All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Re: Bowl projections thread!!!!

Post by stranger808 »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:08 am
My3Cats wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:04 am

Notre Dame, in a down year, came out to Hawaii to play in the bowl game because they were recruiting what's his name, the guy who got catfished.
For real, really? I mean, that was the reason why ND decided to accept the invitation to the Hawaii Bowl?

Well, I guess that paid off good for them.

Manti Te'o?
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

stranger808 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:17 pm

Notre Dame, in a down year, came out to Hawaii to play in the bowl game because they were recruiting what's his name, the guy who got catfished.
For real, really? I mean, that was the reason why ND decided to accept the invitation to the Hawaii Bowl?

Manti Te'o?
Yes, I know this was all the in past.

I still don't get it. Yes, anyone can be fooled. And that's not the question. The way this drama unfolded, how could it have dragged on?

More so, Te'o was the football star, there should be sorority full of girls to play with after school. Ok, he was brought up right with good family values. There has to be many to choose from that would fit his taste, and he can bring home to mom and dad. But instead..how could this happened?

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:14 pm BYU is guaranteed an invite to the Hawaii Bowl if they are bowl eligible per ESPN. I just want Hawaii to get those three more wins to qualify. Doesn't matter where they play, they will be watched.
Good choice, for us old timers. Who remember the days of Dick Tomey and Bob Wagner. And let's add Norm Chow the Trader. Local boy coaching on the wrong side.

For the younger guys, BY-who? Why? Is it because of Dylan Collie the Trader.

P.S. This just popped in my mind. Imagine if Dick Tomey had Bob Wagner as DC (yes), and Norm Chow as OC. Chow said he "wanted to come home."

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Yup. And I believe that it was reported in one of the papers that Notre Dame actually spent more money than they received from the game to bring their whole staff and stuff out to Hawaii. They could have easily gone to any number of bowl games on the mainland and made at least a small amount but chose to come here instead. And I believe that this was several years after Notre Dame cancelled a regular season game against the Warriors at Aloha Stadium because of the success that Hawaii (under June Jones?) was having with the resurrection of the Warriors at the time. Then again, I can't find this anywhere on the web to prove it, but I remember that it was discussed back in the day and in the papers.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Found it. Story about Texas and Notre Dame game cancellations.

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2000/0 ... tory3.html
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Thank you for the flashback. I remember now, how some teams don't want to come to Hawaii because it cost too much, etc, etc. But there was an underlining story behind why, and it's not about the $$$.

I don't know, I think UH need to play "that game" too. What if UH never play Washington? 4-0?

Looking at the Arizona Wildcats. What if they never play Hawaii? 4-0? What do they have to gain by playing Hawaii? Tomey was alive and well when the schedule was set to have the Home and Home series.

What if UH blows everyone out of the MWC, and that "one loss" may come back and hurt UH.

I get it, it's good for UH to play Pac12 as that's a good measurement. But 4-0 sounds better, no?

Loosing to "powerhouse" Washington means nothing. Still a loss. If Wash became the National Champ, it's still a loss for UH.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:54 am Thank you for the flashback. I remember now, how some teams don't want to come to Hawaii because it cost too much, etc, etc. But there was an underlining story behind why, and it's not about the $$$.

I don't know, I think UH need to play "that game" too. What if UH never play Washington? 4-0?

Looking at the Arizona Wildcats. What if they never play Hawaii? 4-0? What do they have to gain by playing Hawaii? Tomey was alive and well when the schedule was set to have the Home and Home series.

What if UH blows everyone out of the MWC, and that "one loss" may come back and hurt UH.

I get it, it's good for UH to play Pac12 as that's a good measurement. But 4-0 sounds better, no?

Loosing to "powerhouse" Washington means nothing. Still a loss. If Wash became the National Champ, it's still a loss for UH.
i don't know if we play as well as we did against nevada if we never had the experience of the washington game. it is good to get tested early and an early loss is better than a late loss, in the eyes of the polls.

daddy
Starter
Starter
MLB: Kansas City Royals
NFL: Chiefs and any team w/CB

Post by daddy »

You guys, I’m pretty sure it’s NY Day bowl or Hawaii Bowl for UH, per request of UH. There’s just not enough financial benefit to playing a mainland bowl game that isn’t one of the huge ones. Also, per Wikipedia, the MWC automatic tie in to the Las Vegas Bowl ends in 2020. I’m unsure if that’s this season or the 2020 season.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

daddy wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:41 pm You guys, I’m pretty sure it’s NY Day bowl or Hawaii Bowl for UH, per request of UH. There’s just not enough financial benefit to playing a mainland bowl game that isn’t one of the huge ones. Also, per Wikipedia, the MWC automatic tie in to the Las Vegas Bowl ends in 2020. I’m unsure if that’s this season or the 2020 season.
I think this is the last season of the MWC champ/Las Vegas Bowl arrangement, if I remember correctly.

You are correct in there being no benefit to going to a non-elite mainland bowl. the thought that "mainland is better" is something we need to stop doing. The Hawaii Bowl is one of the better non-elite bowl games and we should not feel bad about playing in it. We also need to support it, because if it goes away we will have nowhere to go, more often than not. I mean, who wouldn't be hyped for a bowl game between a good BYU team and a good Hawaii team this year?

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

MWC loses Las Vegas Bowl, but gets a spot against a PAC-12 team in an LA Bowl game in the new Rams stadium.

daddy
Starter
Starter
MLB: Kansas City Royals
NFL: Chiefs and any team w/CB

Post by daddy »

poidog wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:09 am
daddy wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:41 pm You guys, I’m pretty sure it’s NY Day bowl or Hawaii Bowl for UH, per request of UH. There’s just not enough financial benefit to playing a mainland bowl game that isn’t one of the huge ones. Also, per Wikipedia, the MWC automatic tie in to the Las Vegas Bowl ends in 2020. I’m unsure if that’s this season or the 2020 season.
I think this is the last season of the MWC champ/Las Vegas Bowl arrangement, if I remember correctly.

You are correct in there being no benefit to going to a non-elite mainland bowl. the thought that "mainland is better" is something we need to stop doing. The Hawaii Bowl is one of the better non-elite bowl games and we should not feel bad about playing in it. We also need to support it, because if it goes away we will have nowhere to go, more often than not. I mean, who wouldn't be hyped for a bowl game between a good BYU team and a good Hawaii team this year?
100%

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

daddy wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:12 am
poidog wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:09 am

100%
90%. Everything except I don't like watching BYU. Rather see an Bowl eligible from the Big 10 or 12.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

what if the group 5 football teams banded together and formed their own playoffs?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ll-playoff

oct.04 article at ESPN by paul sabin and seth walder lists hawaii as one of 13 teams with a chance at making the imagined group 5 playoff bowl game.

boise state, utah state and air force also listed.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Utah State is not the team it once was. Boise has been struggling with substandard teams this year. Air Force is coming off three straight losses. Cincinnati just sent UCF out of the top 25. I think the whole college play-off scam is a joke. UCF had a legitimate shot at the title the last two years. So many of the SEC teams play weak teams...including the whipping boys of the SEC. Hawaii in the Hawaii Bowl.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

BYU v Hawaii is the Hawaii Bowl according to the CBS Sports predictions.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.