Konawaena HS '19 PK/P Harry Hill commits

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Konawaena HS '19 PK/P Harry Hill commits

Post by My3Cats »

It's rough enough being a college student. Rougher when you are a walkon. I don't know where Netane is from (too lazy right now to look it up), but Hill and Huddleston are from Hilo, and if they did not have family that they could live with on Oahu then you add in a housing cost to go along with all of the other expenses.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Exactly, and very true. There are situations that can not help.

(Since I'm bored, I'll continue).

Bryant Moniz was delivering pizzas, at the same time supporting his family. He didn't give up on his dream of playing football. The opportunity was in front of him, he took it, the rest is history.

No big loss really. For every guy that don't want to be on the team, there are others waiting and dreaming of that chance.

Whatever their situation is, I just don't see how they would just "give it up."

I don't know them, and wrong for me to say this, but it's not like they decided to focus their time on getting into Stanford medical school and work on stem cell research with NIH.

honu888
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by honu888 »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:56 am Exactly, and very true. There are situations that can not help.

(Since I'm bored, I'll continue).

Bryant Moniz was delivering pizzas, at the same time supporting his family. He didn't give up on his dream of playing football. The opportunity was in front of him, he took it, the rest is history.

No big loss really. For every guy that don't want to be on the team, there are others waiting and dreaming of that chance.

Whatever their situation is, I just don't see how they would just "give it up."

I don't know them, and wrong for me to say this, but it's not like they decided to focus their time on getting into Stanford medical school and work on stem cell research with NIH.
When you talk about players who did what they had to do to make ends meat and still pay for tuition and show up on the practice field every day reminds me of former RB Pareese Joas who occasionally lived on the street not knowing when his next meal was. Came all the way from Plano Texas and wanted to be a Warrior so bad. He played in a few games but was never given the opportunity to show his talent as RB. He did have a few touches but mostly played on ST. When I first saw his HS highlights I thought he had the potential of being a starter or at least contribute more. Anyway it just reminded me of this guy and how he never gave up and showed true passion of being a warrior.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

honu888 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:40 pm

When you talk about players who did what they had to do to make ends meat and still pay for tuition and show up on the practice field every day reminds me of former RB Pareese Joas who occasionally lived on the street not knowing when his next meal was. Came all the way from Plano Texas and wanted to be a Warrior so bad. He played in a few games but was never given the opportunity to show his talent as RB. He did have a few touches but mostly played on ST. When I first saw his HS highlights I thought he had the potential of being a starter or at least contribute more. Anyway it just reminded me of this guy and how he never gave up and showed true passion of being a warrior.
Joas, what year was this? Around what year, just wanted to know.

I don't know what other support officially from the school or may be even Booster clubs (or would that then fringe on the line of payments) could offer players like that.

Academic scholarships for example, are always given to students with good grades. When we think about it, that's make sense. But when you think about it again, what about the student that really need the help? The C students at KCC (for example) who is struggling with school, because maybe he had to catch the bus, and work at nights. And too tired to do this Micro Econ homework. Sometimes, is these students that need help the most. And not the student that can get all As. That scholarship for the C student can really make a difference, and perhaps his future, and future direction for his family.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

If I'm not mistaken, any support, financial or otherwise, that is not offered to any other student, is an NCAA violation. Such as a broken iPad or use of an exotic car for a few days. Can get a head coach fired for that.

https://hawaiiathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=14476

Info on Pereese Joas.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Just ask Rick Pitino.
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/219 ... waii-ties/
Although its been happening for years under the covers. Lew Alcindor aka Kareen Abdul-Jabbar got $1500 per month watching the watering of the stadium. Back in the day, that was equivalent to $11,000 a month in today's money.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Where there is a dream, there is a desire to get there. James Fenderson slept in his car, Alonzo Chopp III worked at 711, how many other woke up early to catch the 4:30am bus. Parese Joas played during the Chow era. This kid was given a shot and could have been on the plane to UDUB last week. Opportunity wasted.. Common Man