shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Coach Rolo Incentive Laden Contract

Post by shrek2 »

I like the fact that Coach Rolo has an incentive laden contract with bonuses for wins against a Power 5. I think though the bonuses are trivial and I would rather see a $10K for home games and $20K for road games and $30K for any team in the top 20. I would like to see the entire coaching staff get a bonus for increase in home attendance. Such as 30,000 average per game X dollars, etc. It's too bad you can't give the kids more incentive in terms of healthier meals on road trips, etc but I'm hope that there will be a trickle down somewhere.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/07/ ... 2e23cd069c

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Coach Rolo Incentive Laden Contract

Post by My3Cats »

Small steps my friend. UH and Rolo have to start somewhere and work their way up. Especially after the Chow disaster nearly wrecked the program. Looking forward to continued gains.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

The way I kinda look at it is, if they beat a Pac-12 team, attendance and viewership goes up not only locally but nationally so more revenues for UH. They paid $1.1M to coach Mack and $600K to Chow, so this is a way to good way to get him up the salary chart. Football salaries in the NFL are tied to incentives so players like Richard Sherman have a base salary of $2M but $1M if he plays 90% of the snaps, $1M if he makes the Pro Bowl, $2M if he makes all Pro, $2M if he makes in season roster, etc. I say give Rolo a chance to make more money and I think he already knows that his final pay is tied to the players and the team so the benefits will come back to the players which will make UH football exciting to watch.
Last edited by shrek2 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Very happy that UH is making moves to reward Rolo via incentives and not paying the big $$$ like they paid to a total flop with the last name Chow. This obviously gives him a bigger drive to win against the big boys and qualify for a bowl game. We all want to be rewarded for being successful at work, so it makes sense that he can be compensated for successes. #BuildingADynasty
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

The last time Hawaii beat a Power 5 opponent was 10 years ago when they beat WSU in 2009. They beat Colorado in 2011 but they weren't in the Pac-12 yet. So, other than the June Jones days, UH has not been overly competitive against a Power 5 opponent. With the 5.5 win prediction for the number of wins this year by Vegas, it's not going to bring attendance or viewership up unless they can put up a good game against their three Pac-12 opponents. And, less wins, tougher recruiting high quality athletes since nobody wants to play for a loser. I believe UH is the biggest draw to Aloha Stadium so, if they are going to build a better house they need to have tenants that will allow them to get returns on the investment.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Damn, that's gotta be a good feeling. Not only winning a big game, but knowing you just earned yourself a nice bonus of 10s of thousands of dollars

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

shrek2 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:19 pm The last time Hawaii beat a Power 5 opponent was 10 years ago when they beat WSU in 2009. They beat Colorado in 2011 but they weren't in the Pac-12 yet. So, other than the June Jones days, UH has not been overly competitive against a Power 5 opponent. With the 5.5 win prediction for the number of wins this year by Vegas, it's not going to bring attendance or viewership up unless they can put up a good game against their three Pac-12 opponents. And, less wins, tougher recruiting high quality athletes since nobody wants to play for a loser. I believe UH is the biggest draw to Aloha Stadium so, if they are going to build a better house they need to have tenants that will allow them to get returns on the investment.
Uhmmm....wasn't June Jones done in Hawaii after the 2007 season? McMackin was a big part of the June Jones success story. McMackin brought back Rolo and introduced a top-tier defensive coordinator in Dave Aranda to captain the post-Jones years. Chow was kind..of....a....weird woobie thrown out to the local boys who wished they were BYU. I'm disappointed in the lack of respect given to coach McMackin, an NCAA National Championship level defensive coordinator and a highly desirable NFL coach.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Under June Jones, Hawaii was always competitive with Power 5 opponents.
1999 Beat Oregon State in Jeep Hawaii Bowl
2003 Beat Alabama
2004 Beat Michigan State, beat Northwestern
2006 Beat Purdue, beat ASU in Sheridan Hawaii Bowl
2007 Beat Washington
June Jones started Hawaii gaining national attention, then it started slowly going downhill from there.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

When UH under Coach McMackin beat Colorado in 2011, the Buffs were in their first season with the new PAC12. The previous years they were with the Big 12, also a Power 5 conference. I agree though that it's been way too long and overdue for the Warriors to kick P5 butt.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Markazulu
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Markazulu »

In 2011 wasnt colorado apart of the big 12?Also dont know remember because i try to not remember the chow era didnt we beat colorado in 2015?
shrek2 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:19 pm The last time Hawaii beat a Power 5 opponent was 10 years ago when they beat WSU in 2009. They beat Colorado in 2011 but they weren't in the Pac-12 yet. So, other than the June Jones days, UH has not been overly competitive against a Power 5 opponent. With the 5.5 win prediction for the number of wins this year by Vegas, it's not going to bring attendance or viewership up unless they can put up a good game against their three Pac-12 opponents. And, less wins, tougher recruiting high quality athletes since nobody wants to play for a loser. I believe UH is the biggest draw to Aloha Stadium so, if they are going to build a better house they need to have tenants that will allow them to get returns on the investment.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Markazulu wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:37 am In 2011 wasnt colorado apart of the big 12?Also dont know remember because i try to not remember the chow era didnt we beat colorado in 2015?
You're right on both counts. I thought Colorado joined but did not play in 2011 but they were a full member.
https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... ealignment
And, UH did beat Colorado in 2015 although we ended up with a 3-10 record.
https://hawaiiathletics.com/boxscore.as ... h=football
Thanks for correction.

Although my point is that we haven't had too much to cheer for a while. And, the incentives that they have in the contract is a good thing.

Markazulu

Post by Markazulu »

Oh most definitely its a good thing. As long as they keep improving and doing well i hope rolo and company stay for as long as possible. Personally i feel like rolo is the perfect fit for UH.
shrek2 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:37 pm
Markazulu wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:37 am In 2011 wasnt colorado apart of the big 12?Also dont know remember because i try to not remember the chow era didnt we beat colorado in 2015?
You're right on both counts. I thought Colorado joined but did not play in 2011 but they were a full member.
https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... ealignment
And, UH did beat Colorado in 2015 although we ended up with a 3-10 record.
https://hawaiiathletics.com/boxscore.as ... h=football
Thanks for correction.

Although my point is that we haven't had too much to cheer for a while. And, the incentives that they have in the contract is a good thing.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Meh...McMackin beat Washington State, performed the best Hawaii has ever performed against USC...ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED arch nemesis UTAH STATE...walloped Colorado...got edged out by Washington and a number of other successful marginal teams. He owned Service schools--something no other coach at Hawaii has ever done. He also gave, hitherto unknown, soon to be great, offensive and defensive coordinators their start in CFB...Dave Aranda and Nick Rolovich.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Incentive laden contract sounds good, measurable, and suppose to create motivation. This is sports.

However, I don't like it. It shows a lack of commitment. If you do this, then you get paid. If you don't, we save money.

I get it, it's all about the wins. I would not want Rolo to sacrafice some of his "principles" that made him different (I think).

I much rather see a healty contract, win or loose, we are with you 100%. We don't really have to "worry" about his desire to win, because this is sports. Of course, wining is in his (and anyone assoicated with sports) DNA.

But of course, if it does not work out, it does not work out. I see incentive contracts as "I don't trust you..."

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

SundayJam wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:08 am Meh...McMackin beat Washington State, performed the best Hawaii has ever performed against USC...ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED arch nemesis UTAH STATE...walloped Colorado...got edged out by Washington and a number of other successful marginal teams. He owned Service schools--something no other coach at Hawaii has ever done. He also gave, hitherto unknown, soon to be great, offensive and defensive coordinators their start in CFB...Dave Aranda and Nick Rolovich.
That first Pilares TD still gives me chills, but I'd argue Chow's team did the best against USC in 2013. But we still lost. Even 2014, we should've beaten Washington and Oregon State but fell just short. I'm just hoping we can get back to being "so close" in these big-time games.