shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Post game thoughts vs Arizona!!

Post by shrek2 »

Kinda wish local boy would learn how to deflect complements and not only credit offensive line but the speed of the receivers and the ability to get free. Too much "I" in the interview.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

UH vs Arizona game deemed best week 0 game in college football history
https://www.bannersociety.com/2019/8/25 ... ro-history

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I don't know how you found this but great find ubercow. Hawaii's listed on several of the lists. My guess at this point ESPN would love to buy the Oregon State game from Spectrum.

Wild Warrior
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Wild Warrior »

My top 10 thoughts:
1. The o-line was greatly improved and for the most part dominated AZ's d-line.
2. Great blitz pick-up by our running backs when AZ decided to bring pressure.
3. Byrd could go down as one of the top three receivers in UH history if he stays healthy this year.
4. Cole needs to be a little less greedy and take what the defense is giving him and not force the ball into coverage.
5. Cordeiro is a very solid insurance policy, and if Cole has another game where he tries to force the ball too much - We might see Chevan as the eventual starter.
6. Give Coach Smith credit for calling a great game. Arizona had no idea what the offense was going to do most of the night.
7. Given the six turnovers that we had to overcome, the defense was for the most part pretty solid. A few blown coverages, but I did not see our DB's being outplayed physically.
8. D-line was solid against the run - Would like to see more pressure on the QB.
9. Manley Williams IS THE MAN - He made one of the greatest effort plays in UH history. To force Tate out of the pocket and then finish off the tackle 35 yards later as time expired was pure guts & desire. Great job young MAN !!!
10. If the Warriors can avoid the injury bug, this can be an 8 to 9 win team.

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

Dabo Swinney (Clemson HC) gives DT #49 Manly Williams props.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 121078001/

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Nisei wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:15 pm Dabo Swinney (Clemson HC) gives DT #49 Manly Williams props.

That's awesome. Thanks for posting.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Nisei wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:15 pm Dabo Swinney (Clemson HC) gives DT #49 Manly Williams props.

I don't know how you found this one but good catch. Maybe we'll be able to recruit in the South.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I get going on fourth and short. Fourth and 10 is very low odds. Up one TD at the 40 Rolo should have kicked it inside the 20. AZ did what they needed to do, drop eight and protect the 10 yard play. Let the receiver make a catch short of 10 yards. Force the QB to pass into tight coverage and that is what happened. Rolo put the team in a bad situation. Sure Cole should have never tried to force the pass. If your Coach is a gambler and you put your QB in a gamble situation guess what your QB is going to take a gamble just like you. Here's the deal Cole. I am taking a low odds gamble but I don't want you to gamble too. I hope Rolo learns from this game too. He made some good decisions last year but also made some bad decisions.

This team can be very special if this team would just execute the O and take care of the ball. And the QB and the coaches need to take the time to settle the players down and remind the players in the heat of the battle. That's where leadership comes into play. You could see early on that AZ couldn't stop us. Settle the team down after the first two INTs. Make it a priority at half time. Call time out after Furuta's fumble. We are up by 14. We can put AZ away. Where was the leadership from Colt? from Rolo?

As a Coach, as a QB and as a team we continue to learn and grow.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:01 pm I like the fact that they have two quarterbacks that can run the offense and almost interchangeable. Mason Vega looked like he was getting some penetration on the line. I like the db's although there were some blown coverages. Was Kaimana Padello on coverage on a deep wide receiver who caught the ball and fell on the 1 yard line? Also liked Ikem Okeke's attitude shoving one of the Arizona's player face out of his face after Arizona scored. Not out of anger but just treating the kid like a nobody.
Padello was on coverage and picked up the runningback who just ran past him on a wheel route. No contest. I also saw him in pass coverage early on in the game which made me scratch my head. Nice play call by Arizona to create the miss-match.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

TheDuke wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:19 pm I get going on fourth and short.
i like going on fourth and many inside the opponent's field. but, throw deep. there's always a chance for a completion or pass interference to keep possession. if it's intercepted, it's no worse than a punt.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

RedZone wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:26 pm
shrek2 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:01 pm I like the fact that they have two quarterbacks that can run the offense and almost interchangeable. Mason Vega looked like he was getting some penetration on the line. I like the db's although there were some blown coverages. Was Kaimana Padello on coverage on a deep wide receiver who caught the ball and fell on the 1 yard line? Also liked Ikem Okeke's attitude shoving one of the Arizona's player face out of his face after Arizona scored. Not out of anger but just treating the kid like a nobody.
Padello was on coverage and picked up the runningback who just ran past him on a wheel route. No contest. I also saw him in pass coverage early on in the game which made me scratch my head. Nice play call by Arizona to create the miss-match.
Thanks. Hope this exposure is closed up for the next game. D-end to linebacker to corner?

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Waryor wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:16 am

Both fumbles occurred after they got first downs. Hawaii would have had first down at AZ 26 and at AZ 18. AZ fans calling Hawaii mediocre... what does that make AZ then? :lol:
Kevin Sumlin is on his way out. So they are trying to think of every excuse to CYA.

Since this was a Tomey tribute game, Arizona has not had a successful coach since Tomey. Yes, they "chased" him out, and look what they got for the last few decades..Tomey is GOAT in AZ.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

double post, not sure what happened.
Last edited by cabanalane on Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

As usual, all of Duke's comments are pretty much gold. I'd like to add that the players had a profound desire to get it done. Jaime Escalante (Stand and Deliver) similarly promoted GANAS...a strong desire...to motivate his underprivileged students. It was a dominant performance on all sides of the ball by Hawaii diminished by some amateur mistakes.