7/27/19 Practice Notes

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

7/27/19 Practice Notes

Post by uhwarriors »

Saturday’s practice was in helmets only. Good thing because it was hot and humid with some Manoa mist. I think they can start practicing in full pads on Monday.

The practice featured a lot of teaching especially for the new QBs and receivers on some basic RNS plays. New QBs Zach Daniels and Boone Abbott have good lively arms, but as expected have a steep learning curve.

To increase 11 on 11 reps, the first and second offenses went against the more experienced defense while the less experienced and newcomers on offense went against the less experienced defense at the same time on different parts of the field. McDonald, Cordeiro and Uahinui were with the more experienced offense. Lincoln Victor was the only newcomer that got reps with the experienced offensive group.

Daniels, Abbott and Kamalii Akina were the QBs with the less experienced 11 on 11 group. Rolo was personally instructing them. Much of the time I couldn’t see what was going on with this group because there was a tree blocking my view. All I know is that there were a lot of interceptions and apparently a lot of near interceptions on that side of the field.

McDonald has gained some good weight. He continues to try to tighten up his throwing motion. It has improved a lot since he was a true freshman. Cordeiro seems a little bigger and his arm seems a little stronger this year. Uahinui seems to have a little more zip too.

Jonah Panoke had a good day making a number of good catches. Victor is sturdily built and has good acceleration and hands. He doesn’t look lost as many freshmen in the RNS offense can be. WR Mekel Ealy has the physical attributes and some good talent. I need to see him more to draw any conclusions, but he is an intriguing prospect. Stovall has tools to be a real good one at SB. He has great acceleration and body control. Needs to learn the offense better.

The O-line is the same as it was at the end of spring practice: LT Manning, LG Hensley, C Levao, RG Vaipulu and RT Pryor. Moore, Vanterpool, Taaga/Tanuvasa, Sunia and Nuuanu-Kuhiki are the second group. Eletise is a specimen, but wasn’t getting much reps in team drills probably because his waiver request hasn’t been approved.

Ward, Bryd, Stovall and Smart took reps fielding punts.

DEs Jonah Laulu and Mason Mataafa look bigger this year. It was also good to see DE Mason Vega practicing since he missed all of spring practice. DT Doug Russell continues to drop weight and appears lighter than the 290 he is listed at.

Some new single digit numbers mixed in with some old ones gives 6 defensive players single digits: 1 Pavihi, 2 Pritchard, 3 Hicks, 4 Farris, 5 Bethley and 8 Ford.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: 7/27/19 Practice Notes

Post by shrek2 »

Thanks uhwarriors. I kinda saw Stovall as our answer to John Ursua leaving. Hopefully he can accelerate the learning curve. Is there any possession receiver with the length to keep his body between the ball and the defender as Armstrong-Brown did last year?

HawaiiMongoose
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HawaiiMongoose »

Mahalo for the practice notes, much appreciated!

Glad to hear Victor is getting reps with the experienced group. I think a lot of folks have Stovall penciled in at the slot opposite Byrd but it’s good to have a plan B. Also glad to hear Ealy might be the real deal, even if it’s still too early to know for sure. I thought his highlight videos were pretty impressive.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:07 pm Thanks uhwarriors. I kinda saw Stovall as our answer to John Ursua leaving. Hopefully he can accelerate the learning curve. Is there any possession receiver with the length to keep his body between the ball and the defender as Armstrong-Brown did last year?
    Jared Smart is the leader at X now and he is the biggest receiver with the 1st group. But AB is 6-3, 210 while Smart is 6-0, 190. Smart seems to run good routes, has good hands and may be a little faster than AB. Smart may become the possession guy, but he’ll have to do it with good routes and techniques rather than with the physicality AB had.

There are others in the depth now that have the height and could grow into a wiry strong receiver although each is more a speed type guy now. Jonah Panoke is 6-2, 185 is at Z behind Jojo Ward. Nick Mardner is 6-5, 190 and Mekel Ealy is 6-3, 180.
    HawaiiMongoose wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:09 pm I think a lot of folks have Stovall penciled in at the slot opposite Byrd but it’s good to have a plan B.
    Plan B is Mathew Sharsh and he was the Y with the 1’s at the start of spring practice and continues to be early in fall practice. While he might not have some of the physical abilities of others, he’s smart, quick enough, knows the offense and has good hands. He had a pretty good Hawaii Bowl when Usura was out. Because he knows what to do and does it well, he’s going to be hard to beat. If anyone beats out Sharsh, he’ll have to be executing at a much higher level than he is now.

HawaiiMongoose
    Pom pom fluffer
    Pom pom fluffer

Post by HawaiiMongoose »

uhwarriors wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:50 pm Plan B is Mathew Sharsh and he was the Y with the 1’s at the start of spring practice and continues to be early in fall practice. While he might not have some of the physical abilities of others, he’s smart, quick enough, knows the offense and has good hands. He had a pretty good Hawaii Bowl when Usura was out. Because he knows what to do and does it well, he’s going to be hard to beat. If anyone beats out Sharsh, he’ll have to be executing at a much higher level than he is now.
    I like Sharsh, and not just because I'm also a Moanalua grad. But I was under the misimpression he was competing at wideout. Thanks for setting me straight.

ubercow
    Site Admin
    Site Admin
    MLB: KC
    NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

thanks for the report

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

HawaiiMongoose wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:47 pm
    uhwarriors wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:50 pm Plan B is Mathew Sharsh and he was the Y with the 1’s at the start of spring practice and continues to be early in fall practice. While he might not have some of the physical abilities of others, he’s smart, quick enough, knows the offense and has good hands. He had a pretty good Hawaii Bowl when Usura was out. Because he knows what to do and does it well, he’s going to be hard to beat. If anyone beats out Sharsh, he’ll have to be executing at a much higher level than he is now.
    I like Sharsh, and not just because I'm also a Moanalua grad. But I was under the misimpression he was competing at wideout. Thanks for setting me straight.
    You're not wrong about Sharsh. Sharsh is very versatile and has played both SB and WR. In most of spring and fall practice in 2018, he was at the Z until Jojo Ward won the position.

Parkpill
    Starter
    Starter
    NBA: Sixers
    NFL: Browns

Post by Parkpill »

Mahalo for the practice report! It's great information for those of us who can't make it down to practices.

My3Cats
    *True Sports Fan*
    *True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Mahalo plenty for the report uhwarriors!
    Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
    *True Sports Fan*
    *True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

uhwarriors wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:39 pm
    You're not wrong about Sharsh. Sharsh is very versatile and has played both SB and WR. In most of spring and fall practice in 2018, he was at the Z until Jojo Ward won the position.
    uhwarriors, I enjoy your practice notes. Haven't seen one in a while. Know you're busy but wondering if you have any more insight on the practices you can share. Mahalo.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:41 am
    uhwarriors wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:39 pm
    uhwarriors, I enjoy your practice notes. Haven't seen one in a while. Know you're busy but wondering if you have any more insight on the practices you can share. Mahalo.
    Sorry, unfortunately I wasn't able to go to any more practices before they were closed. I definitely have withdrawal pains and won't get to see them again until the Arizona game.

shrek2
    *True Sports Fan*
    *True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

uhwarriors wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:04 pm Sorry, unfortunately I wasn't able to go to any more practices before they were closed. I definitely have withdrawal pains and won't get to see them again until the Arizona game.
    I always value your insight. Thanks for doing this post. Hoping the defense can hold Arizona.