Post game thoughts vs Arizona!!

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post game thoughts vs Arizona!!

Post by couz808 »

Turnovers turnovers turnovers! Offense needs to fix those. QB controversy again? Chevan or cole? Byrd is the word!!! He was on fire tonight. Defense needs to improve or we are going to have a lot of shootouts. Turnovers didn’t help the defense but almost let zona tie the game on that prevent defense. Overall the team has a lot of work to do to improve. 6 more wins until we are Hawai’i bowl bound!

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Post game thoughts vs Arizona!!

Post by st808 »

looked like a week zero game, both teams had shiny moments, luckily hawaii had more than arizona, and dull moments, luckily arizona had more of them than hawaii. just pulled my tickets out and noticed byrd was featured on tonight's tickets, byrd is fast. impressed with hawaii taking the lead early and answering each arizona score. fumbles and ints need to be addressed. is cole trying to hard to go deep while staring down his chosen receiver? how were arizona's receivers able to coast into no coverage so many times? fortunately, a lot of arizona's open receivers dropped the ball. worried about time management at the end of the game, taking the snap with more than ten seconds left on the snap clock when you should be trying to squeeze every second off the clock to preserve the lead.

rolo's got this team playing better ball this year, should be a lot of improvement by the time oregon state rolls into town.

a win by any other name is still a win.

sure wish more seats were filled.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Great Win over a PAC 12 team at home. Rolo is right the turnovers are unacceptable. The O-Line has improved big time. When Arizona rushed 3 and dropped 8 into coverage they got picked apart. But when Arizona blitzed Hawaii had some difficulties on offense. The special teams and defense did a good job making big plays when it was needed the most.

Live Aloha/Play Warrior
Go Warriors!

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Came home after the game and watched the telecast on DVR. Rick Neuheisel was absolutely correct that Cole's benching was a punishment meant to teach him a lesson. He will learn from this. Good to know that we can win a game with our backup QB and #3 RB and backup center in the game. That's depth we haven't had in forever. Defense did a pretty good job considering they had to scheme for Khalil Tate and got burned a few times because of it. Good first game. Rolo got some cash out of it, too!

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

McDonald is the second coming of Timmy Chang. Wild highs with wild lows. Some of his throws were amazing last night. Some of them were also grade school garbage. Chevan is his Jason Wheldon, and will be for his entire career.

I thought the defense did pretty well all considering. If you had told me the offense would turn it over 6 times, I would have guessed Arizona scored 70. Depth at MLB is taking an enormous hit way too early in the season with Pritchard hurt.

This team ain't perfect, there will be bumps in the road...but no can argue with 1-0. First P5 win in years. It ain't the Brennan era, but this was exciting.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

It was an exciting game especially the finish. Turnovers ? Didn't we fix that already? Obviously NOT. Should have been more the other direction. Well it's a win and they were not favored so not too unhappy about the results. Good to have Chevan to step in when Cole is lost. Hard to tell the rest of the team to not turnover the ball when you are doing it. Essentially we have 2 good QBs (at least). I am cautiously optimistic for the year. LOL like usual
Last edited by dakineguy on Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Waryor »

I thought this was the biggest win and most entertaining win since the 2010 season. More games like this will help bring fans back. But we need consistent winning and can’t lose Rolo

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

Best opening game in 20 years or so!!!

A few thoughts...

Big props to Cordeiro for closing out the game and helping the team to a win, but I don't agree with the benching. CM and the offense scored 35 points, the only thing that change when Cordeiro went in is the conservative play calling, why couldn't Rolo tone it down for CM? It's not like CM is incapable of running the option either. I think CM got far too much blame for the INT's, coahcing and the receivers should've shared that with CM.

Secondary is a work in progress, too many times were they trailing receivers and letting them blow by them. Whoever the Safeties are, those were the ones that needed to be benched aside from that pick in the redzone, they looked completely lost and bit on play action far too much. #4 was getting roasted I was surprised to see him last the game or most of it.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

Post game conference https://youtu.be/LT16aMKtbJ8
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

dakineguy wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:19 am Post game conference https://youtu.be/LT16aMKtbJ8
Thanks
ImageImage

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

My cudos to the OL. They did a great job in pass protection and the running game.

Turnovers were terrible. Cole forced throws. He is comfortable with the system. A little to comfortable. He thinks he can make every pass. No one can. He needs to take what the other team gives. The TOs were reminiscent of the Sugar Bowl. I thought Colt didn't take what Georgia was giving and trying to go long when long wasn't there.

Dumb turnovers by Furuta and Holly. Big runs and a fumble. Both were crucial. They need to protect the ball at all times. And they need to be aware of the game situation. In both cases we were rolling and could have put the game away.

Too many blown coverages. Arizona's big plays were too easy and uncontested.

In this offense you take what they give you. This win was well earned. We built a lead and never gave it up. Lots of positive signs. Lots to build on.

I like this team.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

More thoughts

The rushing game has improved

With 220 lbs. Cole adds another dimension running the ball inside the 1o.

Impressed with Stovall returning kicks. He has speed and change of direction and savvy.

Very strong receiving corp. Smart and Philips are good YAC guys with speed. I think Stovall would also be a game changer with YAC. This could be the fastest receiving corp at every position that we've had.

former DI player
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by former DI player »

couz808 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:50 pm Turnovers turnovers turnovers! Offense needs to fix those.
yes.
QB controversy again? Chevan or cole?
probably.
Byrd is the word!!! He was on fire tonight.
yes.
Defense needs to improve or we are going to have a lot of shootouts. Turnovers didn’t help the defense but almost let zona tie the game on that prevent defense.
no. this is a trash take. there were blown coverages but overall, considering the lack of depth at middle linebacker and 6 turnovers playing against one of the most explosive offenses in the pac-12, they did pretty good. there's still much to work on, but most of the big plays were on missed assignments or bad positioning not because players were getting beat. the secondary actually was the strength of the defense last night. you can't help that turnovers were happening on back to back to back plays.

without those turnovers, this game wouldn't have even been close

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Run defense seemed pretty solid.
Padello is a beast ... relentless.
A bit worried about linebacker depth. Down to three with experience.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Run defense seemed pretty solid.
Padello is a beast ... relentless.
A bit worried about linebacker depth. Down to three with experience.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."