shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post game thoughts vs Boise State!!!

Post by shrek2 »

I thought Hawaii played Boise the toughest I've seen in years especially for a Boise State team that has a number of 4 star recruits.

ESPN announcers didn't have much color information about Hawaii other than talking about Rolovich and his colorful behavior at the MWC conference and dressing up off season to bring attention to the Hawaii football program. They also pointed out that Rolo feels like there is a conspiracy by the MWC to only promote certain teams in the MWC such as Boise and favoritism by the referees to these MWC favorites. I can't say that I disagree with him. Other than Rolo and a little about Cole, not much about the UH program. We need a little better publicists working for UH to create stories that we, fans know.

whirlygig5
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Post game thoughts vs Boise State!!!

Post by whirlygig5 »

I think UHs offense has a tendency to look really good at time but also had a tendency if a Lil off, like n timing, can be Fragile and have a snow ball effect and have everything just avalanche on them quickly like how it did against UW and again last night against Boise st. It’s unfortunate that theres nothing to fall back on except just keep on throwing it till they get the timing back. But by then they might already be to far behind to catch up.
Last edited by whirlygig5 on Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Based on the two drops by JoJo Ward in one series, I'd say the passing game took a week off. It also seemed like Cole has not been able to hit Stovall in stride on the deep route. He did that earlier in another game.

Hula Bowl picks did not look like the best in the country this past week.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

It would have taken a Herculean effort to beat Boise State on the blue turf... Boise lands some really good recruits and has a tradition of winning. Hawaii didn't play a clean game and Boise State talent and depth just over matched Hawaii at Boise. With out the turnovers the game would have been closer but it was not the traditional 38 point loss like the majority of Hawaii teams of the past.

This Boise State game showed us that the Phase 2 is still in it's early stages and Hawaii Football is back folks, Rolo has got the program tracking in the right direction. This years team is really good and has a chance to do something special and should be back to for a rematch against Boise State in the MWC Championship game. Just got prepare, focus, play clean games, execute what the coaches are calling or just play smart, tough, fast football the rest of the season.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

The penalty happy referees...and a shaken Cole were mostly to blame here. I think a little more Chevan, sooner, would've helped. I'm not saying Chevan is a better quarterback but something was askew. Tempers flared...and moxy given by the Donks was allowed by the Bows who gave up a few points. How can we score nearly 40 points and lose the game? Oh...coaching had something to do with it too. Still, we're not push-overs.

Jeremiah Pritchard ejected on a run defense play....his only tackle of the game?!!!

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

WarriorTyme wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:39 am It would have taken a Herculean effort to beat Boise State on the blue turf... Boise lands some really good recruits and has a tradition of winning. Hawaii didn't play a clean game and Boise State talent and depth just over matched Hawaii at Boise. With out the turnovers the game would have been closer but it was not the traditional 38 point loss like the majority of Hawaii teams of the past.

This Boise State game showed us that the Phase 2 is still in it's early stages and Hawaii Football is back folks, Rolo has got the program tracking in the right direction. This years team is really good and has a chance to do something special and should be back to for a rematch against Boise State in the MWC Championship game. Just got prepare, focus, play clean games, execute what the coaches are calling or just play smart, tough, fast football the rest of the season.
Yup, this game felt a lot better than a typical visit to Boise. Didn't feel like we were out of it.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

I’m not saying Warriors would’ve won, but I gotta vent: the refs sure didn’t help ... except helping Boise.

In first half, Pritchard gets tossed from game for a targeting - on a run between the tackles, as he fills the hole, and RB looks like he’s starting to lower his head.
On a Boise passing TD, I’m pretty sure I saw olineman holding dlineman’s Jersey from behind after being beat. No call.
Hawaii receiver and Boise db get unsportsmanlike penalties when even announcers thought Boise player was getting in refs ear.
On Smart’s fumble, I thought play was over but whistle not blown.
There’s more ... but only after Boise goes up big do refs flag them.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

oldhawaiiguy
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by oldhawaiiguy »

UH has a history of not traveling well for big games. They play like they didn't know what the game is all about, especially at the start. They're just not prepared to play at the first gun it seems.

oldhawaiiguy
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by oldhawaiiguy »

UH has a history of not traveling well for big games. They play like they didn't know what the game is all about, especially at the start. They're just not prepared to play at the first gun it seems.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Grinch wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:09 am I’m not saying Warriors would’ve won, but I gotta vent: the refs sure didn’t help ... except helping Boise.

In first half, Pritchard gets tossed from game for a targeting - on a run between the tackles, as he fills the hole, and RB looks like he’s starting to lower his head.
On a Boise passing TD, I’m pretty sure I saw olineman holding dlineman’s Jersey from behind after being beat. No call.
Hawaii receiver and Boise db get unsportsmanlike penalties when even announcers thought Boise player was getting in refs ear.
On Smart’s fumble, I thought play was over but whistle not blown.
There’s more ... but only after Boise goes up big do refs flag them.
This is Rolo's conspiracy theory on trying to keep Hawaii in their place. I like the fact that he is passing this on to the ESPN broadcasters so that they can start to replay what he is talking about and show it to the nation.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Warriors did not play a clean game and got their butts whipped. Can't make those kinds of mistakes against a quality team.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

There is a small chance that Hawaii may face Boise again but due to Hawaii's schedule against Army who lost to Michigan by 3 and SDSU, Air Force and Fresno being tough games, it's an uphill climb. Hawaii had no defense against their taller and fast receivers being beaten over the top by all three quarterbacks. It's not necessarily the quarterbacks but the receivers. I didn't see Kai Kaneshiro in the picture after the first quarter and I did see Kalen Hicks knock the ball away at the last minute to breakup a touchdown pass. If both of these taller defenders are ready along with a full linebacking crew, Hawaii may have a chance if they play again this year. Not that the other DBs are not effective but the more height out there, the better the matchups.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

We don’t play well after a bye week. I just was hoping we would have found a way to fix that. Against a team like Boise we need to start fast and keep the foot on the pedal. I was hoping for a better performance but it was like watching the ugly games early in the season. But I have seen what they can do so I feel okay about the loss. I think that we can win out. It is just up to the players. The plays are there. They just need to execute.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Link

We don't accept a decent loss in the face of adversity...part of the learning curve. Georgia...er Florida...suffers a similar defeat and still remains a top contender. Hawaii should have won this game.
Last edited by SundayJam on Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Many would say a loss is a loss. It does not matter if one loss like Chow by 30 points, or how UA loss to UH by 2 yards. True.

But I thought UH played well.

The earlier "bad" calls really set the tone. And it became an impossible task against a good team.

Post game thoughts? I like Boise's idea of QB by committee.

What I mean by that is QBs that are different. I get that R&S is the Offense. Why not have a Options QB? Add a Pro-Style? Meaning, instead of plugging in CC when McDonald goes cold, why not just run different type of offense? Keep the defense guessing, or less time to adjust.

With time, defense can prepare. But can they be prepared to defend 3 type of offense? Maybe not as well.