. And SDSU will be a big test. They have a good D and will physically match up well with our receivers.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Gotta give San Jose a lot of credit for beating Army on their turf because Hawaii got creamed last year by Army and Army almost beat Michigan but lost in OT by three points. Then they also beat SEC Arkansas on their turf.

Also, I really feel like Cole McDonald is an athlete and could play a lot of positions where we have a need. UH is hurting for athletes. Why can't he be out there in another position?

vailima
All-conference
All-conference

Post by vailima »

Students suck a$$, no support. Student section empty. Glad Chevan had a good outing, but Fresno and AF losses are on the coaches not Cole. If Cole is going to be treated like this, hope he finds a good school that will appreciate his talents. I think Rolo is the right coach for Hawaii, but lately, he’s been giving games away.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:57 am Gotta give San Jose a lot of credit for beating Army on their turf because Hawaii got creamed last year by Army and Army almost beat Michigan but lost in OT by three points. Then they also beat SEC Arkansas on their turf.

Also, I really feel like Cole McDonald is an athlete and could play a lot of positions where we have a need. UH is hurting for athletes. Why can't he be out there in another position?
We only lost by 6 to Army, if I remember correctly.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

vailima wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:20 am Students suck a$$, no support. Student section empty. Glad Chevan had a good outing, but Fresno and AF losses are on the coaches not Cole. If Cole is going to be treated like this, hope he finds a good school that will appreciate his talents. I think Rolo is the right coach for Hawaii, but lately, he’s been giving games away.
I think it is fine if you think Cole should be the starter, but you are making it like it is a no-brainer that he should be starting over chevan. Cole has been inconsist and his throws against Fresno were very erratic. It is not a no-brainer.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

whirlygig5 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:01 am Glad they finally added that wrinkle I was taking about on offense, handing it off the the slot receivers, didn’t gain a lot of yards but we can always fall back on it now since they added it. And ain’t no way we putting any pressure on any QB w that 3 man front. And on running plays the RB gets passed those 3 lineman and don’t get touch sometimes till 3 or 4 yards. Smh
They ran this play the first game of the season. Cedric Byrd took the hand-off for 3 yards.