Tyson Maeva no longer at Boise St.

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Tyson Maeva no longer at Boise St.

Post by BigWave96744 »

Tyson Maeva (related to former Rainbow David Maeva) is no longer at Boise St.

He started the past 25 of 26 games for the Broncos, was the MWC Honorable Mention in 2017, 2nd leading tackler in 2018 and Polynesian College Football Player of the Year Watch List (2018).

A player of his caliber could really boost our defense, no? He has 2 years to play 1.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/c ... 78030.html

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Tyson Maeva no longer at Boise St.

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:21 pm Tyson Maeva (related to former Rainbow David Maeva) is no longer at Boise St.

He started the past 25 of 26 games for the Broncos, was the MWC Honorable Mention in 2017, 2nd leading tackler in 2018 and Polynesian College Football Player of the Year Watch List (2018).

A player of his caliber could really boost our defense, no? He has 2 years to play 1.

He may be a good player but NOPE. Smoking pot two days before a bowl game? I would pass.
ImageImage

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

I’d take um
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Yes, kids make mistakes. Didn't take this opportunity seriously, etc.

I don't think UH can take him on principle. He did break the law.

If UH sent Kennedy Tulimasealii the football death penalty, UH can not give Maeva the 2nd chance.

The rules are clear. Don't f-up.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Irse wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:04 pm
BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:21 pm Tyson Maeva (related to former Rainbow David Maeva) is no longer at Boise St.

He may be a good player but NOPE. Smoking pot two days before a bowl game? I would pass.
Not considered a crime if our local politicians get their way
https://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/h ... 1763218030

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Since this is a football forum, we'll keep politics out.

From the football perspective, for the states that are "legal," how do athletic teams deal with that? Just wondering if team rules supersede state law? How do schools in CA, OR, etc deal with that? Will or do they challenge it? If students can light up, what about student athletes? They are students first.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:31 am Since this is a football forum, we'll keep politics out.

From the football perspective, for the states that are "legal," how do athletic teams deal with that? Just wondering if team rules supersede state law? How do schools in CA, OR, etc deal with that? Will or do they challenge it? If students can light up, what about student athletes? They are students first.
I think you kind of have to look at the NFL and gauge accordingly. Most players get 4 game suspensions but the last two occurring on December 16th and 20th have an indefinite suspension. Trickle it down to college and I would think that if the player is really good or the team is desperate, they try to keep it under wraps. If its out in the open and public then they have to do something about it. I'm sure that Tyson Maeva can still go to Boise State as a student but not on football team. I don't know if I'd want to watch a pothead playing for the UH.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:15 am
cabanalane wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:31 am Since this is a football forum, we'll keep politics out.

I think you kind of have to look at the NFL and gauge accordingly. Most players get 4 game suspensions but the last two occurring on December 16th and 20th have an indefinite suspension. Trickle it down to college and I would think that if the player is really good or the team is desperate, they try to keep it under wraps. If its out in the open and public then they have to do something about it. I'm sure that Tyson Maeva can still go to Boise State as a student but not on football team. I don't know if I'd want to watch a pothead playing for the UH.
One issue for me is timing. If he did it during the off season when there is not much going on, it's one thing. But to do it a couple of days before a big game, that's different. Kind of reminds me of Randy Gregory.
ImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Irse wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:49 am

One issue for me is timing. If he did it during the off season when there is not much going on, it's one thing. But to do it a couple of days before a big game, that's different. Kind of reminds me of Randy Gregory.
The article read that he was caught on the trip. So he should have know better because the season was not over yet because they got a bowl game. More so, one would think players would use that time to get healthy, rest, workout, etc to prepare of a BIG game. I would think the coaches already stress the importance.

Not a good idea to light it up IN his room.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

That wasn't strike one for Maeva. The was strike three. He's quietly been suspended at other times too.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

if he does come to the warriors it should be as a walk on. let him earn his playing time while holding him accountable for any infractions of team rules.

we've had others who were convicted of criminal offenses play for hawaii and most of them changed their lifestyle and became good players, good citizens and went on to successful lives after graduation.

maeva was never convicted, just evicted from the team. unlike kennedy, maeva's infraction was not violent or destructive, just stupid and vain. if he does walk on, he might be at the point of rehabbing and redeeming his life. give him a chance if he comes our way.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

As one poster stated, he’s had chances. This would not look good to players on the team.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Uhmm...pakalolo is pretty much the norm in most schools. I'm sorry to break the news to you. Smoking a cig is totally legal and so much more bad for you. I don't do either now but I'd definitely look down much more on a tobacco chewing or inhaling athlete than on a toker. Our second chance school ignored much more serious offenses by Brennan, Bess, and Tinoisamoa. In my opinion, the individual McMackin and Kennedy things are totally in line with this b.s.

Please play for Hawaii Maeva. Only, you can't smoke pot.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I think that's what UH is trying to shake off, being know as a "2nd chance" school. I think Rolo is doing that. The Tavai things is kept down low. Or I should say, the flames wasn't fanned. I think if Rolo tell a reporter to do him a favor, they will do it.

But I think UH Leaders are trying to only get Class A players, even at the expense of winning. Going back to Chow (I know, I'm the only Chow Fan left), he talked so much about life lessons and how small the football part is. I don't know if it's because of his faith or UH mandate.

On the pakalolo part, yeah, we all know it's has been a part of school going back to small kid time. But I think the point is not about the legality or good or bad, it's about following rules.

When mom said you can not go out to ride your bike, you can not go. That's it. It's not dangerous or unsafe, and the exercise may actually be good.

Well actually, it may be dangerous as drivers today don't give a xxxxxx about lives.

Maui Boy in Alaska
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears

Post by Maui Boy in Alaska »

He has a redshirt year.

So if he walks on for 2019 and sits out, does counseling and proves he is worth a second chance, I would be ok with him joining the team.

He would then be a 5th year SR in 2020 and could earn a scholarship.