Eletise is Eligible

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Former Kaiser HS '16 All-State OL Michael Eletise transferring to UH

Post by kapakahi »

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Former Kaiser HS '16 All-State OL Michael Eletise transferring from Arizona

Post by Irse »

Would be nice to get him only if we don't have any other options at OL. Levao and Hensley will be graduating after next year along with Graves. The incoming Fr probably won't be ready by then so he would be a one year stopgap until Wa'a and Mose are ready.
ImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

It looks like he would have to battle two JC transfers to AZ for the starting job. So looks like he is taking his talent back to Honolulu.

Just wondering if he thinks transferring to UH would give him a better chance? As in the competition is easier?

If his goal is the pros, I would think playing in Pac12 would better his chances, no?

Like the prior year, someone got hurt, his number was called.

Why not complete in AZ for the starting job? He has been there longer, know the system, know the plays, would have a better chance to beat out newbie JC transfers to AZ.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers

Post by Palolo_2LA »

He was clear that he wanted to take his skills of island and shunned UH. I'd make him walk on to earn it since it looks like he hasn't reached his potential and wasn't playing much at Arizona. It should be clear to most that his current team's OL talent is a few notches above UH's, which could make him @ stud here against lessor competition.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

Irse

Post by Irse »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:27 pm He was clear that he wanted to take his skills of island and shunned UH. I'd make him walk on to earn it since it looks like he hasn't reached his potential and wasn't playing much at Arizona. It should be clear to most that his current team's OL talent is a few notches above UH's, which could make him @ stud here against lessor competition.
Why make him walk on here if he could be a stud? Maybe if he has to walk on at UH, he goes to a Utah State or San Jose State on scholarship, then we lose out on him and have to play against him.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:27 pm He was clear that he wanted to take his skills of island and shunned UH. I'd make him walk on to earn it since it looks like he hasn't reached his potential and wasn't playing much at Arizona. It should be clear to most that his current team's OL talent is a few notches above UH's, which could make him @ stud here against lessor competition.
When he made his decision to go to Arizona, UH had just fired Chow and was coming off 4 very bad years. Rolo was hired but still unproven. Maybe his decision would be different if he was a high school senior now like Arasi Mose.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

uhwarriors wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:46 pm
When he made his decision to go to Arizona, UH had just fired Chow and was coming off 4 very bad years. Rolo was hired but still unproven. Maybe his decision would be different if he was a high school senior now like Arasi Mose.
You have a point....However, It is my understanding he made it clear he was leaving the island during his Jr year at Kaiser and wouldn't meet with UH coaches. There's a respect factor that feels wrong if he comes back bc he needs UH.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

There is an unflattering article about him and that is, he was being beaten out by a walk-on at Arizona. Hawaii could always use some muscle on the offensive line whether walk-on or scholarship. He would have 1 year to make Hawaii proud.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Let's assume his decisions/actions during HS was as stated above.

This brings up a good point for kids to take. Don't burn your bridges. People do remember, even the people that you don't know, but know you. You never know where life takes you. Sometimes, life take you to strange places you didn't plan or expect.

Irse

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:49 am Let's assume his decisions/actions during HS was as stated above.

This brings up a good point for kids to take. Don't burn your bridges. People do remember, even the people that you don't know, but know you. You never know where life takes you. Sometimes, life take you to strange places you didn't plan or expect.
Very true
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Irse wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:09 am
cabanalane wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:49 am Let's assume his decisions/actions during HS was as stated above.

Very true
I agree too. But let's look at his particular case. If he didn't want to talk to UH when he was a junior as stated above, he may have in fact burned bridges. But if he did, he burned his bridges with Chow's staff which was in place during his junior year in 2014-15. Eletise committed to Arizona on 7/28/15 before his senior year and was already a true freshman at Arizona when Rolovich was hired in 11/16. So he didn't burn anything with Rolovich's staff, but he perhaps did with some fans.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

eletise certainly would make the arizona opener much more interesting.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

uhwarriors wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:01 am
Irse wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:09 am

Very true
I agree too. But let's look at his particular case. If he didn't want to talk to UH when he was a junior as stated above, he may have in fact burned bridges. But if he did, he burned his bridges with Chow's staff which was in place during his junior year in 2014-15. Eletise committed to Arizona on 7/28/15 before his senior year and was already a true freshman at Arizona when Rolovich was hired in 11/16. So he didn't burn anything with Rolovich's staff, but he perhaps did with some fans.
Don't get me wrong...add em..but no scholie for him bc he's a 1 to play 1 and the too good for UH bs

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Unless he is an exceptional player I wouldn’t want an olineman with only one to play one. If he can come in the spring and beat out one of our starters maybe. But From what I have seen so far with the group we have is we really need for them to work on their play as a unit. Too many unblocked blitzers.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I live in AZ, and was listing to the sports radio yesterday and they were talking about Arizona football. So it was funny to hear the other side of the story (somewhat related).

They did say there are a few transfers at OL that are "real impressive." So I can see how Eletise is not feeling the love from Arizona.

But the part I want to share was recruiting. They said that Arizona's goal is to get 1/2 of all their local kids. And their primary recruiting pipe-line is CA and TX. And Hawaii was one of the top 5 mentioned. I didn't know that. So they are looking at Hawaii's kids.

And they said "a lot of these kids don't want to leave home" (so that's why it's important to get 50% of local AZ kids.

So it's hard to get Hawaii kids, because they don't want to leave home? I thought most (the better ones) would leave the first chance they get?