pay rolo

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: pay rolo

Post by cabanalane »

kalua pig wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:03 pm

mwc coach of the year and a win against boise will speed up the process.it is inevitable.
Now may be the best time for Rolo to leave.

The odds are against UH-Rolo to repeat. Sometime Vegas odds just bounce a certain way. Sell when the value is high.

If UH win the MWC, the only goal left would be a "perfect" zero loss season. That's incredibly hard to accomplish.

When on top, you can only fall. Then value drops and no one wants you. At the end of the day, it's a busine$$.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

it's not like UH can do nothing about how much he gets. they can always renegotiate his contract, change it from a bottom 10% contract ( https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/ ) to one that shows that they want him to stay here. Not saying UH has the ability to match CSU's 1.8m (up to 2.7m) that their current coach is getting, but like any business you need to put forth some effort to show that you appreciate the good work that someone is doing.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:48 am

mwc coach of the year and a win against boise will speed up the process.it is inevitable.

The odds are against UH-Rolo to repeat. Sometime Vegas odds just bounce a certain way. Sell when the value is high.

If UH win the MWC, the only goal left would be a "perfect" zero loss season. That's incredibly hard to accomplish.

When on top, you can only fall. Then value drops and no one wants you. At the end of the day, it's a busine$$.
I agree. I like Rolo but would be happy if he could get a better deal elsewhere. I don’t think he is going to get it here. I am hoping to see him get a P5 job somewhere.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

RedZone wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:32 pm
cabanalane wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:48 am

I agree. I like Rolo but would be happy if he could get a better deal elsewhere. I don’t think he is going to get it here. I am hoping to see him get a P5 job somewhere.
I'm ok either way, but as long as we can retain most of the coaching staff and keep the R&S. I really like this coaching staff would be happy if we could retain at least half of them (especially Weber).

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

This year BB's base pay was $820 less than Rolo's.
His new contract will no doubt push Rolo to #11 of 12 MWC Coaches
San Jose State, Brent Brennan set to formally announce new contract
By John Taylor
Dec 13, 2019, 12:48 PM EST

Brent Brennan has yet to reach the .500 mark at San Jose State, but his bosses have seen enough to reward the 47-year-old head coach.

A press conference has been called for Friday afternoon at 3 p.m. ET that will feature Brennan and a pair of SJSU leaders, athletic director Marie Tuite and president Mary A. Papazian. According to the school, the presser has been called to announce a contract extension for Brennan.

Brennan’s current deal is scheduled to run through the 2021 season; details pertaining to the extension are not yet available.

During his first two seasons with the Spartans, Brennan went 3-22. This past season, SJSU improved to 5-7, the football program’s most wins since the six they put up in its last bowl appearance in 2015. Those five wins in 2019 included SJSU’s first victory over rival Fresno State since 2016.

According to the USA Today coaches salary database, Brennan was paid $599,000 in guaranteed compensation in 2019. That number was 10th among the 11 Mountain West Conferences coaches listed in the database.
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... -contract/

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

Sort of the problem to be the head coach at UH. Have you seen how empty the stands are year after year? UH football needs taxpayer support. And too many taxpayers simply don’t care about UH football.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

I like how history repeats itself... no matter what we do as humans we do repeat ourselves in history.

We know that both June and Rolo love Hawaii but?

Von-Appen to June Jones... and UH sits on there hands while other schools come in with big wallets and Hawaii loses out on keeping June.

Norm Chow to Rolo… and UH sits on there hands again?

After the bowl game, UH better be seriously talking to Rolo about renegotiating his contract to keep him home at Hawaii!!!

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

100% correct. But how will people feel when the football coach is making big dollars? Mac did take a lot of heat. I can see JJ's case. The stadium was full, and coming off of a Sugarbowl, hard to argue against. Attendance at Aloha stadium is fallen a bit/not changed. We can't blame Chow for that anymore. People are just not interested in UH football.

Then you factor political issues. Rail, homeless, and now buying that prison. Is there any room for a salary increase? Sure, merit % maybe. But not the big dollars that mainland schools can throw around.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:17 am 100% correct. But how will people feel when the football coach is making big dollars? Mac did take a lot of heat. I can see JJ's case. The stadium was full, and coming off of a Sugarbowl, hard to argue against. Attendance at Aloha stadium is fallen a bit/not changed. We can't blame Chow for that anymore. People are just not interested in UH football.

Then you factor political issues. Rail, homeless, and now buying that prison. Is there any room for a salary increase? Sure, merit % maybe. But not the big dollars that mainland schools can throw around.
don't care how people feel about the coach making big dollars.that is just jealousy and a stupid way of thinking.compare rolo's salary to his coaching peers.none of our political issues should fall on how much we pay the coach.and yes,there is enough money to throw around.it is being thrown in the wrong direction.
Last edited by kalua pig on Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

kalua pig wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:20 pm
cabanalane wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:17 am 100% correct. But how will people feel when the football coach is making big dollars? Mac did take a lot of heat. I can see JJ's case. The stadium was full, and coming off of a Sugarbowl, hard to argue against. Attendance at Aloha stadium is fallen a bit/not changed. We can't blame Chow for that anymore. People are just not interested in UH football.

don't care how people feel about the coach making big dollars.that is just jealousy and a stupid way of thinking.compare rolo's salary to his coaching peers.none of our political issues should fall on how much we pay the coach.and yes,there is enough money to throw around.it is being thrown in the wrong direction.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

WarriorTyme wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:59 pm I like how history repeats itself... no matter what we do as humans we do repeat ourselves in history.

We know that both June and Rolo love Hawaii but?

Von-Appen to June Jones... and UH sits on there hands while other schools come in with big wallets and Hawaii loses out on keeping June.

Norm Chow to Rolo… and UH sits on there hands again?

After the bowl game, UH better be seriously talking to Rolo about renegotiating his contract to keep him home at Hawaii!!!
June Jones didn't love Hawaii. Hawaii was his last hope. We couldn't pay the $2million salary that SMU could to support a losing program. Norm Chow was a loser's bet on a losing coach. He axed both Rolo and Aranda. The hire of Chow and his cronies was nonsense. The hire of Von Appen was nonsense. I like that McMackin brought in both Rolovich and Aranda to foster this program but that germ was killed when the idiots hired Chow. Programs like Boise do not do the same. Rolovich is clearly good for the program but I wish we still had Dave Aranda as well. Sadly, the highest paid defensive coordinator in college football expressed gratitude when Utah State hired him following Chow's dismal.

Hawaii is stupid and doesn't understand its place in college football.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Aranda's defense seems to get better and better, with each year, since he left Hawaii. Let's assume the man stays the same, what changed is the players he can recruit.

Recall how badly Notre Dame wanted Kenny Niumatalolo. Some consider him to be worth $3M. But I wonder how much of it has to do with the players. Players are still the ones that play the game. We hold the coaches responsible when team/players failed, but we hold the (academic) student responsible when the student fails with a F.

Going back to Chow, there were high hopes. Hawaii was suppose to be USC-like. The players never came. The assistant coaches never came.

The point I want to make is IMO, throwing money in hiring a HC is not going to make a difference, if players don't want to play for Hawaii - geography, distance, not mainland. Rolo can only take Hawaii so far. IMO, Rolo is almost there. Therefore, almost done in Hawaii.

Rolo the coach, can become more, on the mainland.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

fresno and unlv are paying their new coaches between 1.2 and 1.5 million.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

kalua pig wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:28 pm fresno and unlv are paying their new coaches between 1.2 and 1.5 million.
. . . and both are unproven as head coaches too.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

rolo needs to get paid.you already know cuz.