Post game thoughts against SJSU!

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
vailima
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Post game thoughts against SJSU!

Post by vailima »

poidog wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:00 am
vailima wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:20 am Students suck a$$, no support. Student section empty. Glad Chevan had a good outing, but Fresno and AF losses are on the coaches not Cole. If Cole is going to be treated like this, hope he finds a good school that will appreciate his talents. I think Rolo is the right coach for Hawaii, but lately, he’s been giving games away.
I think it is fine if you think Cole should be the starter, but you are making it like it is a no-brainer that he should be starting over chevan. Cole has been inconsist and his throws against Fresno were very erratic. It is not a no-brainer.
Cole and the offense did enough to be in the game, I just think it’s a dicc move to bench a very good QB because you’re being outschemed and outcoached.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

poidog wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:31 am The defense is struggling without Kalen Hicks in there. Eugene Ford isn't the guy (and hasn't been for a long time) and Akil Francisco isn't ready. We've been struggling since Hicks went down against AFA. Hicks has good range and can tackle in the open field. Ford isn't physical enough and Francisco needs to improve his technique. If there is anyone else on the roster that can play safety, they should give them a shot.

Does anyone know if/when Hicks is coming back?
I have always wanted Ford to move to linebacker. I think he plays better closer to the line of scrimmage and could give us that missing pass rush.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

poidog wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:36 am Miles Reed showed tonight why he is the starting RB. He ran hard and ran smart, adjusting to what lanes were open after a slow start. He was also blocking very effectively, often taking the blitzer way out of the play. He's gotten so much better over the last few games.
Agree that Reed has been improving as a runner, but on the fumble play where the SJSU defender knocked the ball out of Cordeiro's hand from the blind side, Reed whiffed on the block and never even slowed the guy down.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

vailima wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:05 am
poidog wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:00 am
vailima wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:20 am Students suck a$$, no support. Student section empty. Glad Chevan had a good outing, but Fresno and AF losses are on the coaches not Cole. If Cole is going to be treated like this, hope he finds a good school that will appreciate his talents. I think Rolo is the right coach for Hawaii, but lately, he’s been giving games away.
I think it is fine if you think Cole should be the starter, but you are making it like it is a no-brainer that he should be starting over chevan. Cole has been inconsist and his throws against Fresno were very erratic. It is not a no-brainer.
Cole and the offense did enough to be in the game, I just think it’s a dicc move to bench a very good QB because you’re being outschemed and outcoached.
As coach Rolo has said that we are lucky to have 2 quarterbacks who can play. I am happy that Chevan had a good game. I am also happy that we have Cole and I know that he can play. With either one we are good to go.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

I wonder how Cole would have done but Chevan did well. I think our defense is beat up they need to recuperate.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

dakineguy wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:38 pm I wonder how Cole would have done but Chevan did well. I think our defense is beat up they need to recuperate.
We had to score on every possession last night. There was not one stop at all. Would Cole have gone three or four and out on one possession? That was an offensive dog fight. Actually, SJSU's offense looked better than UH although I thought they should have gone for it on 4th down instead of kicking the field goal. If it was BSU of FSU, you know those coaches would have gone for it.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Offensively we would have been effective with either Chevan or Cole. The difference is that Fresno's D was much better then SJSU. I was surprised that most of the first half and a good part of the 2nd half SJ did not play 8 deep. Their game plan was to put pressure on Chevan. They played man on our receivers and rarely pressed our wide outs. There was some press coverage on our left wideout but rarely pressed JoJo. And you found out why. The DB could not run with JoJo. JoJo just blew by the DB.

Against Fresno there was little separation. Every time a receiver caught a ball they were hit hard. Funny you saw dropped balls against Fresno and no drop balls against SJSU. You saw very little YAC against Fresno and we got some YAC against SDSU.

Game ball to me should go to the OL. They protected well, Chevan had time to pass, And their run blocking opened some big gaps for Reed and Holly.

I liked the wrinles. The slot runs slows down the pass rush and stretches the field horizontally. It also keeps the LBs in the box. The sprint option where Cordeiro scored has been effective all year. You need to show it at least oce every game. Again, stretches the field horizontally and keeps the LBs closer to the line of scrimmage and opens up the passing lanes. I liked that play where Cordeiro turned right to pass and quickly spun to the left for the TD.

On a 3 man rush and if the Oline is handling the pass rush I would still like to see our RB release as a check down receiver. LBs would have to move up to cover him and that would open up some short passes behind them.

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

vailima wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:20 am If Cole is going to be treated like this, hope he finds a good school that will appreciate his talents.
????????????

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Nisei wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:36 pm
vailima wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:20 am If Cole is going to be treated like this, hope he finds a good school that will appreciate his talents.
????????????
Cole Already used his redshirt so he would have to graduate this season to be able to transfer and play next season.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Chevan was great! So was Miles Reed!

Forcing a team to kick four field goals in a game and still giving up 40 was not. :lol:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I was impressed with SJSU quarterback and offense. Not so with their defense. Chevan impressed me with his feet and ability to throw on the run. His quick feet was a factor in our offense getting big plays.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

I will disagree with you on Cole. He does really good most of the time. The first few games he on it. He the man. Then as the season progresses Cole starts to go in a funk. He begins to miss his target receivers. Starts to make bad decisions. Those particular plays it is uncharacteristic of Cole. What is it that makes Cole play or act out of character one minute then is on it the next? Had Cole played a better 3rd quarter Hawaii would have beat FS. The offense needed Cole to play his best in order to win. For some reason his throws became errant and were missing his targets by a mile. It isn't the first game this has happened. We saw this happen last year.

Don't get me wrong, it is a team effort and they all could have played better to get that win. The Air Force team was too much for us. Our defense was holy and our offense was dead.

What a great call by coach Rolo to change things up. It worked out perfectly for the win.

Hopefully Cole will regroup. See his faults and correct them. Until then If Cordero is the starter hopefully he continues to progress and leads the team to victories the rest of the season. If anything happens Cole needs to step up and be dependable for 4 quarters. Not just 2 quarters or 3.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

HawaiianHogster wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:51 pm
I will disagree with you on Cole. He does really good most of the time. The first few games he on it. He the man. Then as the season progresses Cole starts to go in a funk. He begins to miss his target receivers. Starts to make bad decisions. Those particular plays it is uncharacteristic of Cole. What is it that makes Cole play or act out of character one minute then is on it the next? Had Cole played a better 3rd quarter Hawaii would have beat FS. The offense needed Cole to play his best in order to win. For some reason his throws became errant and were missing his targets by a mile. It isn't the first game this has happened. We saw this happen last year.

Don't get me wrong, it is a team effort and they all could have played better to get that win. The Air Force team was too much for us. Our defense was holy and our offense was dead.

What a great call by coach Rolo to change things up. It worked out perfectly for the win.

Hopefully Cole will regroup. See his faults and correct them. Until then If Cordero is the starter hopefully he continues to progress and leads the team to victories the rest of the season. If anything happens Cole needs to step up and be dependable for 4 quarters. Not just 2 quarters or 3.
Very good summary of the Cole McDonald experience.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

As I watch the replay, there is no way we win the game without the successful running game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzXWA4G1V5E

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

dakineguy wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:38 pm I wonder how Cole would have done but Chevan did well. I think our defense is beat up they need to recuperate.
I am happy that Chevan played well. Cole would have ate SJSU up. SJSU did not match up well on JoJo and therefore they did not use press man on him. JoJo just blew by that DB. And for most of the game they didn't play eight deep.