Receivers

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Receivers

Post by Waryor »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:59 am I like to think UH hopefully should be able to sign "taller" receivers in the future. If there is a hailmary pass, height will win.

You guys recall Unga. Wasn't he like 6-6 or 6-5? Yes, I know UH don't use TE in the R&S, but there were passes only he could catch just because of his height. There were times he make D. Brown look good.
Panoke 6'2
Ealy 6'3
Mardner 6'5

All are freshman and had good camps.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Nice.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

To think that we still have Lincoln Victor, Kumoku Noa, Jonah Panoke and others ready makes this a really deep unit

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Markazulu wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:05 am Im curious to see how people handle the 5 wide look.
A lot depends on the D's schemes and personnel and what combination they need to bring pressure on the QB. Pressure is the best weapon against the 5 wide.

Bringing 6 against 5 OL and playing man will force the QB to throw a hot read or be sacked. All receivers need to run their blitz breaks (i.e. slants or quick outs). I like this option if you have the secondary personnel to play man. The QB will need to release in less than 2 seconds and the receivers need to be on the same page otherwise big advantage to the D.

If the D can put enough pressure with say 4 and not blitz then they can mix or disguise coverages and force the QB to make a quick decision.

If the D drops 8 say in a Cover 3 and the OL holds up, the QB should be able to pick a part the coverage if he is patient. There will be shots in the seams or by putting the S in conflict situations. It will be tighter in the medium range so the QB needs to be careful with thrown in this area. He'll need to get to the under routes or check downs.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:19 am Byrd already got the attention of the opposing coach and media but I saw Ward's catch last year where he ran the end line of the end zone to stay in and make an amazing catch. I think Ward has NFL potential. He has the ability to run the end lines and not lose his balance. I saw Sharsh fall several times during the highlights. I think Jared Smart is a good teammate. Knew the kid when he played tee-ball.
Vince Vaughn: "I'm just sayin'."

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Would like to see Stovall get more playing time than Sharsh. Stovall is a little more athletic.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:59 am Would like to see Stovall get more playing time than Sharsh. Stovall is a little more athletic.
He's a playmaker but he has to learn the offense. I hope with this experience with the O, he will pick it up quicker.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:51 am
shrek2 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:59 am Would like to see Stovall get more playing time than Sharsh. Stovall is a little more athletic.
He's a playmaker but he has to learn the offense. I hope with this experience with the O, he will pick it up quicker.
The thing I also like about Stovall is he is a big time player. He has good vision on a punt and made a fair catch when there were five defenders bearing down on him and he picked up a rolling punt so that it wouldn't get closer to the end zone. Miano called it dangerous but I knew what his intentions were and he has either big hands or sure hands to field the ball without a juggle. Also, even after two good kick returns he formed a line to block for Justice Augafa.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Washington will be very physical with our receivers at the line of scrimmage. The slots in motion will have to break free. We will need Stovall in the slot to get some catches in space and make some things happen.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I got a feeling that Sharsh is going to fall out a favor. Not that he is bad, or made mistakes, etc. It's just the other guys seems to be better. I hope Sharsh does find a place to on the team to shine. I know, only two games. But this is it, only 11 games left.

Sharsh is related to Chad Owen, correct? So it should be in his DNA.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

cabanalane wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:20 pm I got a feeling that Sharsh is going to fall out a favor. Not that he is bad, or made mistakes, etc. It's just the other guys seems to be better. I hope Sharsh does find a place to on the team to shine. I know, only two games. But this is it, only 11 games left.

Sharsh is related to Chad Owen, correct? So it should be in his DNA.
I think Sharsh will continue to play but on one catch over the middle he lost his footing and fell so no YAC. I think Stovall has the ability to make the kind of plays that we've already seen of Byrd and Ward.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

We need to get our 4 best receivers that understand the system on the field at the same time. Right now three for sure are Byrd, Ward and Smart.
Sharsh has the edge as far as knowing the system. Only the coaches know how far Stovall has come. What is evident is that Stovall is physical and has speed. If he gets the ball with some space he could be a real threat to make people miss, break tackles and the speed to beat DBs. We need this kind of threat. Byrd is the ideal slot, quick and shifty. Ward has the speed to run by you, leaping ability and is a playmaker. Smart has shown flashes of being the smart intelligent, possession type of receiver. I categorize Stovall as a physical, playmaker who can make something out of a short pass. And I wouldn't forget about Philips he has shown a little of what he can do the few times he has been in there. Against Washington The D will have to play well. Depth could become an issue. But we will need to score and the key will be our receivers beating the press. Our best chance will be to out score them. And expect a trick play it is Peterson.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Against competition so far, Byrd and Ward could run by dbs. Smart isn’t afraid to make catches over the middle. Sharsh isn’t so much a deep threat, but more a possession guy. Mix in Stovall ... then Levao 6’6, 340 lbs, Furuta ...
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Just throw to Jojo.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

If opponents now focus on Byrd and/or Ward ... get the ball to Stovall. If there’s three dbs on the field that can cover these three ... something else gotta open up, no?
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."