shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post Game Thoughts vs Air Force!!!

Post by shrek2 »

This game made it clear as to where Hawaii stands in the MWC. I am still an avid Hawaii football fan. Hawaii, as a team, seemed out of sync. Hawaii may have achieved success too early too soon and had no inspiration for the Air Force game. It seemed on the sweep option, the defenders did not try to hit the quarterback before the pitch. No drive to at least hit one player and waiting therefore causing for big QB and halfback runs.

Looking at the future competition, UNM, UNLV and SJSU look like possible wins while SDSU and Fresno look like probable losses. Then there's Army which looks like a likely loss. It was obvious by the Air Force loss that Hawaii will probably not be looking at the MWC playoffs but there is a slim possibility. It may be looking like a BYU-Hawaii matchup after BYU's win over Boise unless Hawaii messes up on getting the last three wins.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Re: Post Game Thoughts vs Air Force!!!

Post by UnBiasFan »

Service academy players are some of the most highly motivated young people in the country.

One of our DB’s made a tackle at a point in the game when the game was still in reach.

It was a throw down tackle. The extra throw down wasn’t necessary. I seem to remember them kicking the crap out of us for the rest of the game.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Was the DB Bethley or Cortez? I'm sure that they are the only physical DBs on the UH team. It really looked like none of the DBs have catch up speed. Ro Farris looked like he was always chasing somebody to the end zone. Air Force has way more speed than UH at all the skill positions.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

The defensive scheme was wrong. against option teams you want to string out the play to the sideline, no one was there to take the the RB after the QB pitched the ball. heck, no one was there if the QB kept the ball either—outside the tackles, nada. The AF offense turned the corner on us easily, no perimeter defensive player was out there.It looked like the defender that had the QB, had to take the RB on the pitch too! Batoon stacked the middle to take the dive away, and no one guarded the perimeter. It's not our players, it was the D scheme.

Our offense needs help too. Six points in the second half. Cole missed many open receivers that could have gone for scores. A few dropped passes. But, we need to be mixing it up and adding a swing pass to the RB, flares to the flat, WR screens, stretch the D horizontally, not just vertically. make the D run all over the field chasing the ball. With AF playing D the way they were, it would have been perfect to mix in the RPO for a few plays a half. throw them off their game.

Our game prep still stinks, IMO. It looks like there's no plan B if our O and D falters. We did great against Nevada because they're just a poorly coached team.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:14 pm Was the DB Bethley or Cortez? I'm sure that they are the only physical DBs on the UH team. It really looked like none of the DBs have catch up speed. Ro Farris looked like he was always chasing somebody to the end zone. Air Force has way more speed than UH at all the skill positions.

I was watching on my iPad. Could have been safety/LB? I just noticed the throw down as being a bit unnecessary.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

The defense stunk up the house. The offense sputtered and died. Special teams held their own. The Falcons were pure domination. Warriors shot themselves in the foot so many times that you wonder why nobody called for the ambulance. 20K fans in the house. Next home game it will be worse in the stands. I give credit to the fans who showed up at the game or watched on, wait for it, NATIONAL TV. So shame.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I'll keep going to the games because that's what I do... But I'm pretty close to going back to norm chow mode where I just show up and expect the worst. The unsportsmanlike penalties and missed tackles are the trademarks of a team that plays like a group of losers. I thought those days were done but I guess not.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Big few weeks ahead. Need to beat New Mexico and then bounce back strong against Fresno to fend off the "here we go again" vibes from 2018.

No doubt, this was bad. Losing big to a ranked team on the road is one thing. Saturday night's loss...I thought Phase 2 had put results like that in the past. Not so.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Seems Rolo has focused recruiting on offense. We have talent at receivers, oline, and QB. Now build the D.

This aside, the defensive game plan was horrible. And, the Warriors didn’t seem to be ready to play mentally. Like there was a disturbance in the force.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

There were two unsportsmanlike penalties that I remember. One was for Stovall where he tossed the ball to the oncoming defense which is just plain stupid but what do you do when there are no punt returners besides him. The second one was from Hensley which was another stupid penalty because he should have just pushed the tacklers away from ball carrier instead of pushing after the play. Hensley is on a head trip right now. It looks like he's really 350 instead of the 310 that he's listed as. He's not moving well with his feet on the blocks. But 5 years of experience cannot overcome his frustration he's probably feeling at this point in his career.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Wisconsin got upset by a 2 - 4 Illinois team this past week too. No one's saying the Badgers should bench a player for a penalty or decrying the defensive effort. This kind of thing goes on every day in football.

I'm not worried one bit about the team or the coaches. We're in position to make good things happen...and yet, we don't. The last two games, I saw that the other team wanted it more. We need to be more like that 2 - 4 Illinois team from here on out. Get it done. I'm happy with a Hawaii Bowl bid.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I missed the days of the Triple Option with Michael Carter.

UH was in the game up till the half. IMO, it takes a lot of energy to defend the Option. And UH just got tired and out of gas.

OK, I even missed the Triple Option with Garrett Gabriel, and the dead duck throws.

Rich Miano for DC, how long do we keep him away from UH football?

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:16 pm There were two unsportsmanlike penalties that I remember. One was for Stovall where he tossed the ball to the oncoming defense which is just plain stupid but what do you do when there are no punt returners besides him. The second one was from Hensley which was another stupid penalty because he should have just pushed the tacklers away from ball carrier instead of pushing after the play. Hensley is on a head trip right now. It looks like he's really 350 instead of the 310 that he's listed as. He's not moving well with his feet on the blocks. But 5 years of experience cannot overcome his frustration he's probably feeling at this point in his career.
Handing the ball to the defensive player for an unsportsmanlike penalty is unacceptable behavior. John Ursua would hand the ball to the refs after making a play or touchdown, as if it were part of the play. Very respectful.

Cole does that too most of the time.

The coaches should make that part of practice, as part of the play, hand the ball off to the ref after a well executed play or touchdown, like it was scripted. No need to hit a double bicep pose, behave like you've done it before and expect to do it over again.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

Post by Parkpill »

-We lost to 3 of the toughest opponents on our schedule.
-The rest of the schedule is winnable.
-More speed is needed on defense for sure.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Yup, UH got exposed on defense for their lack of speed. Air Force can certainly go zoom zoom zoom.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.