*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Post Game Thoughts vs Air Force!!!

Post by shrek2 »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:35 am
shrek2 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:16 pm There were two unsportsmanlike penalties that I remember. One was for Stovall where he tossed the ball to the oncoming defense which is just plain stupid but what do you do when there are no punt returners besides him. The second one was from Hensley which was another stupid penalty because he should have just pushed the tacklers away from ball carrier instead of pushing after the play. Hensley is on a head trip right now. It looks like he's really 350 instead of the 310 that he's listed as. He's not moving well with his feet on the blocks. But 5 years of experience cannot overcome his frustration he's probably feeling at this point in his career.
Handing the ball to the defensive player for an unsportsmanlike penalty is unacceptable behavior. John Ursua would hand the ball to the refs after making a play or touchdown, as if it were part of the play. Very respectful.

Cole does that too most of the time.

The coaches should make that part of practice, as part of the play, hand the ball off to the ref after a well executed play or touchdown, like it was scripted. No need to hit a double bicep pose, behave like you've done it before and expect to do it over again.
Stovall is a special case. He is a talented punt and kick returner and can shown brilliance on his ability in the R&S. Unfortunately, he has a history where he was suspended at Cal for conduct detrimental to the team (whatever that means). He can make it to the NFL on just returning punts and kickoffs but his attitude is going to hold him back from being successful. Never learned it at Cal, still has a chip on his shoulder at Hawaii.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

My3Cats wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:15 am Yup, UH got exposed on defense for their lack of speed. Air Force can certainly go zoom zoom zoom.
I really wish they would move Okeke back to LB because it would give us more depth and speed at LB and potentially more speed in the secondary with a true DB back there.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Yes, on the speed part. Okeke is kind of small to be LB, no? 6.0 200#.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:07 pm Yes, on the speed part. Okeke is kind of small to be LB, no? 6.0 200#.
A little small but doable in certain packages.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I guess in the future, I like Justice Augafa as kick returner and maybe try somebody else on punt returner like Lincoln Victor or try Cortez Davis. Both Byrd and Ward have muffed punts but Ward did not lose any.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Air Force has a really good team. I hope that one day we will have a really good team. We are not there yet. But I think that in time we will.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

It seems to me that the run and shoot teams seem to have trouble defending against the triple option teams. In the past we have beaten them by scoring more points but this team wasn't able to do that. Something to work on I guess since we will undoubtedly run into this offense again. Perhaps if they add a little triple option into the run and shoot ? I am not a coach so up to them to figure everything out. I am guessing there were things we could have done that weren't done and certainly penalties that didn't need to be. I hope we win the rest.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

dakineguy wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:02 pm It seems to me that the run and shoot teams seem to have trouble defending against the triple option teams. In the past we have beaten them by scoring more points but this team wasn't able to do that. Something to work on I guess since we will undoubtedly run into this offense again. Perhaps if they add a little triple option into the run and shoot ? I am not a coach so up to them to figure everything out. I am guessing there were things we could have done that weren't done and certainly penalties that didn't need to be. I hope we win the rest.
What Hawaii does on offense has nothing to do with their offense. Hawaii’s defense just couldn’t slow down Air Force enough. There was only going to be two ways Hawaii could win. Start fast and score early on offense and get a few early stops on defense to get Air Force away from their running attack, which is what happened with Navy last year. OR just dominate on defense against Air Force all game regardless of what Hawaii’s offense did, which is highly unlikely.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

i was going to post something rather smart about the air force game but fell asleep instead. when i woke up i forgot about the game and the smartest thought was gone too. looked at the schedule and saw new mexico on the schedule for this saturday and focused on that game, an away game, at that.

hope the team is on the same page. forget about air force, that offense is gone for the season. focus on new mexico and get us to 5-3.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

EITSwarrior wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:47 pm
dakineguy wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:02 pm It seems to me that the run and shoot teams seem to have trouble defending against the triple option teams. In the past we have beaten them by scoring more points but this team wasn't able to do that. Something to work on I guess since we will undoubtedly run into this offense again. Perhaps if they add a little triple option into the run and shoot ? I am not a coach so up to them to figure everything out. I am guessing there were things we could have done that weren't done and certainly penalties that didn't need to be. I hope we win the rest.
What Hawaii does on offense has nothing to do with their offense. Hawaii’s defense just couldn’t slow down Air Force enough. There was only going to be two ways Hawaii could win. Start fast and score early on offense and get a few early stops on defense to get Air Force away from their running attack, which is what happened with Navy last year. OR just dominate on defense against Air Force all game regardless of what Hawaii’s offense did, which is highly unlikely.
I don't think any UH defense could slow them down much but other offenses could score more points. Word it however you want but this offense wasn't able to match the points they put up with their offense. I am not a coach or anything that is just how I see it. I think we are just using different words to say the same thing. Their offense seemed pretty good. I think our defense is getting good but no match for that type of offense apparently so we needed to score more points than they did.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Some of you mentioned this. I was looking at the Nick Rolo show, and notice that it was a bit hard for the eyes to focus on the players, in certain lighting during the game, with that battle ship gray uniform.

Maybe AF is on to something...

Teams trying to be cool by making it bright, cool with neon colors. Those colors stand out, and are easy to spot.

Maybe UH should change their green to "army green." It's got to do "something" to the eyes. Like the players blend in to a big mass of gray. For the split millisecond, it was hard to see each individual players, before the eyes and brain catches up. And that's all the time it take to bust open a play.

No it's not because I'm old. And I have a big 4K UHD TV.

On the flip side, NM game this week. Those red uniforms really stood out. Ok, does color really matter? Did it help UH? No, this is big boy football. No excuses. But there is a reason why they paint Tripler army hospital in color pink.

UH's new colors, flat green and flat black FTW.