Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

*****OFFICIAL Hawaii vs New Mexico Game Thread*****

Post by Parkpill »

Four days before it is scheduled to play the University of Hawaii, New Mexico announced today that it has suspended its starting quarterback.

Senior Sheriron Jones is suspended “indefinitely,” head coach Bob Davie said at today’s press conference in Albuquerque, N. M., where the 2-5 Lobos play UH Saturday in a Mountain West Conference game.

Davie declined to disclose a reason for the suspension.

Jones began his career at the University of Tennessee before transferring to a junior college and, then, UNM,

Tevaka Tuioti is expected to start against UH. Tuioti, a 6-foot, 2-inch, 210-pound redshirt sophomore, was recruited by UH out of Long Beach, Calif.

Tuioti is the more accomplished passer of the two, having completed 43 of 87 passes for 720 yards with 5 touchdowns and four interceptions in five games.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/10/ ... of-hawaii/

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: New Mexico suspends starting quarterback ‘indefinitely’ before face-off with University of Hawaii

Post by Irse »

Hopefully the backup doesn't have a career day against us like another backup did recently.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Re: New Mexico suspends starting quarterback ‘indefinitely’ before face-off with University of Hawaii

Post by uhwarriors »

Both Jones and Tuioti have started 3 games each this season although Jones started the last 2. So it's not as if Tuioti hasn't played. He's also the better passer of the two. He's also pretty mobile although maybe not as much as Jones.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Irse wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:12 pm Hopefully the backup doesn't have a career day against us like another backup did recently.
First thing that came to mind. Nooooooooo.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

And we thought the Stovall deal was shocking. There are worst.

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

New Mexico has seen video footage of us that they will blow us away if they start their backup qb. Smart call!

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

^^^ Good point. With that said, UH should start Boone Abbott at QB for the next game. No film on him, so get chance.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Start Uahinui. One career pass attempt. One completion. One touchdown throw. New Mexico defense would be looking at touchdown balls all game long from Justin.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Tevaka Tuioti, a 6-foot-2 and 195-pound athlete of La Mirada (Calif.) was high on Hawaii's recruiting priority list this past week. Tuioti was one of Hawaii’s official visitors this past weekend. When he got on the plane to head home, he was surprised to see who he was sitting next to.

“I didn’t really think (the coaches) were going to come to my house right after the trip,” Tuioti said. “I was actually sitting next to them on the flight home. I was nervous, but when they came in it was like a regular meeting. My parents really loved coach Rolovich and his honesty with everything he said. I felt like they really showed me a lot of love.”

https://twitter.com/TevakaTuioti/status ... 6722649089

The in-home experience came just days after he was wowed on the islands. The trip included canoeing, surfing, a tour of Aloha Stadium and a lot of good food.

“It was amazing,” Tuioti said. “They treated us like we were their sons. We weren’t just any regular players. They weren’t pressuring us at all. It felt like home when I was there. I really love the coaching staff. They are all funny, it felt like they were my dad away from home. It was my first time going there. They have incredible food, incredible views and there is really nice, humble people there.”

Tuioti is one of the most versatile athletes available on the West Coast and he could end up playing a variety of positions. The top schools he is considering include Hawaii, Wyoming and New Mexico and each school sees him at multiple positions.

Hawaii’s coaching staff sees him as a quarterback first and then try him in the defensive secondary. Wyoming likes him at safety and could also work him in as a quarterback. New Mexico is recruiting him as a QB, but would also like him to come in right away as a returner.

“I’ve told all the coaches that I’m just a football player and I’ll play any position,” Tuioti said. “Wherever they need me, they can put me. I just want to contribute to the team and hopefully win a championship with that team.”

On his official visit to Hawaii, he got to hear more from new offensive coordinator Zak Hill on what they have planned for the offense and how his skillset could complement it.

“What he brought over was the spread offense,” Tuioti said. “They only have one back in the backfield. It’s different concepts. He likes the passing game, which I liked about it. It fits me because they run the option too. I feel real close with coach Brian Smith and coach Rolovich. From spending time with them on the visit, I feel like the bond is really strong in just the three days I spent with them. I felt like it’s a good fit, but we’ll see.”
https://247sports.com/college/hawaii/Ar ... -75016451/

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

My3Cats wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:12 am Start Uahinui. One career pass attempt. One completion. One touchdown throw. New Mexico defense would be looking at touchdown balls all game long from Justin.
Short meeting in the film room for them.

UH should announce that. "Cole McDonald is hurt with undisclosed injury, will start Uahinui." Star Advertiser, print that.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

*****OFFICIAL Hawaii vs New Mexico Game Thread*****

Post by shrek2 »

Hawaii should consider it motivation that it will be going to yet another opposing team's homecoming game. That would make it three homecoming games which Hawaii will play in for opposing teams. So far, they sent the Nevada fans home sad, they sent the Boise fans home happy. No matter, win or lose, play tough UH.

One thing I didn't take note of was Mason Vega was out against Boise and Air Force and he was one of my favorites on defense and will be back at New Mexico. They've had defensive games against most teams except when they played NMSU which was a shoot out. Hopefully our defense will show up and have some stops on the QB, Tuioti. Tuioti played the whole game against NMSU and had his best game.

Let's have a no turnover game Bows. No drive ending penalties either. Show them that we belong in the MWC. Go Bows.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: *****OFFICIAL Hawaii vs New Mexico Pre-Game Thread*****

Post by st808 »

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

st808 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:21 am looks like jones is gone.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/new-mexi ... -suspended
I don't get it. Why? He is the starting QB. Let's not kid ourselves, he should get plenty, and plenty willing. There is no need to sit in a car solo.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:53 am

I don't get it. Why? He is the starting QB. Let's not kid ourselves, he should get plenty, and plenty willing. There is no need to sit in a car solo.
Sometimes one is just a lonely number.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:53 am

maybe he was checking to see if his game balls were inflated properly.