shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Post game thoughts against New Mexico

Post by shrek2 »

The AP poll gave the MWC a lot of love after this weekend putting San Diego State at 25 after a 3 point win over UNLV. Boise State moved up one at 21 after an idle weekend.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Was feeling pretty good at the half. Not so good after the half.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:43 pm This is time for second guessing right? At 7:16 left in the game in the fourth quarter, Hawaii has the ball at their own 28 yard line and leading 45-17. By fourth down, with Chevan Cordeiro at quarterback, they have a yard to go and it takes a lot of time to call in the play and New Mexico loads the box and they call a Hekili run where he loses one yard and gives the ball to New Mexico with 6:04 left in the game at the 36 yard line of UH. This is what made a good win into a not so good win as the score went up to 45-31 as the final and UH could have lost. IMHO, we should have punted -or- called a timeout to give the 4th down attempt a better chance for success other than a slow developing play with a handoff to the halfback. Hope our defense comes out of this weekend with no injuries. Hope the coaches learned from this experience.
Big backs don't mean anything if they don't have a fast start. Iosefa did. Ilaoa did. Having a big back for the sake of having a big back is not a good idea.

Rolo will eventually lose a game for us. You have to be smart about things. You don't go on fourth unless the situation is right. This situation was'nt a good one and the play call was worse.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

no pass rush!!!! Even a bad QB ( and backups ) look good if he has all day to pass.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

I agree - no pass rush. I haven’t focused on him, but is Padello still being used as a edge pass rusher - especially on passing downs? Last year, that’s pretty much all he did - and did it well - pin his ears back and get after the QB. This year, I have seen him dropping into coverage.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

My thinking is, after the poor coaching that went on in the fourth quarter, its going to be hard to get the boys up to play this weekend. In a way it was a demoralizing win.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

the remainder of the season: 5-0 for a regular season 10-3. yes, sloppy or lucky wins here and there, but, they are wins. time was when hawaii was always on the wrong side of sloppy and lucky in losing. now, slop and luck are entertaining hawaii's favor. the next five games are winnable games. hope they close out december 11-3.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:18 pm My thinking is, after the poor coaching that went on in the fourth quarter, its going to be hard to get the boys up to play this weekend. In a way it was a demoralizing win.
I think that's a little bit overreacting. they put in the backups and the backups didn't do well. it happens. it happened to Boise against us, actually, and we got within 2 scores with 3 minutes left. they put the starters back in and they took care of business.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

st808 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:35 pm the remainder of the season: 5-0 for a regular season 10-3. yes, sloppy or lucky wins here and there, but, they are wins. time was when hawaii was always on the wrong side of sloppy and lucky in losing. now, slop and luck are entertaining hawaii's favor. the next five games are winnable games. hope they close out december 11-3.
If we go 5-0 the rest of the season, wouldn't we win the division? If that happens, we'll have finished by having played 15 games.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:09 pm
st808 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:35 pm the remainder of the season: 5-0 for a regular season 10-3. yes, sloppy or lucky wins here and there, but, they are wins. time was when hawaii was always on the wrong side of sloppy and lucky in losing. now, slop and luck are entertaining hawaii's favor. the next five games are winnable games. hope they close out december 11-3.
If we go 5-0 the rest of the season, wouldn't we win the division? If that happens, we'll have finished by having played 15 games.
13 games...plus the Hawaii Bowl...14 games...close enough.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:09 pm
yes, you are right. guess that punahou learning is more gooder than mines. i would love a 12-3 finish.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Grinch wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:05 pm I agree - no pass rush. I haven’t focused on him, but is Padello still being used as a edge pass rusher - especially on passing downs? Last year, that’s pretty much all he did - and did it well - pin his ears back and get after the QB. This year, I have seen him dropping into coverage.
Agree, they should just put Padello as MLB.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

poidog wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:30 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:18 pm My thinking is, after the poor coaching that went on in the fourth quarter, its going to be hard to get the boys up to play this weekend. In a way it was a demoralizing win.
I think that's a little bit overreacting. they put in the backups and the backups didn't do well. it happens. it happened to Boise against us, actually, and we got within 2 scores with 3 minutes left. they put the starters back in and they took care of business.
If anything, this show UH is pretty thin in that there is a big drop off from the Starters.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

fresno state game is winnable. hawaii has improved over last year and has improved with each game played. fresno state will play tough, but hawaii can win.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

poidog wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:30 pm
Well, I guess the proof is in the pudding and we well see how the Hawaii defensive and offensive line perform against Fresno State who has a losing record. If I was playing defense, I would say freak, WTF are they doing going for first down with a shitty run on fourth down at the 36 yard line of UH without a plan. It's one thing to put the second string in on UNM territory, its another thing putting Hawaii on its heels with ball on the 36 yard line of UH. The whole purpose of the second half of the game is to create momentum into the next game. Even if we were losing, its all about creating momentum to winning or at least being competitive in the next game.