shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Coach Rolo Incentive Laden Contract

Post by shrek2 »

Neighbor wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:02 am That first Pilares TD still gives me chills, but I'd argue Chow's team did the best against USC in 2013. But we still lost. Even 2014, we should've beaten Washington and Oregon State but fell just short. I'm just hoping we can get back to being "so close" in these big-time games.
Hmmm, in 2013 Lane Kiffin was USC's head coach. He was fired after 5 games. I never liked Lane Kiffin after seeing him fail with the Oakland Raiders. Chow's teams did well against the Pac-12 but I think there was a fraternity between Chow and the rest of the Pac-12 coaches. UH got demolished by the Big-10. Ohio State 38-0 and Wisconsin 28-0 in 2015, then Rolo lost to Michigan in 2016 63-3. Seems like there was a time during the 80s and 90s UH actually had a winning string against the Big-10 teams.

Markazulu
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Markazulu »

Man really wish our offense came out to play in those 3 games (usc 2013, washington 2014, ohio state 2015) defense actually played pretty well in all of those games. Loved seeing tulimasealii wrecking havoc against ohio st because the mainland announcers couldnt pronounce his name lol or that brendan Daley goal line stop up the middle.
shrek2 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:55 pm
Neighbor wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:02 am That first Pilares TD still gives me chills, but I'd argue Chow's team did the best against USC in 2013. But we still lost. Even 2014, we should've beaten Washington and Oregon State but fell just short. I'm just hoping we can get back to being "so close" in these big-time games.
Hmmm, in 2013 Lane Kiffin was USC's head coach. He was fired after 5 games. I never liked Lane Kiffin after seeing him fail with the Oakland Raiders. Chow's teams did well against the Pac-12 but I think there was a fraternity between Chow and the rest of the Pac-12 coaches. UH got demolished by the Big-10. Ohio State 38-0 and Wisconsin 28-0 in 2015, then Rolo lost to Michigan in 2016 63-3. Seems like there was a time during the 80s and 90s UH actually had a winning string against the Big-10 teams.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Markazulu wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:19 am Man really wish our offense came out to play in those 3 games (usc 2013, washington 2014, ohio state 2015) defense actually played pretty well in all of those games. Loved seeing tulimasealii wrecking havoc against ohio st because the mainland announcers couldnt pronounce his name lol or that brendan Daley goal line stop up the middle.
shrek2 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:55 pm
Would have helped big time if we had Iosefa for that USC game. It's funny looking at the box score and seeing Aofaga Wily and Saint Juste on there

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

During the Chow era, the offense and defense could never perform at the same time. When the defense was playing well, the offense could not move the ball. When the offense was playing well, our defense struggled to stop third down conversions on 3rd and long.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Where are Chow's offensive and defensive coordinators now?!!! A better question would be: Where are McMackin's offensive and defensive coordinators now? Rolovich is a successful head coach at Hawaii and Dave Aranda is unattainable. These were the guys Chow discarded. They each had no where else to go...but UP.

Rolovich is doing well at Hawaii. Thank you McMackin for bringing him back.

I can best sum up Chow's tenure at Hawaii as...How now brown cow? Dave Aranda coached at Texas A&M, Hawaii, Utah State, Wisconsin, and LSU. When Dave Aranda was hired by Utah State he gushed gratitude for the team that took him when no one else would. Now, no one else can have him.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

This is why I say, give Rolo $10K if he beats Arizona because as a quarterback he bought pizzas for the offensive line if he threw for 400 yards. He bought the pizzas for the offensive line when Cole hit the mark. You almost know that he would do the same for the whole team if they beat Arizona.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Actually looking into Rolo's contract, he can actually make up to $1.5 if UH wins the national title. But besides the $1M incentive, he can make an extra $80K if they win the conference title but that's always seem to be an uphill battle with Boise @ Boise and Tedford at the helms of Fresno State. The extension of two years actually adds an additional $80K which is not bad for a mediocre three seasons.
https://projects.newsday.com/college-fo ... -rolovich/
So, basically on the two year extension adds $86,402 to the base with three somewhat mediocre seasons. Add to the incentives winning the Power-5 will make living in Hawaii a little more comfortable.
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... extension/

415hawaiiboy
MLB: Giants
NFL: Niners

Post by 415hawaiiboy »

\:D/ $$$

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Yes sah, cha-ching. Keep the money flowing.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

:banana: \:D/

One down, 12 more to go!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I would really like to see UH give OSU a wake up call <cha-ching> If that happens 7 wins doesn't seem too unobtainable which for Rolo is another cha-ching.

Wild Warrior

Post by Wild Warrior »

Neighbor wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:02 am
SundayJam wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:08 am Meh...McMackin beat Washington State, performed the best Hawaii has ever performed against USC...ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED arch nemesis UTAH STATE...walloped Colorado...got edged out by Washington and a number of other successful marginal teams. He owned Service schools--something no other coach at Hawaii has ever done. He also gave, hitherto unknown, soon to be great, offensive and defensive coordinators their start in CFB...Dave Aranda and Nick Rolovich.
That first Pilares TD still gives me chills, but I'd argue Chow's team did the best against USC in 2013. But we still lost. Even 2014, we should've beaten Washington and Oregon State but fell just short. I'm just hoping we can get back to being "so close" in these big-time games.
I would argue that the 2010 loss to USC we played them better than even and should have won that game:

Final Score: USC 49 UH 36

First Downs - USC 25 Hawaii 31
Total Offensive Yards - USC 524 Hawaii 588

This was the first game of the season and we stalled in the red zone twice and kicked field goals of 24 yards and 40 yards.
Right before halftime Salas caught a 35 yard TD pass, and the referee after signaling touchdown changed the call and said Salas was down at the one yard line. (Replays showed that Salas' knee never touched the ground.) Warriors ended up having to kick an 18 yard field goal two plays later on the last play of the half. (Give us four downs and we score.)
Early in third quarter we gave up an 89 yard punt return for USC TD

I will always remember the 2010 game - I am an absolute USC hater and Kiffin hater - We had a chance to stick it to both and it slipped away. The Trojans barely escaped that game and I new that the 2010 Warriors were ready for a solid year. That was our last conference championship year - Three way tie with Boise & Nevada.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Wild Warrior wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:37 pm
I will always remember the 2010 game - I am an absolute USC hater and Kiffin hater - We had a chance to stick it to both and it slipped away. The Trojans barely escaped that game and I new that the 2010 Warriors were ready for a solid year. That was our last conference championship year - Three way tie with Boise & Nevada.
You and me both. Although I gotta give Kiffin a break since I think he was just not qualified in his earlier positions.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Yeesh. Rolo gets $7,500–12,500 for a win over a P5 opponent. Craig Bohl at Wyoming gets $100,000 for a win over any P5 opponent (they beat Missouri). I hope we keep Rolo happy

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Arizona <cha-ching> Oregon State <cha-ching> Way to go Rolo and the whole Warrior team! Tough going to get the five more though with MWC teams beating Power-5 opponents.